Reaperbryan

In the Depths of Arkturile

Hey, Joel

I threw out a bunch of stuff on Pain Cage in another part of the forum and I added your question to it.

Check it out here and toss some opinions out there guys.

Try to get some comment from people you play against on some of these questions also. There are some intrestresting bits of info there, like Coup De Gracing our own grunts for more pain tokens.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18282

Vysa should be on the shelves in the next few months, and she's your Gen. Sargent.

I recommend getting 1 or 2 PainMages. I feel casters are a core of Darkspawn, and the PainMages are our cheap Elites.

I also suggest picking up some fodder in the near future. These guys are perfect shock troops.

On Tenders, Fodder, and Pain:

I will group together several Broken Fodder and Pain Tenders. Usually 6 Fodder, and 3 P-Tenders. Before you engage with this troop be sure to have some Pain Tokens saved up. The goal is to Charge in the Fodder from 11" (Mov 7 +2(beast) +2(charge) ) which will catch your enemy off guard for the most part. Back these charges up with a pain tender, the P-Tenders will double move 12" and reach the Fodder's rear.

You'll now be able to attack with a MAV of 4 from the Fodder, more if you have ganged up on a model (which I suggest to do)

Ah, but you say it's dangerous to put such a low DV model out into the front line. And I say for the low low cost of two pain tokens you have an invincible grunt with a MAV of 4. And I can garuntee the Fodder will rake in the Tokens as they go.

I forget who suggested this to me, but they deserve credit. It works really well.

I agree that casting is the way to go, but the Witch Queen should be taken before Thuusia IMO

In order to field Thuusia, not only to you have to pay her 43 points you also have to field one of the Captains. The cheaper of which being Javolith at 85 points. Together that adds up to 128 points, just 20 points shy of the Witch Queens 148. 20 points is well worth the cp 8 vs cp 5.

I routinely field the Witch Queen, spend the 15 points to bump her cp to 9 so that I dont even have to roll dice vs most grunts, slap on a firestorm or two and take out more than her points almost every time. Things to look out for: other spellcasters with dispel. No matter how high your cp is, they just have to meet or beat a 10 to dispel what you threw at them, so watch where you aim.

A squad of archers isnt a bad idea since they have 30" bows and can go toe to toe with any other archer on the board. Use them to take out your enemies Range and Magic before it can eat into your grunts.

Finally, bring lots of Warriors and Fodder. I usually bring 4 warriors and 5 fodder lead by Vysa. The warriors are up front to have a slightly better defense in front of the fodder's 8. The fodder on the other hand pack a mav 3 and have an impressive 11" charge with their mov 7 and beast. This will catch your opponent off guard if they're not paying attention. I tend to stay away from the tenders, for while they do have tough/2 and most enemy models will need to make a discipline check to get into BTB with them, I make good use of the pain cage and they take an extra token to ignore damage.

In medium to Large games I'll throw in a spawn or two to open up a front thats difficult to defend against, underground. Unless your opponent has burrowers, a part spell, or a teleport, you can use these guys to seek out your opponent's fleshy spots like their archers or casters.

And while the Soultender isnt a hugely impressive model statistically, an iniative card for 45 points is a steal and helps you get a jump on getting first card in a turn to let you activate your key units before the enemy can nullify them like your caster(s) and your archers.

The important factor is controlling the battle. If you nullify your opponents ability to affect you at range by removing their archers and casters, every turn you're gaining more tokens with your archers and spells. Your first goal should be to remove your opponents ability to hurt you from afar, then take the rest of the time it takes your opponent to close with you gaining pain tokens. If you do this correctly by the time you engage in Melee, not only will you have a model advantage, youre models will be ignoring damage while causing more pain tokens to flow into the cage. The beauty being that if your opponent gangs up on your models and concentrate their attacks, they've only reduced the amount of tokens you need to spend to keep your models alive. If they spread their atttacks, they increase the amount of defensive strikes you get to take.

Good luck and good hunting!

P.S. On a side note, watching Rauthuros beat the snot out of that panzy Guardian Angel in a one on one fight never gets old. Try it and see!!!

Very good advice Emmel.

You offered up some good reasoning to bring out the Queen, so I thought I would offer some counter reasoning.

Having all your eggs in one basket can make it easier for someone to step on. The queen lacks on the survivabilty side unless you invest more points in her; having a Cap. and a Painmage forces an enemy to spread out their fire power twice as much and one of those models is made for fighting, usually. Also, 20 extra points gives you another warrior, it's not something to shy away from.

Don't think of it as which is the more powerful mage, think of it as which will I use more effeciantly. I use the Baron of Whips when I think a flyer would give me an advantage, although in points he is just as much as the, Queen who is a better caster, but the Baron brings alot to the field.

Other than that the Queen is awesome, you said that sometimes you put two FireStorms on her, I have never had the courage to do that. I'm to afraid of her getting taken out before that big 75 pointer is launched off. What spells do you normally take and how many?

My next game I'm using your Vysa troop. I usually go with the Tenders, but I have been using less and less of them in my army, they are just too expensive and the Reach bonus isn't worth it when there aren't any Trencher grunts.

Squish proxy the Rauthuros into a small game, it will be worth it even if you lose. Just watching the other models move choatically just because of his very presence. And watching the cheer on their face after they finally did a point of damage to him dissapear as he heals himself with a Life Transfer. I can't wait for this one.

Other than that the Queen is awesome, you said that sometimes you put two FireStorms on her, I have never had the courage to do that. I'm to afraid of her getting taken out before that big 75 pointer is launched off. What spells do you normally take and how many?

Well I keep her alive by keeping her behind the warriors and keep the warriors alive via pain tokens

A normal load out for her for me is as follows

witch queen 148

+1 cp 15 pts

1 dispel 10 pts

2 ice shards 20 points

2 fires storms 150

5 warriors 100

total troop cost 443

in a smaller game say 750 pts I might take only one fire storm just to free up points for more grunts

Well I keep her alive by keeping her behind the warriors and keep the warriors alive via pain tokens

witch queen 148

+1 cp 15 pts

1 dispel 10 pts

2 ice shards 20 points

2 fires storms 150

5 warriors 100

total troop cost 443

in a smaller game say 750 pts I might take only one fire storm just to free up points for more grunts

Do you ever use Life Transfers with the Queen, or do you just rely on the Paincage?

Doesn't it seem like overkill to the +1 cp? Unless playing against Nefsokar, the CP 8 has always seemed enough for Ashkrypt.

PS

Do you ever use Life Transfers with the Queen, or do you just rely on the Paincage?

I dont, but thats just because out of spite since its a necro spell

I should :)

I don't think I've seen Pete field an evil mage without at least one since the Necro book came out. I know I haven't fielded Yagun Oog w/o at least one since then as well.

witch queen 148

+1 cp 15 pts

1 dispel 10 pts

2 ice shards 20 points

2 fires storms 150

5 warriors 100

total troop cost 443

Doesn't it seem like overkill to the +1 cp? Unless playing against Nefsokar, the CP 8 has always seemed enough for Ashkrypt.

PS

Depends, really. If your opponent is fielding big stuff with 14-15 MD, you may find the points spent on the CP upgrade to be worth it.

As for healing... I usually just use the pain cage for grunts. If the Queen is taking damage, either you've made some serious tactical mistakes, or your opponent has someone with long-range Scry Shot and a brain.

I just fought my first battle against the Darkspawn this evening. I already hate pain cage with a passion. What a mean special ability to have to deal with! Add to that the queen with a boatload of ice shards and it was a very tough fight.

Of course, my opponents would probably say the same about mercy...... :rolleyes:

Castlebuilder

I just fought my first battle against the Darkspawn this evening. I already hate pain cage with a passion. What a mean special ability to have to deal with! Add to that the queen with a boatload of ice shards and it was a very tough fight.

Of course, my opponents would probably say the same about mercy...... :rolleyes:

Castlebuilder

especially since Mercy kicks in before the Pain Cage does :O

I’ve recently decided to start collecting a Darkspawn army. I was wondering what everyone suggested as far as a good starting point? Is it worth it to get the box set?