Just pay me what you owe me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Freelancer! Sometimes I'll field a Merc army, but I find the trade off too high. Orba is a killer, but all I get for it is 3 re-rolls (which I forget about or misuse). If I go Freelance I get a huge selection of models, the best of the best. Tactics? All over the place. I field archer heavy armies, magic heavy, fast attack, big solos and min troops. I'll change the lineup just to try something new. I don't play horde armies, but I could. And I usually play Good Freelance. I'm trying to branch out, try some Evil, see what happens.

I normally play mercs, following Orba rules even if I don't use Orba (only one non merc data card). At 1000 pts (or standard game so far) I have been finding the Lupine Lord being my "Go To Killa". Blowthrough, High Dis., and some magic items, makes him worth more than twice his points. Stepping out of melee (automatic unless wounded or vs. Necro) and shooting is better than 2 +4 attacks.

Nicole of the Blade is another awesome buy, just for the tactician ability. I try to fit in at least one other shooty unit, if not two.

My standard list usually includes:

Lupine Lord with Shaman plus ragers/grunts

Nicole with Crossbows and possibly wizard

Sigurd plus grunts

Soulcannon or Elves

going to 1500, I would definitely include Orba. The low cost of the grunts should enable you to outnumber most opponents. Orba's ability to snipe another data card should be used either for a second shooting unit, or possibly a cheaper cleric, since the Shaman is unique, and Orba can benefit from his own cleric.

Couple of tricks with the Cleric: Teleport the Soulcannon into position or cast speed on the speed boosted Lupine Lord to line up the best shots early.

No matter what configuration I use, the Lupine Lord is always the Top Killa, and is an awesome scuplt anyways....

I'm actually contemplating making a Freelance company using my Reven, and adding in a troop with Lupine Lord, Shaman and a few Ragers. They are all fairly pricey models, so I will likely not do this until I'm in the 1500-2000 point range.

With the change in the Default Reven Faction SA, I'm not as worried about losing them to add these three model types into my force. And I think they kind of fit in nicely with the other Reven.

Warwick and I have battled it out numerous times. Some of those armies he comes up with are just brutal. Regardless of who wins, it's usually not by much. Like 1 or 2 models remain standing, usually wounded. Think Arnold at the end of Predator. Something like that. :lol:

After watching him do the Freelance thing a lot, I'm actually starting to like that idea. Granted, you can lose some darn nifty army specific SAs like Bane and Mercy. But to be able to pick and choose who you want, awesome! ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

I'm not so sure the Ragers are worth it, and being a non-faction does pose certain negatives.

The new Default faction abilities for the Reven, I am more willing to lose than I was with Warcry and Enrage (now Tomukh - Bull Orc - Sublist SA)

Capt and Shaman are very nice models, and I dunno... Two attacks at MAV 3, two damage tracks, and a potential charge of 13 inches [Mov 7 + Beast (4) + Bloodlust/2] and still being able to attack sounds pretty damn good to me for 44 points of Lupine Rager.

And the level 3 Shaman will be a nice addition, since the Reven lack a Cleric with level 3 spell casting. I can Teleport the Hill Giant into your back ranks and have fun :devil: If he is allowed access to the new Shaman spells in the Reven book, all the better ^_^

I think the thing I would hate the most, is that I would have to record victories as a Mercenary - Freelance company, as opposed to a Reven force, w/ an add on force.

I have a mad plan. Not sure it's a good plan, but I'll be using it at some point:

I have great success teleporting Ymilrix into battle. So I'll take Fatima from the Nefs, and Dauron from the Necros, and teleport both Ym and Dauron! A pair of killing machines across the board at once!

PS

Test that one on another victim Pete. :poke:

Lemme know when you'd like to try it out, I can whip up a force of suitable test subjects to throw at this plan and try to break it. I can bring one of my standard lists we've seen before to see how it stands up, so we can test how effective it would be.

Yeah...joys...more monsterous heroes to get teleported into my ranks.

Though if I go with a gobbo force, that's going to be about 30 odd ranks ::D:

First off, we Merc and Freelancers don't deserve to be at the bottom of any list. So there.

Second, I noticed a thread where a person made mention of the Darkspawn having the most variety of Solos in the game. For shame, sir or madam! Freelance has double handfuls of Solos. I drip with Monsters. I wade in a tub of Solitaires. My cup...it runs over, ya dig? So to end this rant, I'll say to any gamer wishing to enter Taltos with the most flexible army in town, go Freelance. You opponent will never know what's coming next, and that's worth any army ability in my book.

My name is Orba Sinhan and I endorse this message.

2 of my favourite unite for Mercs are Sister of the Blade and Lupine Ragers . Ok, they're both adepts but they're a good place to start . Also crossbowmen , if you need ranged attacks (they're no worse then dwarves and have RAV of 3) . Their other units aren't bad , they're just not exceptional . The real good thing is the ability to add one troop from another faction . :wub: