Sign in to follow this  
drjsallison

Reptus Wardrums are calling....

You can have adepts in different troops, you just can't have the same adept in different troops.

cant remember how much crimson embrace is, but I'd swap that for something else either more bless or more bandage, or if its a more expensive one, maybe a hold.

Anything that makes me take more damage just aint worth having. Not to mention TKay without some kind of magic upgrade isn't going to be successful against your better enemies MDs, so you would be wasting your embrace against lower level enemies.

But, that is just my opinion. That and I would probably drop 1 breaker and 1 ranger and add 2 warriors and possibly divine favor or troop standard. The warriors DV+deflect just make them better in most cases than does the others higher MAVs, again in my opinion.

But isn't Crimson embrace cast on a freindly model? I think that would make it a boon if your fighting opponents with tough multi track models

crimson embrace says that one of YOUR models can take a point of damage to ALSO cause a point of damage to an enemy model. That fact alone is why I NEVER have even thought twice about using it.

But, if I did, I would assume that it then is considered an attack spell (no +2 for casting on friendly units) that would have to be done against the enemy's MD. And if one of MY models is going to take damage, I am sure not gonna waste that spell on a grunt, and most elites or leaders have higher MDs. Since TKay starts at a 5 anyway, that is not a lot of success range without some kind of help...

Crimson Embrace is listed as a non combat spell so you would get the +2 for casting it on a friendly model. Although at 20 points it is rather spendy for a single point of damage that causes one to your own guy as well.

Crimson Embrace is a non-combat spell cast on YOUR model. It gets the +2 to hit.

Absolutely a a good idea. Send in a grunt with some support to kill an Enemy. It hits, then it falls, but that automatic second DT loss to that Enemy is great, especially targetting a Spellcaster for example, where most are next to useless on their last DT.

Spending 40 points or so to take 2 DT off a bigger model, or potentially dropping it, is not a bad trade off. Especially when that second track loss requires NO additional rolling.

Crimson Embrace is a non-combat spell cast on YOUR model. It gets the +2 to hit.

Absolutely a a good idea. Send in a grunt with some support to kill an Enemy. It hits, then it falls, but that automatic second DT loss to that Enemy is great, especially targetting a Spellcaster for example, where most are next to useless on their last DT.

Spending 40 points or so to take 2 DT off a bigger model, or potentially dropping it, is not a bad trade off. Especially when that second track loss requires NO additional rolling.

This is exactly how I like to use the Embrace. I also like to put it on one of the pit fighters and have a bandage waiting to clean up the mess. another way I have found it useful when taking on the heavy hitters. Nothing will ruin their day faster than a model under the effect of Crimson embrace that misses in its combat phase and gets wailed on by the baddie durring his turn, use tthe defensive strike with Aura of Jade thorns and Crimson embrace to deliiver a two track hit that they didn't expect. Ouch!

wait...

so, its a NON combat spell that does damage?

Not sure that makes sense, but I'd take it...

Would it be affected by the Nefsokar's SA?

The spell itself doesn't do the damage, the model it's cast on (reptus) causes an extra point of damage.

Not sure how "Sokar is near" would effect this. I don't have my book near by.

then another question would be timing of the spell being cast. Does it have to be cast before the melee attack? Is it cast before or after a hit is achieved? If it is cast before, then what if the melee attack misses? Does it only last one turn, or until the next succesful attack?

Sokar is near would effect the Casting check done on the Cleric to the Friendly model the spell is being cast on. Effectively it would negate the +2 bonus to casting on a friendly model. You need to beat a 10 since it's a non-combat spell. It's the same as trying to cast Bandage on a Friendly model.

T'Kay casts it on a Reptus Skullbreaker. Successful check = T'Kay's CP + 2 + 1d10 >= 10. If that weenie Sokar was near to screw things up (not that I am bitter) Successful check = T'Kay's CP + 1d10 >= 10

It's a Non-Combat spell because the spell targets a friendly model. The model then causes the extra damage by making a successful melee attack by sacrificing an extra DT. It's essentially a Short Term Magical Equipment Upgrade like Bless, which is also a Non Attack Spell, but can lead to damage being caused.

Damage being dealt does not determine whether it's Attack or Non Attack. Look at the host of spells that do not cause Damage that are considered attack spells.

I'll need to double check the spell when I get home to comment on your other questions Stub.

Okay, home, and had a chance to read it. Now, couple things. Could a Mod move this chunk of the thread into the Rules Discussion? It's probably more appropriate there, at least starting from this post to this one here.

There is nothing in the spell description about duration. I'd hazard a guess that the effect of the spell would last until the targetted Model successfully hits, or the turn (not activation) ends. So, if it is cast on a model that has already activated, the only chance it would have of making use of the spell would be during a Defensive Strike/Shot/Magic. Another thing to note is that it does not say the model has to make a melee attack, just that it causes a point of damage. This could be from a Ranged attack or spell as well. Something for you suitcases to chew on and think about.

Another thing to note is that it does not say the model has to make a melee attack, just that it causes a point of damage. This could be from a Ranged attack or spell as well. Something for you suitcases to chew on and think about.

Following up with that line of thinking, what about on a mage that then casts a firestorm... would all damaged targets take that extra point of damage?

No, because you suffer a single piont of damage to inflict an additional (single) point of damage. I think the Crimson Embrace only applies to affecting a single model of yours and the point is taken by a single foe.

Score a victory for the Khazareen Lizards. I want to see the BOP map with lots of lizards on it. Jason, we can take this prov soon I am sure.

All hail the mighty dragon, Payanak. :ph34r: