All-Terrain Monkey

Asylum Testing August 26 2005

Hello! Here's this week's installment of our Asylum testing. All topics have the ReaperMatt seal of approval. Besides testing some Crusaders and CAV stuff we ran into or discussed the following for Warlord:

Summary of Asylum Testing 8/12/05

0 errata (a printing problem)

1 actual change (the mechanics as presented just aren't saying/doing what we want them to say/do)

3 clarifications (the material is already in the book but some people are doing this one way, some another, this is the way it's supposed to work).

Errata (printing problems)

-------------------------------

No Errata needed this week.

Changes (mechanics changes)

Reach and Base Size

The original working of Reach needed some adjustments due to the base size of the partcipants involved.

p. 71 under "Reach"

Add new last sentence: "The base size of the supported model must be the same size or lower than the model with the Reach Special Ability."

Clarifications (explanations of mechanics)

Shifting Base to Base Contact

Once a model is in base to base contact with an enemy model it may not shift position or "slide" against that base to base contact. The only allowed movement is what is already delineated in the Attacker Adjust/Defender Adjust rules on page 61. Note that a model can always succeed a discipline check to break close combat and move position (p. 58, Leaving Close Combat). The model would still need to move away from base to base contact and then enter into base to base contact in the desired spot; sliding would not work since any base-to-base contact with an enemy model ends movement (p. 58, Base-to-base Contact with an Enemy Model). Thus, a model that has attackers on opposite sides would not be able to slide out from them.

Cavalry Adjustments

As long as the movement does not break existing base to base contacts Cavalry may adjust facing according to the rules on page 61. If the movement would cause a base to base contact to be broken it is therefore not allowed. Note that new base to base contacts may be created when adjustments are made.

Line of Sight Corridors

This has been addressed in threads before but a official clarification doesn't hurt. There are three states of Line of Sight. A corridor half an inch wide that can be drawn from any point of the attacker's base to any point of the defender's base without any obstructions whatsover is a clear line of sight; no modifiers or penalties are incurred. Any models in that half-inch corridor the same base size as the target model grants Light Cover. If no line can be drawn between the two model's bases Line of Sight is completely obstructed. (Reference drawn from "Model Size" page 53).

---------------------------

As always we ask that any replies to this post remain on topic with the points discussed in the top post and any new questions be placed in new topics to be addressed accordingly. Thanks and have fun!

So, just to clarify with an example....

Bull Orc Hunters have Reach, and are Standard base size.

Yagun Oog has Reach, and is Large base size.

Yagun Oog (Y) could provide Reach support to the Bull Orc Hunter (H) vs the Defender (D)

YYYHHDD RIGHT

YYYHHDD

YYY

But the Hunter cannot give Reach support to Yagun Oog vs the Defender.

HHYYYDD WRONG

HHYYYDD

....YYY

How does that effect a model with the SA Big?

They are on a standard base, but are considered Large base for purposes of cover.

Lord Ironraven comes to mind immediately.

Does this mean he cannot provide Reach support to any of his soldiers?

How does that effect a model with the SA Big?

They are on a standard base, but are considered Large base for purposes of cover.

Lord Ironraven comes to mind immediately.

Does this mean he cannot provide Reach support to any of his soldiers?

if hes bigger he would be able to provide reach but not receive reach support.

its still a good question though...

My gut instinct would be that the Big modifier wouldn't affect it and that Ironraven would be able to be supported by standard bases. I'll check with Matt on Monday for an official ruling, but I'd say yes.

clarification on your clarification of LOS.

For over analytical minds like mine:

A mage is standing directly behind a grunt. Both are standard based. The sculpt of the mage happens to be taller than the sculpt of the grunt.

Are you saying that any unit of mine with range abilities (arrow or magic) could attack the mage with only a light cover penalty?

Also, just wondering how often yall are going to update the downloadables over on Reapergames with the new errata decisions?

Big is a Special Ability which makes you 1 size category larger than your base size would otherwise indicate. For some reason Lord Ironraven has it (yes, he is sculpted about 7' tall, but Varaug is sculpted about 9' tall and isn't Big...) I would suspect that this applies to _all_ applications, but I dunno!

Big Models do exactly what you were saying, big sculpts do not...

DChihorn, all of my references in the LOS portion referred to the Target Model's Base or base size. If you could target a specific portion of the mini some models such as Arik would be doomed on the battlefield.

Velveteen, Ironraven's Big compared to some of the other Crusaders, but obviously not when compared to the Hill Giant ::D:.

That is correct, the Angel's Base Size is larger than Ironravens, therefore Ironraven could not lend a reach bonus to the Angel. If he was in base to base contact with the same enemy he could provide support still; the Reach change only affects the reach bonus.

I know you probably meant reach bonus too, I'm just being overly sure everyone's on the same page ::D:.