Sign in to follow this  
Michael-TLH

Paint scheme

I was painting the the Wizard of Malvernis 1 yesterday, and for me, I looked at the mini, and knew what colors it should be. However, later I was thinking, what would someone else think? How about the sculptor (Bobby Jackson)? I'm sure he had something in mind when he did it.

For me, it's a scarlet cloak, with a black stole and trim.

There was no question. Anyone else get that with a mini?

There was no question. Anyone else get that with a mini?

All the time - I think it's a mark of how you can tell an exquisite miniature from a merely good one - when you first see it you can 'see' it painted, in your mind. The colour scheme is just obvious. I never buy a figure unless I already know how I'm going to paint it before it's off the shelf.

- Most Reaper Miniatures are in this category.

You have a good point, Smoky.

I don't always know what *exactly* I'll be painting for a mini, but I do have a good idea what it will look like.

I always thought it was some idiot-savant thing I did...

--I'm an excelent painter, yea...

--lstormhammer

I tend to experiment too much. I'll think I have a great scheme and then decide at the last minute to change the colors. I often end up buying more than one mini just to change them around a bit. Bet the bosses hate to hear that, eh Kit? :p

I was painting the the Wizard of Malvernis 1 yesterday, and for me, I looked at the mini, and knew what colors it should be. However, later I was thinking, what would someone else think?

To me, it looks yellow and black. The veil, trim, and cross are black. The rest an orangy yellow. The cross on the staff is bone. The staff itself is light brown wood.

I don't necessarily have a color scheme ready when I buy a miniature, I think about it a lot, and change my mind a few times before I settle on one. So if had this mini, I'd likely go over the scheme a few more times before painting it. Not that any result is necessarily better than an earlier thought.

If I need the mini for a reason, I try to sketch it out ahead of time so I end up more consistant.  I usually know what to paint it when I am cleaning and primering them.  

If I am painting for fun, more often than not, I just play with it.  I might change my plan multiple times before finishing the job.

Very rarely, like with the Mummy of Hakir(?) I can sit down and know just how he needs to look when I'm done, and actually do it in one sitting, and be satisfied I did it right.

cbs

I'd paint the robe some kind of beige or sandy yellow with faded black. gold and grey for the different parts.

I've been inspired by Morrowind's characters (PC-XBox game) lately, if you couldn't tell by the sugestion heh.

I usually have a vague scheme idea when I buy a mini, I usually start having ideas when I pick one from my desk (and shelves and boxes and...). But this leaves me in danger of getting what I call color block, when I can't figure one or the last color on an almost finished mini. †:angry:

Maybe I shouldn't have asked.. now I have a deep urge to see it painted in other schemes too..

No! I'm not buying more of the same mini.. not until I finish painting all the oens I own.. which should be about 2032.

How about the opposite? You ever buy a really cool looking mini.. and have no bloody clue about color? I know I have a couple I pick up, look at.. put back in the box.. Can't think of a Reaper example of the top of my head tho.

Another idea is to simply group paints together by 'These would look good together'.

OK, I've been watching too much 'Changing Rooms' (the british, not the dumb American one)

--lstormhammer

I never have much of an idea what color scheme I want. eventually i focus on the largest surface, whether that's skin or a cloak or the armor. Then I decide what color would look good as the dominant tone on that surface. Then... i just go for it. the model seems to ask for other colors along the way. a friendly mini might tell me that i'm going to dark overall & need to add some bright colorful accents. another mini might tell me that there's not enough variation. slowly the color scheme just builds. I find that i'm actually constrained by the colors of paint i like best since i'm too lazy to spend too much time mixing. Since i've got 3 good reds & 2 good red-browns, i get a lot of minis calling out to me from that spectrum...  :O

i don't think i'm actually that creative with color. i'm too afraid of things "clashing" or looking "unnatural". I painted for a couple of years (but not really that much) about ten years ago & just started painting again about 18 months ago. So i'm not nearly as experienced with my colors and color schemes as others on this board.  :(

i'm thinking of showing my pics, not too show off, but just to show y'all what i've done so i can (hopefully) get some tips from people with more experience (and skill, the thing that hurts most is i've never had a mentor, i'm entirely self-taught).

Since I paint professionally, I tend to let the client pick his/her own colors. What looks way cool to me, may look hideous to someone else. If at all possible, when buying minis just to paint and sell, I will try to get multiple copies and do them all different. Sometimes the difference between a red cloak or a blue one makes all the difference to a buyer! Of course, if it looks super hot, I tend to get a copy for myself as well!  :angry: Now I need to find out how to submit an idea for a totally whipass mini based on a character of mine (he would almost definitely have to be in the Warlord line!).

Since i USED to be forced to paint for a nameless, faceless muti-national mini company, i now tend to paint darker, earthy-er tones, to compensate for the bright, bright mini's i did for them. And i tend to just sit with a mini for a few minitues, and let my muse hit me, then paint in a kind of meditive state, not thinking too much, just letting the paint flow. I find the type of music i put on as background music affects the final color scheme too....

Funny... that's the same paint scheme that I started to paint on that mini... Red and black.

Then, I got sidetracked with something.. and that led to another mini... that led to another...

Now I don't like my basecoat on it at all, so it sits on my sheld waiting to be stripped.

*sigh*

If I don't know how I'm going to paint it just by looking at it in the blister, it uually only takes me a few moments of examination of the mini to figure out a basic color scheme

Some just "come to me" while others are a struggle. The miniature of my Soreceress Tanith was set in my mind when I bought the mini. Perfecting it on the mini has been another thing.....

Other start out with an idea, I get the color on them and half way I go "what was I thinking!" That's looks awful together." Then the poor mini sits there until I refigure it's color scheme out.

And then there are the minis I buy because they are just so "neat" that I have to have them (I have a lot of those) And they sit around waiting for me to paint them.

Lady Tam