Vidor

Mengu

For some strange reason I'm frequently drawn towards Ben Siens sculpts, and this was one of them. I need a model for my NMM class at Gencon, and Vidor jumped up and volunteered. The sword is possibly one of the worst you can come across. I had to do a lot of "paint sculpting" to give it some definition. It's a very "round" sword to begin with (if you've worked with him, or look at a blister, you'll understand what I mean).

But the part I had fun with on this model was the skin. Used MSP paints for the whole thing. The skin has selective glazes of green, orange, and purple in places. I was essentially copying Vallejo's skin techniques brought down to miniature level, just to see how it would work. I think it turned out all right, but I'll let you be the judge.

Oh and don't ask what the red scales are... I don't know.

StageComplete.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I painted the scales on "Boris" by Ben Siens the same kind of color as well, I just imagine them as being some sort of dragon scale armor. :poke:

The sword looks great, really like the darkness of tone and the smooth paint work. Also the skin looks good with that technique, MSP's are great to have around for doing skin, so easy to get nice results with all of their skintones being so handy IMHO.

No reason you can't laminate scale red. Looks nice.

Personally, I go with checkerboard scale occasionally - alterating steel and bronze. I know they historically edged some armors with bronze scales or rings because, well, it looked cool. It sure does on the minis. I'd post one, but I'm a few thousand miles from my minis these days and I've got a 3x zoom.