Things that make you go hmm.

Akela

Having once been a volunteer for the National Park Service at Fort Pulaski(Savannah, Ga) and at Kennesaw Mountain and Chickamauga, there are historical buffs who go to the point of counting the number of stitches in an inch of top stitches. Grey, I have come to learn, can be anything from RPP Ash Gray to RPP Dpve Grey, and all shades in between. Every depot produced different shades, with highly variable levels of color-fastness. It's enough to make you give up the hobby for fantasy gaming.....OH, I already did that ::o:

That said, study enough historical photos and you will start to believe the old Model Railroader catch phrase "There's a prototype for anything". My favorite two from WW2: an SS motorcyclist wearing a chimneysweep's top hat, and a Russian MC with sidecar, three riders and a grandfather clock onboard.....

...oh, Ugluk, your Dragonskin chaps are probably as real as Pam Anderson, on at least made from some of the same materials....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MJ: she will be an old woman with size D fleshmelons. ewww!!!!

All:

Reaper Matt, that was a really cool story!!!! you get a coolness point. if i ever meet you, i will pay for your drinks!

what can i say except i like to paint. very likely my WWII germans will have mismatched semi-winterized color scheme close to what they had in WWII. i will probably be more loose with my tanks than w/ my infantry. if i like a scheme too much, i will paint the tank said scheme. if i do not like the scheme, i will play a different type of the same army. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

and i'm thinking i will put the name "Eva Frauline" on my Panther tank commander's tank. it is a very inside joke, you have to know me to get that one!

so, yeah, i am in the stricter side of the 'don't care' camp.

I recently started playing Flames of War, and from the get-go I have encouraged others to paint as they like, as I feel playing is as much the point for some as accuracy is for others. As a matter of pride in my Airborne heritage (AbnGI, ya know...) I have my Paras painted and organized accurately, but did that as an issue separately from the game, though it has overlap.

This weekend, I heard someone giving a new player the third degree about "that unit wasn't supported by those assets, and that camo scheme was only used by the British in North Africa.

My response was to ask what would be the historically accurate camoflage for a US unit that disbanded in 1942 to use when fighting a Russian force that activated in 1943...

That said, study enough historical photos and you will start to believe the old Model Railroader catch phrase "There's a prototype for anything". My favorite two from WW2: an SS motorcyclist wearing a chimneysweep's top hat, and a Russian MC with sidecar, three riders and a grandfather clock onboard.....

One of my ambitions is to build an M3A1 Stuart light tank, ca. 11-42 to 5-43 with a brass bed carried behind the turret, all across North Africa...yeah it actually happened...

Damon.

LP, you are sheeting me?

really? what was the deal, have a good nights stay in Cairo when they were done? for italian camp women? as an insult to the germans? someone was a brain-fried drunk?

the answer to that one i must know!

It was looted...

The story is in one of my books, which is now in the bedroom and my fiancee is sleeping, so it'll be a story for another time...

I also have a photo of a Sherman with a bust of Hitler wired onto its fender...

Damon, another modelling project.

I also have a photo of a Sherman with a bust of H!tler wired onto its fender...

he11 yes! that is the kind of cool stuff i love!

so, they raided the red light district? really? man, you don't cheat aussies with guns. especially as far as their manhood is concerned!

my WWII knowledge is pretty straight foward, but i do like historical divergents. one that comes to mind was Tokugawa's adoption of Portuguese armor, yet in one battle, he wore a helm with some 40+ shiny rods sticking out of it in a sun-ray arrangement. i think he was trying to blind someone, or be seen anywhere. i will have to convert the perry miniature so it has the Sun-helm attached.

Not historical, but this saturday we played a no-hold barred match of multiplayer Axis and Allies, with modified rules for dirty dealing and politics, etc. it so happened the Japanese and Americans avoided pearl harbor and went into non agression...i the japanese player, eventually asked the US if they would sell me their fighter squads in the asian sphere so i could bolster my attack. the americans marked up the unit and a deal was struck. so, ol'd Clair Chennault and his Flying Tigers Joined veteran Zero wings in an all out assault on siberian Russia.

call it blasphemous, but i can see P-40 warhawks in Japanese markings. another Odd m0deling project (or odd paint scheme)

why is the forum board not posting some of my words, like H!tler and M0del?

WTF?? do i have to use 1337 speak to type everything?

is it the auto censor, if so, reaper, please modify it!

hmmm, a test, and only a test.

Boobs.

if the word has changed or does not appear, i will know.

why is the forum board not posting some of my words, like H!tler and M0del?

<snip>

is it the auto censor, if so, reaper, please modify it!

The Words "hitler" and "model" are not part of the board's Bad-word filter.

I can assume perhaps that there is another factor involved, but a thorough examination of our filters did not include wither of those words. It may be accidental on your part, or perhaps a filter placed by your ISP, or any number of other reasons.

As evidence:

Hitler

Model

Our moderators may crack down on cusswords typed in 1337. If this becomes prevalent, warnings will be issued. Typing He11 instead of "hell" may seem clever, but it circumvents the REASON the filter is there in the first place - because children may frequent this board, and we wish to safeguard them. In that case, He11 is no less offensive, nor are any of the other 1337-cusses that can be derived.

I can think of nothing that MUST be said that cannot be said without the use of those words on this board.

Thank You.

*i feel the smackage. well put*

i was borrowing a computer, as my primus optimi has been negated by corporate spew. the new PC was of the type where it would censor words you typed if it didn't like them. errgh.

sorry if i seemed to put too much blame of reaper.

(odd side story: i knew a game forum once witha word filter. it had several words that made me twitch on the list: suck, spam, nazi, punk, jesus, and christ. made my favorite cuss at the time manifst as "U"

"u suck, punk!"

taught me a good lesson, as this became standard soon after:

"keep training, my young apprentice..." )

**my lesson learned: 68%**

::D:

I am glad you found the source of the problem.

It strikes me as funny that a person's name would be filtered - As in the case of hitler. Sure, he is probably the most reviled man in mainstream 21st Century Western Culture, but to ban his Name? What if a college student had to do a term paper for History Class on WWII and had every instance of Hitler changed to H!tler???

PC can go a bit to far when our PC's get PC on us against our will . . . (Will Save +13, Don't roll a 1 and you're fine . . . )