Flesh help

Todosi

Ok, I guess I'm new here so I'll start by asking a question. In trying to paint flesh (normal human, working on Laurna Sorceress) do you apply the dark color a base coat or a light then highlight with dark? For some reason I always have trouble with doing flesh.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I do, but I am no Golden Demon winner or anything, your results may vary.

I use a white primer, then Reaper's Flesh as a base, then a quick ink wash of GW Flesh Wash.  After that, I highlight with Reaper's Flesh thinned down a bit. Then a lighter highlight on top of that.

Just my two cents.

Here's how I do flesh. Note its slightly different than the above...

I usually find straight GW Flesh Wash to be WAY too strong for general application. Insead I add about 2 drops to 4 drops of flesh paint (Apple Barrel in this application). THis gives a good ruddy flesh tone without making the figure look orange or sunburned...

Next I drybrush with Folkart Flesh (slightly lighter than Apple Barrel and good for drybrushing as its a little thick) and finally with Ceramcoat Flesh (even lighter still) thinned with a drop of extender for a nice smooth final highlight. Advantage here is that the highlights/shadows are a bit subtler than other methods, which I personally like...

Damon.

Thank you, Lars. At least you told us which color was darker and which was lighter.

Please, when referring to paint by names, also indicate in some way which is darker and which is lighter. I don't memorize paint names, but work by what the color is.

Also, I only have some Reaper Pro Paints, so I wouldn't know what to compare with in Ral Partha, GW, or Vallejo if my life depended on it.

Just a small complaint on my part.

are we assuming white-people-flesh for this?

can people talk about whether their techniques are more appropriate for Highlanders or Carthaginians?

just cuz something works doesn't mean it works for the race or level of tan/ region of the world (sun intensity) of the character. Some guidelines on what people are really talking about in terms of flesh tones would give me a better idea of what people are really turning out & how it applies to any given mini i might be painting...

In my game, most humans have darker skin than the typical Caucasian.  I tend to start with a base of sable brown or autumn brown, highlight with light chocolate or golden brown, and frost with toffee or linen.  For caucasoids, I start with light chocolate, and highlight with toffee.