CD-RW Drive

Wanizame

I've seen these at Best buy recently, and would really like to get one, so I can copy some music..

My current pc only has a cd-r drive.

Now these CD-RW drives.. do you hook them up through a USB? or what exactly? Cause my pc does not have a USB port >.<

Only thing I could stuff up to is this 9 pin port in the back, that I used to hook an old kodak dig. camera up with (doesnt have it anymore though).

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typiclly a CDRW goes into the one of the drive bays inside your computer unless the packaging says "external" on it. Only then would it hook up to your USB drive. Unless this is a custom job I highly dought that it would hook up to your serial port.

As for copying anything to CD you should be able to do it already via your CDR drive already. CDRW drives basiclly allows you to use a special CD as if it was a hard drive. A.k.a you can delete items off the cd when you are done using them.

Depending on the software that you have it may or may not allow you to copy right protected music.

Hope this helps.

Typiclly a CDRW goes into the one of the drive bays inside your computer unless the packaging says "external" on it. Only then would it hook up to your USB drive. Unless this is a custom job I highly dought that it would hook up to your serial port.

As for copying anything to CD you should be able to do it already via your CDR drive already. CDRW drives basiclly allows you to use a special CD as if it was a hard drive. A.k.a you can delete items off the cd when you are done using them.

Depending on the software that you have it may or may not allow you to copy right protected music.

Hope this helps.

If you do buy an external CD-RW then you can always buy a USB card for really cheap too. They are extremely easy to install as well.

Instead of buying a CD-RW buy a DVD-RW. You can still burn CD's at a lot faster rate.. plus.. you can burn and or back up DVD's as well. Granted they are a little more expensive to buy.. but not so much that it is not worth it :)

When you go buy a bunch of CDs CDRW means CD ReWritable and CDR means CD Recordable.

So if your drive has CDR followed by two numbers often with an "X", for example, "10X 2X" or "20X 8X" written on the front, that means it can CD Record. The numbers indicate the read speed and the record speed.

So: if the front of the drive sais CDR 8X 2X or CDR 8x2 then that means it can read at 8 times the standard play-speed and Record at 2 times the standard play-speed.

My CDRW drive has CDRW with 40x32x10 immediately below; this means read at 40 X speed, record at 32 X speed and re-write on a CDRW disc at 10 X speed.

If the drive can ONLY read, it will have "CDROM" followed by a number, ROM indicating that it cannot do anything to the information on the disc, only read it: "Read-Only Memory", ie, Memory that is Read Only.

Like Nikmal said, if you're buying a new drive, consider a DVD-R. You will need a lot of free space on your hard drive to copy DVDs in preparation for "burning" a backup, like about 5 gigabytes. But, the DVD will hold more than 5 times as much stuff as the CD will.

Some of this might already have been said, but....

If all you want to do is burn music, I would skip the upgrade. CD-R's are all you need to do it. To play a cd of music in DVD players, cd players, etc, requires CD-R's, not CD-RW's. If you burn a CD-RW of your favorite music and try to play it in your car, odds are it won't be able to read it, and thus, no music! The only advantage CD-RW's offer is that you can erase the disc and rewrite them, but, if you are only going to be making discs of music, why bother? Most of the players you put the RW discs in won't read the music anyways.

If you are seriously interested in upgrading, go for the DVD recorder drive, it will give you alot more speed and options. You could, for instance, download your favorite TV Shows and burn them to DVD disc and play those. And when you get a new computer, you could take it out and put the DVD recorder in the new one.

I find it odd that your computer has a CD-R drive, but not a CD-RW Drive. Once the CD-RW drives came out, CD-R drives were non-exsistant. Either your computer came out in that small window, or your drive actually can do CD-RW's and you just don't know it. Something worth looking into.

If your computer actually is from that small window (Between CD-R and CD-RW drive releases) I would venture to guess it's quite old, and it also might be worth upgrading to a new computer. YOu'll get the DVD drive, plus a much more powerful computer and lots of bells and whistles and new more powerful programs. Something to think about.

I do not know how knowledgable about the inner workings of computers, so I don't know how comfortable you are with tinkering with the innards. Installing a CD or DVD drive is pretty simple, so it is for sure a do it yourself project, if you feel comfortable with it. Maybe have someone with more expereince help. An internal CD is for sure the way to go though. Any external CD or DVD drive will be much slower and more expensive (I think) even without the added cost of a USB card.

Wow, I'm long winded.