Another dilemma

cristomeyers

Ok, here's the set-up. My Mage throws a fireball at a point in LOS and the radius hits a few models crowded behind a building. The next turn, my opponent tries to volley using the same technique.

My issue is this, I'm not sure that a volley should be able to do that. Why? I'll tell you.

A fireball, to me, explodes on contact with the target point, thus engulfing the target area in flames and hitting everyone in the AoE regardless of whether or not the Mage can see them. As long as he can see the target point, everyone in the AoE can be affected. The same applies to troops (elves) hiding in woods. The Mage can throw a fireball 1 inch into the woods and still hit everyone in the AoE (of course, cover bonuses would apply).

A volley, on the other hand, involves arrows that have to arc to hit their target. The AoE may extend to the models behind the building, but it can't hit them because arrows can't arc to hit behind the building. An exception could be made for hitting a point as far into a forest as LOS allows, since the arrows can arc down through the trees. They just can't arc through a building.

What's the consensus here? I understand that for simplicity's sake neither the fireball AoE or volley AoE can hit behind corners, but this situation has cropped up before and I want to hear whether other players think my assessment is fair or not.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrelevant fluff: archers have a limited amount of Seeking Arrows to take care of the around-the-corner shots. They tag folks when they peek around corners. They have rangers just off-table to get the angled shots. There are holes that aren't visible in 28mm scale. They are just firing marker arrows for the off-table siege artillery. The buildings are illusionary. Trained attack squirrels go in after the arrows. It's a magical world, sometimes strange stuff just happens.

Mechanically, you are correct about the fireball - it works like a hand grenade, where everything in LoS to the target point is effected. For the volley (just like for Firestorm), LoS to the target point is not required, though cover applies based on the direction of fire.

To keep it simple it seems that the archers in Warlord are good. They can launch an arrow practically straight up, which sends the arrow straight down. The direction of their fire doesn't matter much because the arrow is coming straight down.

Irrelevant fluff: archers have a limited amount of Seeking Arrows to take care of the around-the-corner shots. They tag folks when they peek around corners. They have rangers just off-table to get the angled shots. There are holes that aren't visible in 28mm scale. They are just firing marker arrows for the off-table siege artillery. The buildings are illusionary. Trained attack squirrels go in after the arrows. It's a magical world, sometimes strange stuff just happens.

Don't forget Thorgram's trained attack falcon, Airwolf. :lol::lol::lol:

Wild Bill :blues: