Painting to look like crushed velvet

Michael-TLH

I am not sure how many of you have ever done sponge painting before.  It is not a technique that is just limited to walls and large objects.  Happily I found that if you use a smaller brush whose bristles are worn, or a tiny piece of fine grade sponge stuck to some sort of stick/paintbrush handle, it works wonders on minis for painting fabric.

For velvet/crushed velvet:

The trick is to put on the base coat of the color you desire, then very randomly sponge over this LIGHTLY with soft touches of the sponge in varying shades of the same color.  Bear in mind that each of these shades has to be relatively close to the original shade of paint.  You can build up several layers of sponge painting with various shades either darker or lighter to get the desired effect.  This same technique also works for the grass on the base of minis to add definition to the premolded grass on the bases.

For Netting/checkered designs:

Get a small piece of Tulle (Sold at places like Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics, ACMoore,etc..).  Apply your base color then lay the tulle over the area to be painted and depedning on the effect desired either paint directly over the tulle, then pull it off to expose the desigh, or gently sponge color here and there over the tulle to give more of a woven effect kid of look to the piece.  This works quite well when doing plaid as long as you keep your color placement in mind and know which layers should go first or last.

For displaying chacters:

Some people dislike the fact that the bottoms of minis can scratch surfaces.  Depending on where you are gaming and how nice you want your minis to look, try gluing felt to the bottoms of the minis to act as a protectant against scratching diningroom/kitchen tables/shelves.

Bows and Arrows:

Fine guage jewlery/beading wire works wonders as the wire on a bow.  Some minis have a bow but no wire on it.  The guage that is good to use is either 32, 34, or 36 depending on mini size.  Sewing thread that have been tied onto the bow and then stiffen with either paint or sealant also works well.

Metal:

You can find false leafing products at most craft stores.  The instructions for leafing are on the packages.  Leafing can work well on swords and shields.

That is my two cents on stuff for the day :)   :laugh:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll try the tulle effect on ome of my highlanders. :D

:;):

Something you may want to keep in Mind Michael is that when doing the plaid with the tulle, limit yourself two only two or three colors.  It you want to do more colors you may want to consider doing the other colors with a small paintbrush.

I am finding that a lot of paiting techniques I have used in other art forms over the years are vastly well adapted to miniature painting too, and hence after I try them I will post a few more from time to time.

You had a post in another forum here dealing with interference paint.  I find the stuff to be relatively expensive and instead go for paints such as Folk Art or Americana who have metallic colors that can be thinned with water to do a glazing effect.  Some of them have a pearlescent medium that can be applied on its own over a color to add metallic/pearl effects, or it can be mixed with the colors to provide a wide range of metallic/pearlescent colors.  Most craft stores sell these paints.  Delta Ceramcoat also sells pearlescent mediums.

(I currently work in a craft store so finding different paints is easy for me, as is finding stuff to make miniature scenery with.   Not to mention, if anyone ever comes across any nice position where my MA in Sociocultural Anthropology is useful, let me know, I refuse to work retail the rest of my life.)

Another technique that I've used with some success as far as "velvet" on minis is:  Mixing a small amount of metallic paint in with the color of the article of clothing.  Make sure the basecoat/shading is very dark, and the highlights very bright, with little transition in between.  It makes for a very convincing velvety effect.  In general, Silver should be used for cold colors like blue and green, and Brass or Bronze for warm colors like red.

Here is another tip for making textures on minis...

Have you ever heard of flocking?

You can find this stuff at just about any craft store and around the Holidays you can get a wider variety of colors because it seems to be a popular seasonal item.  Basically you find a flocking kit that is the same color as what you want the basecoat on your mini's clothes to be, and folowing the directions on the box, you apply the "glue" and the gently puff the flocking or fuzzy stuff onto the glue and allow it to dry.  The result is a fuzzy almost fur like texture depending on the type and size of flocking used.  

I may not be artistically intelligent enough for this forum... †

†You'll do fine. Just ask when you don't understand. Lord knows I do! :laugh: †It amazing I am not constintly asking for clarification. †I still don't get the whole "ink washing" thing.

Lady Tam

Ink/washing, ink/washing, ink/washing. Tis a thing of beauty milady!

Tis also somewhat tricky but really is worth the effort.

Inks and washes are (IMO) two entirely different things too.

Inks are formulated differently for use in crevices of the mini and washes are simply thinned down versions of a certain color.

I'm not a chemist mind you(just a lowly design engineer) but..

From what I've been told by experts:

Inks were formulated to sit in a crevasse of a mini and stay there while they dry.

Have you ever seen those experiments where you drop a liquid pigment onto a piece of coffee strainer paper and when it dries if forms a dark circle around the pigment? I don't know what process thats called but it happens alot when you use washes. Inks don't have a tendancy to do that but conversely, inks are alot "harder" in color when they dry.

Some folks have suggested to me to add a drop of Isopropyl Alchohol to the thinned down wash so that it dries faster but I've seen varied results.

Over on another post I went into some detail on how I create transitions of color on a miniature. That post is on the "show-offs" section.

As you can see, I'm a big proprieter of inking and washing.

Alot of (better) painters than I achieve the same result by doing alot of "thick shading" with their brush but I would rather spend less time and subsequently my miniatures aren't Golden Daemon quality yet. With a full-time consulting job and a family of five I've learned how to get what I want out of the hobby with less time. I could one day, spend hours doing an entry for the Golden Daemon but I'de rather much paint minis for my friends.

Hope that helps milady!

Steve C.

Here is another tip for making textures on minis...

You can find this stuff at just about any craft store and around the Holidays you can get a wider variety of colors because it seems to be a popular seasonal item. †Basically you find a flocking kit that is the same color as what you want the basecoat on your mini's clothes to be, and folowing the directions on the box, you apply the "glue" and the gently puff the flocking or fuzzy stuff onto the glue and allow it to dry. †The result is a fuzzy almost fur like texture depending on the type and size of flocking used. †

Ok Now.. The cat is definately out of the bag now! *grin*

I have a good idea who Enchantra really is... *grin*

I won't say it because I believe her privacy is of the utmost importance but I must say I feel somewhat "honored" by her precence here.

Thanks for joining in Enchantra and I look forward to picking your brain in the future! *in a nice sort of way of course!*

Steve C.

Some other decoration tips for those interested:

Feathers:  On some minis there are feathers or you may want to add some for detail and to enrich the look of a mini.  Problem being mostly that feathers you buy in the store are to big, right?  Well, here is what you can do.  Buy feathers at the local craft store in the colors you desire.  Now with a pair of scissors Carefully cut the feather to size needed, then glue it into place on the painted mni.  

Beads:  Beadwork such as necklaces might be good to add on some minis.  Beads can also be attached to staffs for decoration.  Places like SHipwreck beads, firemountain gems, Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics and ther places have a wide selection of beads and you can put together almost anything with what they offer when it comes to small beaded necklaces or decoration.  A brand name of beads called Mill Hill is quite nice.  You can get nice even sized beads in smaller sizes than normal seed beads and while they are a bit pricey in my opinion, their effects are well worth it.

You can find this stuff at just about any craft store and around the Holidays you can get a wider variety of colors because it seems to be a popular seasonal item. †Basically you find a flocking kit that is the same color as what you want the basecoat on your mini's clothes to be, and folowing the directions on the box, you apply the "glue" and the gently puff the flocking or fuzzy stuff onto the glue and allow it to dry. †The result is a fuzzy almost fur like texture depending on the type and size of flocking used. †

Ok Now.. The cat is definately out of the bag now! *grin*

I have a good idea who Enchantra really is... *grin*

I won't say it because I believe her privacy is of the utmost importance but I must say I feel somewhat "honored" by her precence here.

Thanks for joining in Enchantra and I look forward to picking your brain in the future! *in a nice sort of way of course!*

Steve C.

Hrm.....

Should I be afraid????

And do I know you perhaps????

And yes, as you imply I do work with fur in some of my work.  

Who might you be?    :cool: