Sign in to follow this  
All-Terrain Monkey

Asylum Testing 9 September 2005

Here's what we came up with during this week's testing of Warlord at the Asylum. In addition to fleshing out the polishing touches on the current version of CAV2 Beta and new Warlord armies the following items either came up during our testing session or were put forth on the boards. All topics have the ReaperMatt seal of approval and are official. All pertinent changes will be made to the Errata page on Reapergames.com and will be updated within the week. This post will be added to the stickied thread at the top of the forums to aid in finding it.

Summary of Asylum Testing 9/09/05

1 errata (a printing problem)

1 actual change (the mechanics as presented just aren't saying/doing what we want them to say/do)

1 preview (a new gameplay mechanic appearing on data cards that is not yet explained in print; note that such mechanics are subject to change before appearing in printed form)

3 clarifications (the material is already in the book but some people are doing this one way, some another, this is the way it's supposed to work).

Errata (printing problems)

-------------------------------

Railor is a 5-10/0 Sergeant; the datacard will be amended as well as on Reapergames.com. Necropolis:Thule is correct.

Changes (mechanics changes)

Page 70, under "Flyer", at the end of the second paragraph add the following sentence: "There are no Ranged Combat elevation bonuses when a Flying Model conducts a Ranged Attack or is the target of a Ranged Attack."

Previews (new mechanics not yet in print)

SA Distract: Models with the Distract SA may choose to Invoke a Special Action (a Combat Action) to remove one #MA from a defending model in base to base contact. This reduction also applies to Defensive Strikes, but the number of Defensive Strikes a model has can never go below one. The defender is at -1 Dis for purposes of succeeding in a Leaving Close Combat check. The effect of multiple Distracts from multiple models are cumulative. If the affected model leaves Close Combat or if the model using Distract performs any other action the effects are removed.

Clarifications (explanations of mechanics)

Flyer and Ranged Attacks

Flyers are assumed to be swooping, diving, climbing, levitating, or whatever it is the individual model requires to remain aloft. As such, a player cannot declare what elevation the Flyer is flying at above the battlefield, which is why Flyers are automatically in the LOS of any model on the battlefield. In addition, the movement of the model has already been taken into account when giving ranges to models who are Flyers with Ranged attacks. The Rng value of a model's datacard accurately depicts the horizontal distance in inches a Flying Model may make a ranged attack. The player can assume the model swoops over, flys low, dives, or any other motion needed to allow the flying model to conduct the ranged attack.

In addition to this, the change was made to the Flyer SA to clearly state that the Elevation Situational Modifiers to Ranged Combat do not apply as there is no mechanic to measure the variable height between a target on the ground or in the sky.

Stunned Models

In addition to the clarifications last week we would like to touch upon questions raised this week about tough models who are stunned. Stunned models do not lend support to friendly models. Stunned models that are in base to base contact with an enemy model that are revived cannot break away from the base to base contact; they stand up in the exact spot they fell. Adjustment of facing follows the normal rules for Attacker/Defender adjust on page 61. Stunned models that are moved due to another model's movement are only moved a distance no greater than the edge of the model displacing the downed model (as models cannot coexist in the same space). When revived they stand up directly on the spot they were laying. If confusion or sportsmanship do not allow for conclusive agreements between both sides we suggest using a tombstone marker, red pipecleaners on the model standing up, or any other way of marking a stunned model while leaving its base in contact in the ground to completely avoid confusion.

Declaration of Equipment/Spells

There are no set rules in Warlord for declaration of equipment and spells; it is up to the individual players involved to come to an agreement. Note that in any game that requires a certain degree of sportsmanship (like miniatures games) it is valid to ask to see an opponent's list to ensure the point totals do not exceed the game size and that all troop rules and compositions are legal. The act of doing so would naturally allow your opponent to know exactly what you have. We suggest agreeing to a convention before the start of play that is mutually beneficial to both sides, whether it be total disclosure, only equipment, only point totals spent on spells, etc.

As always we ask that any replies to this post remain on topic with the points discussed in the top post and any new questions be placed in new topics to be addressed accordingly. Thanks and have fun!!!

Under the Breaker SA it states, "After a Model has completed all Close Combat attacks, if the Model is able to successfully remove an enemy Model in Close Combat,...". Stunning a model causes the model to no longer be considered in Close Combat, as it no longer provides support bonuses or impedes movement. If I'm thinking and phrasing this correctly, either killing a model outright during melee combat or making it stunned would trigger the Breaker movement. Coup de Grace would be a non-Combat Action and would not. If I see Matt over the weekend I'll ask him to get the verification for you, otherwise look to early next week for a clarification.

Yeah Hexxen, that's why the sentence "effects from multiple Distracts are cumulative" is in there ::D:.

Have you never met Hex in person? Not the kind of guy I'd taunt! :ph34r:

You're taking you life into your own hands there. At least try not to get killed before I take a class from you at this year's RAC! :upside:

On topic, I'm really glad to see these weekly updates! It's exactly what the game needs to get started. I'm also glad to see the KISS rule being applied as much as possible. Warlord shines due to its simplicity. ^_^

I can't help but be silly; it's in my nature ::D:. Besides, after reading Hexxen's posts I'm sure he can handle a bit of general ribbing. If he can't, well, that's what we (theoretically) have Deathseekers for (possibly).

That being said we really appreciate the questions everyone brings up each week. Even if the clarification or answer we give you isn't quite what you wanted we try to touch on all the concerns you guys have as there is no way we can possibly conceive of every single eventuality or question ourselves.

When it comes to Warlord we try to walk the fine line between adding new, interesting stuff without overbalancing and keeping to the KISS (Keep It Simple Silly (or alternate ending if you prefer)) doctrine. We try to keep Warlord as a miniatures wargame and not a tactical fantasy combat simulation, so if we sacrifice a bit of realism for speed and simplicity of mechanics it's only because we don't want to use slide rules or calculators when we play either ::D:.

So, please, don't hesitate to ask for a clarification or to bring up an issue if you're having problems with it. Each and every request just puts us that much closer to having Warlord be the ultimate perfect gaming system with no problems whatsoever.

Which, as always, we plan on happening "soon".

But think of all the revenue you could generate if you sold the "Official Warlord Arrow Tajectory Tracker" or the "Massive Close Combat Blows Simulator" or even the "Emergency Eject Button Plug-in" for those games where you just can't wait to get home to visit your girlfriend because she's been calling you for the last 6 hours as your resloved the first melee in realistic super-Roleplay (translation you got annoyed at your opponent for forgetting to carry his ones and having to re-calculate the whole thing so you picked up your handy mace and solved the issue the dwarven way).

Again with the stunned...

I'm getting the impression that for all intents and purposes a stunned model is entirely removed from the game. It still "exists" in that it can be targetted by Warcry/Bandage/Coup de Grace, but it has no other effect on the game whatsoever, is that correct?

So:

A breaker can step into the spot occupied by the model it just stunned.

Any model can move thru the stunned model's position ignoring normal rules for not being able to move thru other models.

A model can break from combat, ignoring a stunned model.

All correct?

I can foresee some unusual circumstances, such as the breaker example, arising. If a stunned model is surrounded on all sides, another model moving into its position could potentially throw it an inch or two away from its original position before it had been dropped and definitely removing it from combat with the model that originally damaged it...

Imagine the ranked scenario from previous discussions:

_B_

If a breaker killed 5, and had a vested interest in killing 2 (say he's a cleric that has been blessing/healing the group) and so moved straight ahead, things could get weird if 5 had toughness. The easy answer I guess would be to shift him into the position that the breaker had just held, but other allied models might want to hold that position as well...

I guess my point/question is, there is no real limit on how far a stunned model can be shifted from its original position and it has absolutely no ability to "hold" ground against enemy movement. Correct?

What about friendly movement? If 2 rushed forward into a Stunned 5 space would he then shift his ally out of combat and therefore out of harm's way?

I'm fine with it, just want to make sure we're all on the same page...

At first glance, every statement above seems correct.

Stunned models remain on the table as close as possible to where they fell so they can get up if they make their tough checks and may be targeted for any effect that heals, CdG's, causes stunned models to get back up, or otherwise says it targets a stunned model, but otherwise have no effect on movement, LOS, etc. for friendly and/or enemy models.

And remember, a Stunned model does not have to have it's Tough check made at the start of the activation.

Sometimes it's to your advantage to have a model, standing in front of a line of warriors, remain stunned so you can drop in some ranged attacks or spells, since it won't block LOS. Once the ranged attacks have been resolved, then get em back up and have them move in to finish the job.

Heck, make the stunned model the target of a Fireball. It won't kill him, he's already stunned, and that means you can target more models with the one blast.

On the other hand, unless it's a throw away model, don't use the Firestorm, because you'll lose the model.

At first glance, every statement above seems correct.

Stunned models remain on the table as close as possible to where they fell so they can get up if they make their tough checks and may be targeted for any effect that heals, CdG's, causes stunned models to get back up, or otherwise says it targets a stunned model, but otherwise have no effect on movement, LOS, etc. for friendly and/or enemy models.

So, just verifying. If I have a model that has tough and gets knocked down stunned. If I have another model with a bandage spell, then i can negate the need to roll the tough check simply by casting a successful bandage?