How does one find things at Reaper's website?

Max_Radius

Does anyone know an easy way to find things at Reaper's website?

Things that look like they should be hyperlinks turn out to be dead images.

Even if I kmow the name of a figure, the search function can't find it.

Please.. at least tell me I'm not the only person that is unable to find anything at Reaper's website.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your problem more with the Fantasy Figure Finder or with the site generally? I've had no trouble overall but I have with the FFF. There's a thread in here (I think under the Reaper Discussion) all about little problems with the FFF. Check this out and you'll find both that you're not alone and that Reaper is working on it.

As for the the rest of the site, perhaps you can be more specific?

-- Flow

My problem is with the site as a whole.

As an example:

If I want to look at their paints, I expect that after I click on something that says "Paints" to be directed to paints.

This is not the case. I currently see something that gives a model number and name for a newly released figure. As it happens, it isn't even a hyperlink.

I do see a side bar item that says "Pro Paints". Clicking this yields (currently) ten newly released paints. Nowhere can I find anything that links me to their full line.

Basically, I can not grasp exactly what they are trying to accomplish with this site. Perhaps it is merely meant to be accessed by the trade press, as the material presented would be great for press releases, but it is of limited use to me in attempting to use it as a resource to pursue a hobby.

I was going to point you to the site map but it appears that some of the links there are broken as well.

I do know that the Web Master (Kit) is currently working very hard on the painting contest page and that most likely things of this nature may have fallen through the cracks. This is just a guess but very likely the case.

I use the Reaper store mostly for paints. That is where I can find the latest stuff and well as the full line of Pro Paints.

The Paints area is still under some construction. Reaper is currently focused on their Master Series Paint line, as it's the newest (and the paints are of far better quality than the Pro Paints) and the Pro Paints haven't been worked on in quite some time.

For a better result, go to the Reaper On-Line store. The Pro Paints and the Master Series Paints have separate entries (no Paints main category) and it does make it a little easier to navigate.

The webmaster has had a lot to deal with during the past nine months and while he works hard to keep up with things, he also has something like two or three websites to maintain, update, and keep up with (not including these forums). It is understandable that he misses things and he does rely on us, the consumer, to inform him when things don't work correctly.

Also:

Screenshot1.jpg

Notice the two arrows? Use the bottom box for searching the site. Using the top Search feature won't work. Kit is aware of this.

There is another site that Reaper has for the commercial consumer (one of his many sites to track, I believe), so their main site is for people like us, but we're also assistants to Kit in helping him keep track of errors (such as the New Release model on the Paints page, that is odd and even I missed it, and I was there recently).

• Super Administrators

wow. the site map is completely broken. sorry. taking that off line until I can get that fixed.

Regarding the pro-paints: yes, that's broken. We're not active developing that line any more, so the fix for that section is low in my increasingly-large priority list. My apologies.

kit

Let experience be your guide! I agree, some of the stuff is a little futzy, but after a couple years you'll get the hang of it! Heh, kidding...

I have the feeling that the web site anomolies are the result of a small company getting a fair bit larger without totally realizing it. Ultimately, I'm sure a total web-site overhaul will happen, but for now it's really not that bad.

If we're talking about things we'd like to see, I'd like to see better grouping in the online store! It's really hard to find stuff... Not to mention better descriptions that say what exactly is in a boxed set etc.

It would seem that having two entire listings of all the miniatures (one for store, one for gallery) is a little odd. Ideally I would think that a single list with all the miniatures and all the info on those miniatures would work swell... So if I'm looking at the gallery listings it will have an "add to basket" option for the store, a link to a painted version, as well as info saying it has been discontinued if that is the case. I've occasionally gone into the local shop only to find that a miniature in the gallery is no longer in production.

Also, galleries could have related items in them. Say, by putting the Reven book in the Reven gallery we could be sure we're not missing anything.

Just some thoughts...

Great, thanks.

Some of this helps, and of course some doesn't.

I guess what has confused me the most is that the most useful information seems to be routed through "Store".

I think that VelveteenRabbit makes a good deal of sense. I would prefer to navigate through a database of products directly from the front page, and then use a shopping cart to deal with anything I wish to purchase.

While this may be rather ponderous to start up, it strikes me that maintenance and navigation would be simplified since any given item would require only a single record in the database.

The biggest difference between the browsing of minis between the main site and the store is that the main site has a lot of OOP minis, some of which are not available on the online store, and this gives people a chance to look for some of those long OOP items at Ebay or cons and to see how far Reaper has evolved.

Kit has such a long To Do list that I would hate to be him right now. He really does need a full-time assistant. I think the Painting Contest, though, is one of his top priorities at the moment and I sure hope to see it come back soon.

I think it might be mainly that the "store" gets priority over almost everything else on the site, except maybe the gallery for miniatures, which are Reaper's bread and butter.

The only advice I can offer is that yes, the store section is your best bet. Most questions will also get answered in pretty good time by the enthusiasts here on the fora.

• Super Administrators
Mm. I can relate. Took about a year to find me an assistant where I work.

And.. I keep picturing this "Kit" person sitting in a little room in the basement in front of something that desparately needs upgrading and has only a single monitor...

You're pretty close, but they recently moved me up to the second floor, and I managed to swap for a larger monitor with an unsuspecting staffer before they came in one morning, so it's not all that bad. Though it's true that I used to sit in the storeroom, and even then I had to share it with Matt.

As far as business goes, I'm working on a redesign. Surprise! There are some deficiencies in the current deisgn, and I'm looking to aggregate and streamline largely. Obviously, we have grown in the last several years, and some of the solutions that worked much better two and three years ago can stand some tweaking.

kit