General Army Design

wildbill

What do most of you do when you design an army? For me, I try to design the best well rounded army I can, regardless of what faction I use. That way I can easily face anyone. ::):

I know there are people that almost refuse to even make an army list until they know what faction they are facing so they can attempt to make their as anti-whatever as possible. That's ok I guess, but I was never a fan of that. I know in a tournament setting you aren't allowed to change you army list from round to round. I would think that if you made a custom list for each army you face you would have a harder time of it in a traditional tournament. You wouldn't know what to take to field a well rounded army.

But, that's just my opinion, of course. And of course we know my opinion is all that matters. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Spatula. (Cool name, by the way. :poke: )

Now, that's not to say that if I agree with someone that next week we're going to be playing a certain type of scenario and they're like "Make your evilest army you can! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!" then that is exactly what I'll do. I'm just talking mostly about pick-up games.

well, people who know me, know that I tend to try to overanalyze every facet of force building. It keeps me from being able to build a force in ten minutes. Heck, it usually takes me 10 days to figure it out. But, I do build my forces based on NOT knowing who the enemy is. I DO build based on scenario and terrain (when its known).

That and of course the points. Unlike in other games I play, changing the points for a game even slightly can have a huge impact on the TO&E. As people have pointed out here the difference between a 750 and 1000 point game is the difference between realistically being able to field a warlord, a spell filled mage, a Giant solo, etc..

I totally agree!! I feel like there is a world of difference between 750 points and 1,000. What's funny is going from 1,000 to 2,000 isn't really that big of a stretch. We usually play with the "No Warlord" rule unless you are playing over 1,500 points. So, if you have a well rounded 1,000 point army, and then go up to 2,000 points, you'll find that you won't be adding too many more models. In my Dwarf army, faced with that exact situation, I only added 8 models. Thorgram, Ivar, 4 Shieldmaidens, and 2 bear riders. That gave me 2,000 points.

I was working on making an army that had the fewest number of magic items possible and still be a viable force. I ran out of leader models. :grr:

Must...peruse...online...store... :B):

So far I've also been going by the "what I like" criteria, and was originally working on a theme army, of mixed factions. I haven't quite abandoned that idea, but I think I'm moving toward it being a subset of my total available forces.

I've got lots of armies on paper, the trick is getting them painted...

For my Reven, building my army is based on what minis I have painted. I have to date only played with one un painted Reven fig. Now, for the other factions I have played (which from now on will not be named cause I need to no longer associate with the lesser races........... until my bootlicker status is removed) I have no such standard .

:poke:

As an Overlord player, I base my army designs on which characters (Elites & Leaders) I want to bring. Overlords have the best Elite based army, so I start there.

In games up to 1000 points Andras is a given, and he'll usually bring his 2 elites. At 1000 points Ashkrypt becomes a reasonable choice because I can drop my other mages.

Once games go over 1000 points I start thinking about which teams of elites I want together. Balthon usually goes with Ashkrypt, tho now that Life Transfer is available that's less set in stone.

I usually have to remind myself to get more grunts, as it's easy to skimp with 3 powerful spellcasters and a pair of really amazing melee heroes. Fortunately, Overlord grunts are cheap and get the job done, so I can usually get enough in.

I also try to get at least one extra activation card, and these days I do it by bringing Corvus and 3 warriors (minimum for his troop). The Onyx Golem is expensive, and the Onyx Chevy has a pretty poor track record.

And now that I've got a really cool totem, I bring it whether it's a good idea or not. :B):

PS

When I go into general army design I look at their strengths and weaknesses versus the other factions and determine which of those to bring out to create a unique feel for the army. After that's set I figure out what new units and spells I'm going to add to them and...

Oh, whoops, thought you were talking about something different. My bad. :devil: