The drow

Anastrianna

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User
If you like, I think I may be able to find a picture of it if you wish. 8')

Ahhh, okie, found it (searching my other computer at home as we speak...err, type). If you can find a pic to post, I guess the management won't hate me too much, even though it wasn't one of our minis, if I'm using it to help sell our paint, right? ;P The booty/back shot shows the skin tones a little better, anyhow. :;):

But on the actual subject...that skin tone was achieved by mixing a very dark grey with some form of purple and highlighting up with a Linen White equivalent...may have been some skin tones in there for highlighting, too, now that I think of it. I'll reconstruct it tonight and post. I'm almost dead sure I remember what I used, just have to do a quick test to make sure, then see what the MSP equivalents would be!

--Anne

• Reaper User

Okie, have several models in front of me and am doing different drow recipes on them; will have them for you (just the skin painted, mind you...can't take too much time!!) very, very soon. Possibly by the end of today, because I really want to do this. Maybe I'll make a temporary gallery for 'em in the Showcase so you can all see 'em.

Fun!!

--Anne, happily devising skintones

• Reaper User

Fieldarchy, I asked Derek what colors he used on the Dark Elves in the gallery that you liked, and he said yes, it was Volcano Brown, shadowed with Walnut and highlighted by adding Dove Grey to the Volcano Brown. He also said,

"I considered a few TSR/WotC artists' take on the

drow before I began, including Brom (purple skin) and

Marc Sasso (warm mid-grey skin, red eyes), but chose a

scheme closest to Larry Elmore's or Todd Lockwood's.

The choice of skin tone affected the choice of color

for the equipment. Black on black on black needs some

variety, so I decided to make one neutral (cloth), one

cold (armor, bluish-purple), one warm (skin, brown).

And then the jewelry is cool: silver not gold."

So, cool. :D I am almost done with four examples of Dark Elf skintones I've used; will post 'em tomorrow.

--Anne :)

Fieldarchy, I asked Derek what colors he used on the Dark Elves in the gallery that you liked, and he said yes, it was Volcano Brown, shadowed with Walnut and highlighted by adding Dove Grey to the Volcano Brown. He also said,

Thank you, Anne and Derek. ::):

Unfortunately, I don't have those color, would you kindly translate it in Reaper Master Series color (or Vallejo)?

Thanks,

--PM

So, cool. :D I am almost done with four examples of Dark Elf skintones I've used; will post 'em tomorrow.

Yay, I for one can't wait! Thanks for all the great help everyone! I haven't started my project yet as I am holding out for the Complete set of Master paints. Hording my pennies and dimes you know :;):

Don't wait! I've been acquiring my MSP as I go, triad by triad. I buy what I need for the current project and maybe another one that interests me. But the last thing I will do is wait for something to be complete/perfect/etc.

As much as I'm disappointed by the lack of agreement with the pure black drow skin, find the one you like and get started.

Unless you're getting a sizable discount by buying the set at once there's no real reason to wait.

• Reaper User

Okie, I at least got a few of 'em up...Rastl, the problem with pure black drow skin is that it makes it *very* hard to see the features on the model. When the face of the mini is arguably the most important part for many people, it's easy to understand why they tend to take their dark elves a little lighter. ::): It's also probably due to the fact that it's hard enough to highlight black--trying to do it smoothly on something as small as a face is an exercise in masochism!!

Wait. I guess that means I have to do it now...curse my masochistic painter tendencies!! :lol:

Anyhow, the pics are up, they are in the Showcase Gallery in a new sub-gallery, follow my sig line link or go to:

http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/Skintones

Enjoy. ::): I tried to give the hair colors, too. And there are still a few more I'd like to get done for you, but Christmas Sophie is waiting, so I must scamper!! ::D:

--Anne, scampering

It is an unbelievably helpful gallery Anne.

It's like the pinned painting recipe thread, but with full color examples as well.

Are you planning on just keeping it to Fleshtones for the time being, or will you expand it to include other features too? More would be great, but you;re only one person, and I'd hate to see more piled on to your workload.