Sign in to follow this  
Digital M@

I am bored and need a new book

I'm currently reading The Neverending Story by Ende, next on the list is Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. Two of my favorites have been The Count of Monte Cristo Dumas, and Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray

I've got Necroscope by Brian Lumley to read on breaks at work.

To kill time at home and fill that unfillable gaming urge, I'm reading The Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. However, seeing that there's a tenth book in that series with apparently more to come is very disuading.

I'm almost finished with Fitzpatrick's War, which is a well written novel with a neat gimmick. The novel is written as a memoir of a compatriot of Lord Fitzpatrick who launches a great war to become ruler of the world in the 26th century. The 26th century world is more like a steam version of 1910 to 1940 than anything else since society's collapse in the late 21st century.

The gimmick is that the memoir also has an introduction, many footnotes, and an endnote written by a scholar who lives in the 27th century and considers the memoir's author to be a disgruntled minor compatriot of the great Lord Fitzpatrick who has made a considerable portion of the memoir up. The juxtaposition of the memoir with the often contradicting footnotes makes for some very interesting reading.

Ron

Some things I've read recently...

Steve Miller & Sharon Lee's 'Liaden' adventures -- some incredibly good space opera. Start with Conflict of Honors and carry on -- absolutely delicious stuff.

If you want a great D&D novel, check out Paul Kidd's Greyhawk work -- he's one of a crew that's been novelizing some of the classic adventures. His three are White Plume Mountain, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Great stuff -- the main hero is "The Justicar", a gruff, laconic ranger with a sentient hell-hound pelt for a 'familiar'. He's accompanied by Escalla the pixie sorceress and Polk, a teamster who thinks he knows what an adventurer should really be like... the three hit it off well, with humor, wit, abuse, heroism, and a dab or two of sheer fun. Imagine if the cast of 'Buffy' were to play D&D... this would be the result.

Well I am Reading John Erickson's The Road to Berlin. The book begins during the Russian offensive around Stalingrad (Operation Uranus, Saturn etc.) and goes to the bitter end of Nazi Germany.

I think Enders Game is mostly a guy thing (although I know maybe one female I met who liked it). I've tried to read it and it bored me to tears. I think I managed halfway through before giving up.

As for books, I like Clive Cussler (and own most of them). He wrote Raise the Titanic and has some very good books out (the more recent ones tend to be better than the older). The Harry Potter series is always good for some light, fast reading.

I think Enders Game is mostly a guy thing (although I know maybe one female I met who liked it). I've tried to read it and it bored me to tears. I think I managed halfway through before giving up.

I think a lot of us can associate strongly with Ender, being smaller and/or smarter than a lot of our peers growing up, and having to deal with the constant abuse, mental and physical as a result from those same peers.

You are going to have to trust me on this one. I read this early summer and I strongly reccomend it.

The History of Salt.

Trust me, this paperback is a good read. Who would have thought the only edible rock would be so interesting? Who would have thought of the wars fought over it and the wars won or lost becase of it or the lack thereof? Of course it takes a good author to make any good book, and this was also written well.

0142001619.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

When I went on the plane to Gen Con I re-read Aristotle's Art of Rhetoric, also a necessary book to occasioally read when dealing with bulletin boards.

Right now I am reading Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets. I finished the 1st one a short time ago and have found them a very enjoyable read.

Decado

An if you haven't read them already, William Gibson is my favorite cyberpunk author (and definitely in my top 10 of all genres), though his last book "Pattern Recognition" left me a little flat.

A couple of good collections of cyberpunk short stories are "Burning Chrome" and "Mirrorshades: A Cyberpunk Anthology." I think "Burning Chrome" was my preferred of the two, as it contained the short story of the same title which permanently affected how I viewed deckers in Shadowrun and the Internet in general. It also has Gibson's "Johnny Mnemnonic." The original story was excellent, unlike the travesty that was the movie.

An if you haven't read them already, William Gibson is my favorite cyberpunk author (and definitely in my top 10 of all genres), though his last book "Pattern Recognition" left me a little flat.

A couple of good collections of cyberpunk short stories are "Burning Chrome" and "Mirrorshades: A Cyberpunk Anthology." I think "Burning Chrome" was my preferred of the two, as it contained the short story of the same title which permanently affected how I viewed deckers in Shadowrun and the Internet in general. It also has Gibson's "Johnny Mnemnonic." The original story was excellent, unlike the travesty that was the movie.

I actually preferred Pattern Recognition over Idoru. Have to agree though with the Gibson love. And yeah, Johnny M got buggered by the movie. Burning Chrome is a great short story anthology.

If you're looking for Mirrorshades, I believe it is now out of print, but probably isn't too hard to find at a decent used book seller. Bruce Sterling is the editor. I actually enjoyed this one too, because it's multiple authors and is considered one of the de facto Cyberpunk must haves, when I was starting in the genre, I got this, then started buying stuff by the authors in the collection. IIRC there's also a great list of novels to look at in the back. I've actually enjoyed most of Bruce Sterling's stuff. He's done a few other short story collections as well if you're looking for variety.

I actually enjoyed this one too, because it's multiple authors and is considered one of the de facto Cyberpunk must haves, when I was starting in the genre, I got this, then started buying stuff by the authors in the collection. IIRC there's also a great list of novels to look at in the back.

I did the same thing Qwyk. I even came across the index card I wrote the author's names on last time I was home. I'd take that to the library on the off chance they'd have one their books.

BTW, I did a quick look in Amazon and both anthologies are available.

When I brought Neuromancer to high school, my teachers couldn't believe I actually found a copy of the book. Two of them asked to borrow it, as it was apparently making its rounds through all the literary channels of the early 90s.

After reading Gibson's poetry and chasing it down with Idoru, I'm done with the guy. Virtual Light was good, but he rolled too many 1s in Idoru. I remember more or less reading it to get to the end, and that I read one sentance of the book about 20 times before conceeding that it was indecipherable. Gibson and his proofreader need to suffer for that one.

Jared Louche is about as close to cyberpunk as I can enjoy any more, but he's not an author. Gibson got all artistic and Shadowrun went Bluetooth. It's hard to get the proper feel for it all.

Bruce Sterling's Holy Fire is a really good near-cyberpunk work of quality science fiction, though.