Sign in to follow this  
Digital M@

I am bored and need a new book

I went out last weekend to pick up The Wreckers but my bookstore didn't have it. I think it will be a great bedtime read once I can find a copy. It's received some pretty rave reviews and the subject matter is very intriguing.

Here's a page from NPR for a synopsis. NPR link

I liked the concept behind Idoru, but the writing was so-so. The only thing that kept me turning pages on Pattern Recognition was to see what kind of idiosyncrasy he would assign Cayce next. Holy Fire was a good read, got me to wondering just how far along we really are with life prolonging medicine and whether or not it's a good idea.

Another good read from a couple years ago, mainstream Sci-Fi rather than cyberpunk, was Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton. Lots of cool things in the book like megacorps extorting entire planetary populations, elite troops going rogue, and a mysterious treasure.

Of course there's The Princess Bride. It has everything, happiness, sadness, comedy, drama, action, adventure, swordfighting, ships, monsters, kissing, wrestling, magic, betrayal, loyalty, and I could go on and on and on. One of the rare cases where I liked the movie as much as the book. I'm surprised my copy hasn't fallen apart as many times as I've read it, same goes for my copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Oh, and if you don't mind giving money to the Evil Empire, Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series and the Eisenhorn series (well, ok, anything by Abnett) are the only books from the Black Library worth reading IMO.

Heh, I think you've already gotten more of a response than you were looking for, but I'm throwing my three currently favorite authors into the mix.

Anything by Stephen Brust. He has a quick light series in an interesting fantasy univers with the Jhereg series. He has another series of novels in the same world set at a diffrent time written in the style of the French Romantics. He also has a handfull of independent novels, the best of which I think is The Gypsy.

Robin Hodd (not sure if a man or woman), is one of the better fantasy writers around. The Royal Assasin series is an interesting character study.

And of course there is J.R.R Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. Probably the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Great characters, deep intrigue and amazing twists and turns. These are the books that Jordan was trying to write.

Hob

I'm currently reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I read DaVinci Code first, and then realized that there was a prior book, so I'm reading it now. Both are very good.

Another good read from a couple years ago, mainstream Sci-Fi rather than cyberpunk, was Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton. Lots of cool things in the book like megacorps extorting entire planetary populations, elite troops going rogue, and a mysterious treasure.

I read that one, good fairly fast paced read.

And of course there is J.R.R Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. Probably the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Great characters, deep intrigue and amazing twists and turns. These are the books that Jordan was trying to write.

Martin- Not afraid to kill off a character if it make the story. ::):

I've read all of Dan Browns works. I like them though I keep in mind not to think too hard about them--They're popcorn novels.

Robin Hodd (not sure if a man or woman), is one of the better fantasy writers around. The Royal Assasin series is an interesting character study.

It's Robin Hobb. She's female. It's actually a nome d'plume. Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy. It's best if you read them in that order. Great books.

George R. R. Martin is absolutely phenomenal. Unfortunately he is also absolutely SLOW in getting out his net book. We've been stalled waiting endlessly for book 4 for about 4 years now IIRC. Every June and Novermber it's supposed to be ready this coming November or June. :grr: He has absolutely no qualms about killing off or maiming a major character to develop the plot, even when it's a fan favorite. I love that. He cares more for the story than anything. You really care about the characters they have so much life to them.

One that wasn't mentioned for suggestions, which I have always enjoyed, was Glen Cook's The Black Company. Great, gritty feel to them. They aren't big fancy world saving heroes. They are a bunch of grunts paid to fight in this war and trying to make it through. Great characters. Goblin and One Eye are my favorites!

*laughs* So I managed to butcher both thier names?

Yeah Black company is good. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get Eric to read the David Drake "Hammer's Slammers" novels for CAV research. Mostly collections of short stories about a mercenary hover-tank company.

Hob

It's Robin Hobb. She's female. It's actually a nome d'plume. Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy. It's best if you read them in that order. Great books.

George R. R. Martin is absolutely phenomenal. Unfortunately he is also absolutely SLOW in getting out his net book. We've been stalled waiting endlessly for book 4 for about 4 years now IIRC. Every June and Novermber it's supposed to be ready this coming November or June. :grr: He has absolutely no qualms about killing off or maiming a major character to develop the plot, even when it's a fan favorite. I love that. He cares more for the story than anything. You really care about the characters they have so much life to them.

One that wasn't mentioned for suggestions, which I have always enjoyed, was Glen Cook's The Black Company. Great, gritty feel to them. They aren't big fancy world saving heroes. They are a bunch of grunts paid to fight in this war and trying to make it through. Great characters. Goblin and One Eye are my favorites!

Martin's Feast for Crows is finished and should be out in Nov. followed closely by a fifth book. The feast was orginially so large the publisher had to cut it in half and sell it as two books. And yes I'm a big fan of his work.

I've read Martin's stuff, but will wait until the series is finished before I read another book. I really enjoyed the series the first time thru, but on a second read, I was not as enthralled. I think the story is a bit lacking in certain aspects and knowing what happens next hurts the books. Next time I read it, I want it to all be in one fell swoop. When I started them I thought there were only going to be three and they were all published. Since the Chronicles of Amber, I have made it a policy to not start a series until it is all published.

Same reason I don't read Jordan's stuff anymore, aside from the fact that he lets the story go stagnant.

Not to mention that it seems half of the latest couple were rehashes of the previous umpteen books.

Actually, has Jordan been seen in public since The Dragon Reborn? I wonder sometimes if his last not-so-few books have been ghost-written either by someone who just doesn't get it, or by software.

On the other hand, I just reread The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuin. They're children's books, but still very good and reasonably light.

Actually, has Jordan been seen in public since The Dragon Reborn? I wonder sometimes if his last not-so-few books have been ghost-written either by someone who just doesn't get it, or by software.

On the other hand, I just reread The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuin. They're children's books, but still very good and reasonably light.

I also just reread the Narnia books, after all I have to be ready for the movie this winter. If anyone is looking for some good children's literature let me know, I know some really great reads for both boy and girls for 4th grade and up. I think that children's authors write women and girls better than "adult" authors. I have read several excellent books with female leads that help engage female readers and have a compelling story that grab the boys attention and make them forget it is a girl in the starring role. Most adult books and movies just make lead women smart mouthed twits that are mostly unlikable.

Not those type adult books, get your mind out of the gutter.

Working at a bookstore has its advantages, though I never get around reading even half the books I want to. I really enjoy Gemell, Weber, Hearn, Roland, and normally Brooks (though was not real happy how he ended the last book in the High Druid series) just to name a few. I also totally agree with the idea that many of the children's and teen's authors are much better than many of the adult authors.