Hurricane Rita

haldir

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Already labeled a Category 4 Hurricane as of this morning, Rita seems to be heading for the Texas coast.

Can we possibly get a sound off from forum members in the area? I know Orchid Noir is down there, and Brooding Paladin was at one time but I'm not sure if he moved or not...

So, if you're in the Houston/Galveston/Port Arthur/Texas Coastal area, please let us know things are okay. I know it's not scheduled to hit until late Friday or Saturday sometime, but, if the storm hits in the right way, even in Austin we can expect some 70+ mph winds and so can the ReaperPeeps. It all depends on where the storm hits.

As for Rita hitting areas hit by Katrina, there is always that possibility. I would rather those people get to high, safe ground this time. I know people have been allowed back into New Orleans. Maybe this time there will be a better evacuation of those left in the city. We already know the levees will not hold against another hit. They aren't repaired, yet.

And I know I'm making no sense. Not enough coffee yet.

Whoo-Hooo! Another relief mini!!! :lol:

They are saying we might get smacked all the way up here in Dallas! Time to get some supplies!!!

:lol:

Seriously, if you're down there, get out!!! (...remember 83!)

They've been talking on the radio that the Corp of Engineers in NO has a plan to break one of the levies and re-flood an industrial area that is still underwater, thereby reducing the impact to the other recovering areas.

News reports this AM quoted the Army Engineers as saying the repaired levees could only withstand a storm surge of 5 ft. Given the size of the approaching storm, it's likely they will be a bit higher than that. Some strategic flooding to reduce pressure might not be a bad idea.

I really hope that if they rebuild NO, they put in a system of canals or something to help divert and channel the water to reduce the amount it will pool in the low-lying areas, and at least bring in some landfill to increase the elevation. Heck it's worked just fine for most of Boston these past couple hundred years, half the city was built on swamps and in the actual harbor.

I recall Holland wanting to send some engineers over to help fortify those, but with out lovely check & balance system, not sure where that one went.

Funny how when we NEED help, people are willing to give it, & it's a uhh well see, but when we WANT help, it's more or less ehhh ok, then the govt gettin in tissyfit over it. Not wanting to turn this into a political thread, just something I had to get out

anyways--- CNN reports Rita is about 755 miles east-southeast of Corpus Christi, Texas, with top winds of 140 mph.

anyone know why the storms are so powerful this year??

Randy M

Posting for the three of us....

We just got the news that we will most likely be put under mandatory evacuation by tomorrow night.

Garm, the munchkin and I are heading north.

75% of our belongings are in storage in Houston (ie. even closer to ground zero), the rest are here in Beaumont in a flood plain. ::(:

And we have been planning to move to Dallas in December (yeah, weeks away), I guess the Gulf wanted to either make sure we aren't going to miss it or give us one heck of a send off. :rolleyes:

One of us will post to check in "on the other side" of it all. ^_^

Orchid - who REALLY despises mandatory evacations for storms <_<:angry:

People are taking appropriate precautions and have prepared well in advance, and are heeding warnings. They are taking care of themselves.

I doubt it will be as bad as it has elsewhere just because of these reasons.

Besides, Murphy's Law clearly states, "The more you prepare, the less your preparations are needed."

Why not just make NO the American Venice? :huh:

And ON just posted her own thread. They're in mandatory evac, so hopefully everything will work okay for them. Let's keep our fingers crossed it isn't as bad as everyone fears.

Sorry about that, a little flustered and missed this one, I'm taking a little time off to chill out is the only reason I'm on at the moment, tired of looking at the storm, went through it with one just a few weeks ago and we just got her victims that came here settled..... It's going to be a long weekend and I'm tired already. :down:

Man .... give me a good ol' fashioned cat 1 to 3 anyday :bday::bday:

I was just up in the front office here at work, and they were talking about how everybody in our Houston sister-company is going to be visiting us tomorrow. ::):

Apparently every hotel on I-45 is filling up between Dallas & Houston. One of our guys from Houston said the only hotel room he could find was in Waxahachie (about 30mi. south of Dallas.) :blink: Yeesh!

I wish everybody luck, I'll be praying for ya'! ::):