Sign in to follow this  
Errex

What camera are you using as of now?

I saw FranktheDM's post about the Fuji, but I was wondering about what other brands/models are currently in use amongst mini painting people these days, since I'm planning to get a new one after five years with my HP POS (a term I use affectionately, since the lil' piece of junk has served me well over this time, although that in no way precludes me to voice my current opinion on it's capabilities).

Also, what software are most of you using to process the pictures?

I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1. 5 mega pixel point and shoot with some additional lens options. I'd recomend it. As far as software i just us Photoshop, the best I'm willing to do with my POS computer. :poke:

If you can't afford the several hundred dollar pricetag on Photoshop, the next recommendation would be Elements. It is a stripped-down version of Photoshop but it does retain most of the important capabilities. Elements will run you around $60 - $70 depending on when/where you pick it up. If you're new to photo editing you won't be ready for the additional capabilities of Photoshop in any case.

just so you know, these and the one in my camera thread were taken on auto with macro mode on under "reveal" bulbs. No photoshoping used. Just MS Paint to reduce to web size.

iceman2ya.th.jpg tackle7gj.th.jpg snickeringorcarcher9pw.th.jpg

And to save money on your tripod

http://www.jakeludington.com/archives/000227.html

fast cheap tripod base

Master parts list:

1/4-inch Stainless steel washer

1/4-20x1 1/2-inch stainless steel pan head machine screw

1/4-20 Bar Knob

1/4-20 stainless steel lock nut

lid from a 20oz bottle

Tools required:

Drill with 1/4-inch bit

Screwdriver

Wrench

might use something better than a soda bottle though...

I am using a Cannon 300D Rebel. It is a digital SLR and so far has been awesome. The only issue I have with it is you do not have control over the flash except in fully manual mode and I find the flash ccan be a bit harsh. Other that that it has been a dream. I have some beautiful quality pics of my son and you can't ask for more than that.

I use an Olympus Camedia C-2300 which unfortunately is out of production. It has a 10x Optical Zoom a 3x Digital Zoom (which I do not use) and a macro feature. It is a 2.1 megapixel camera and I routinely blow up and print pictures to 8x10 without any reduction in the quality. A fact which drives some of my co-workers nuts who have large megapixel cameras since my prints are as good and in some cases better.

Remember its a camera and its all about the glass. Superior optics will result in better pictures and prints, Nikon, Cannon and Olympus (in that order) have the best optics in the industry.

I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43 digital. I use the still-life macro under either convential lightbulbs or flourescents, then photoshop appropriately. It's a 3Mpixel camera with Leica optics that go 3x optical zoom and total 10x digital. It gives pretty good photos if a little touchy for miniature work. Got it on sale a couple years for a little over $200 and no sales tax.

I've got a nice 12 year old Minolta 35mm that needs to go to a repair shop and some new lenses, but haven't even thought about picking it up since it's so easy to take and upload digital pics. That and all I need to do is recharge a couple of AA batterys for the digital camera rather than buy some funky camera battery.

For software I use an older version of Photoshop. Also use The Gimp, a freeware image editing program similar to photoshop.

We got the Nikon CoolPix 8700 Digital Camera earlier in the year. There are some pretty good deals on it in the link considering the $100USD/mgPx ratio most things are going for. I think we paid around $600USD for it and it came with a little package of photogear (bag/lens cleaner/battery/flash card).

It takes some pretty amazing shots, unfortunately I have not gotten to upload them to the web yet. :huh:

I use Photoshop 7 also.

I recently bought myself a Pentax *ist DS. It's a Digital SLR and, from what I hear, one of the best on the market, too. Personally, I love it. I bought it at the end of July and I'm still playing with it and learning all the functions. It's rather expensive (I paid $1000CDN) but I think it's well worth it, especially if you're into photography. I don't have any current pictures to show off it's amazing quality (I'm not biased or anything, either...) since i'm still trying to learn everything I can do with. Basically, I can go from 100% manual everything to 100% the camera does it all.

We got the Nikon CoolPix 8700 Digital Camera earlier in the year. There are some pretty good deals on it in the link considering the $100USD/mgPx ratio most things are going for. I think we paid around $600USD for it and it came with a little package of photogear (bag/lens cleaner/battery/flash card).

It takes some pretty amazing shots, unfortunately I have not gotten to upload them to the web yet. :huh:

I use Photoshop 7 also.

My other camera is a Nikon Coolpix 889 or something like that. It is an excellent point and shoot.

I recently bought myself a Pentax *ist DS. It's a Digital SLR and, from what I hear, one of the best on the market, too. Personally, I love it. I bought it at the end of July and I'm still playing with it and learning all the functions. It's rather expensive (I paid $1000CDN) but I think it's well worth it, especially if you're into photography. I don't have any current pictures to show off it's amazing quality (I'm not biased or anything, either...) since i'm still trying to learn everything I can do with. Basically, I can go from 100% manual everything to 100% the camera does it all.

That should be a good one (I've had a *ist D for about a year and a half and taken over 3000 pictures with mine). I did find that I am happier using a non-autofocus macro lens when photographing minis (it has much better control than using an autofocus lens manually).

Olympus C5000 Zoom (3X optical zoom - 10X digital zoom).

I got almost two years ago specifically for shooting minis because it has a super-macro function that lets me shoot as close as 4 cm from the subject.

Since then I've found out it does pretty well for other kinds of shooting as well, especially low-light and high-contrast shots. My only real complaint so far is the poor luck I have had with action photography, but I won't presume my lack of success is entirely the camera's fault. I am still learning.

The best thing I can advise a person getting a second (or third or fourth) camera is to consider how advanced they want to take their photography. I think my next one will be an SLR, though considering my budget that will be at least a year or more away.

I use a Sony DSC F717. I really like it, but I need to use it more to get used to all of the functions. For editing I use Ulead PhotoImpact, and lately, Microsoft's Digital Image Suite 10, I got it on clearance at Target for $19.99.

John Lee

I am using a Nikon D70 DSLR.. it is a wonderful camera with both good White color balanace and fast pisture taking. The nterchangable lenses feature is very nice as well. I have taken some pictures of minis already and think that they turn out very nicely with it. I do not have a macro lense yet.. but I find that I can get faily close in with my 28-100 zoom lense. It has a built in flash with step mode too.. so you can eliminate alot of the problems some flashes cause :)

I don't think a macro lens is required for taking pics of miniatures. Your28-100 will be more than ample, but you have a lot more experience than I do and are probably aware of that. I want to get a 50mm lens and see how that will impact the crispness of my miniature shots. I am going to buy it for portraits and shots at parties and such, but think it will also be agreat tool for miniatures.

Bring your camera to Game day, I will bring mine. I would like to pick your brain on photography.