Garr, War Dog and Cavalry SA

Dracos picked up Garr, Word Dog Alpha the other day, and we noticed that he has the Cavalry SA. As described, the Cavalry SA says that the mini with the SA actually counts as two when counting how many minis you have in a troop. When applied to one critter riding on another, that makes sense. However, Garr is essentially a self-guided cavalry unit. Does Garr still count as two minis, or will he be an exception and only count as one?

(My personal opinion is that Garr is not Garr-on-a-well-trained-horse, or smart-monkey-riding-Garr, so that that Garr should only count one.)

Is there an official ruling on this? I did a search of the forum and didn't see anything. Other opinions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played against Garr last week and he was ok. His DV of 8 really hurts him. Yes, he is really fast and can pack a punch, but if I get in there first, I should win. I can't believe that they paired up the Big Kitty Cat (Celestial Lion) with a little doggy. ::o::;)::B):

Wild Bill :blues:

...My personal opinion is that Garr is not Garr-on-a-well-trained-horse...

SA: Cavalry does not imply the definition of Cavalry any more than Reach means you have a long weapon or Undead means you are returned from the dead - they are just catch phrases to reference the SA. The trait could have just as easily been "bulky" or "arrow-resistant-and-needs-his-space", but to sound nifty and memorable they pick a word. It came out first for cavalry models, so Cavalry seemed appropriate. The effect seems appropriate for Garr, so they gave it to him too - the alternative is to have yeat another SA that does the same thing but with different fluff. Multiplied by however many instances come up, it would be a huge list of redundant SAs.

Trust Me. Garr with a full pack of War Dogs all using Distract against you . . . That is impressive. They can neutralize an entire Troop . . .

Imagine the terror of Garr +5 dogs neutralizing your Krungbeast, or Treeman, or Hill Giant. They suck away all his offensive strikes, and all but 1 of his Defensive Strikes, so at best you can kill 1 dog a round, while they can bring other models into contact with you and have them chop away at you . . . until you are dead.