The United Terran Federation

Spartan6

Played in a tournament today and tested out the Talon (Faction). The build was one armor section up to 1500 points, three rounds, on 4'x4' boards. My Section consisted of the following:

- Starhawk VI

- Falcon x2

- Talon (Faction) x3

- Air Superiority Doctrine

- Air Strike x1

(only used two airstrikes total in all three games)

First game was in urban/city terrain (lots of buildings) vs. Mercenary Force consisting of:

- Falcon x3

- Despot x2

Paired a Talon up with each attack CAV and used pack tactics. Drew the two Despots away from the Falcons (Merc.) and took them out with my two Falcons; Talons were TL and jamming the Despots. When the Merc. Falcons closed in, all three Talons TL and also fired DAs in conjunction with my attack CAVs and took them out. In exchange, I had two Falcons slightly damaged and the Starhawk VI moderately damaged.

Second game was at a river crossing with approximately 1/3 wood coverage vs. Ritterlich force consisting of:

- Rhino

- Tiger x2

- Wolverine

Paired up the Talons and moved section into woods. Falcons and Starhawk VI did Run 'n Guns while Talonsx2 TL both Tigers and the third one jammed and IA against the Wolverine. Took out both Tigers and damaged the Wolverine. Rhino got in range and opened fire with the Wolverine at the Falcons (both benefittng from jamming). Target Locked the Rhino and Wolverine and jammed while the attack CAVs opened up on Rhino and the remaining Talon finished of the Wolverine. Destroyed his entire section in exchange for one Falcon severely damaged and one Falcon moderately damaged.

Third game was in a rocky area vs. Terran consisting of:

- Starhawk VI x3

- Starhawk V w/ rugged and shielding

Talons x2 TL two of the Starhawk VIs, two Falcons versus one, my Starhawk VI and other Talon (IA

) versus the other. Talons were jamming. Damaged both then retargeted against the other two CAVs. In exchange for taking out his force, I lost one Falcon.

For part of the second and all of the third game, my opponents needed natural tens just to hit (excepting the Rhino).

I normally like to field T-birds, but due to the build rule for this tournament, I did not field any. :down: However, the Talons did great. I cannot wait to fight another large game and pair up Talons w/ T-birds. :devil:

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it was a banner day for the Terrans. ::):

From what you describe you really used each units strengths to best advantage. I'm glad to see another player using the "wingman" tactic and pairing CAV's together to take out other individual CAV's. I'm also glad to see that the only force you actually lost a CAV too was also Terran. ::):

As for the airstrikes, was not using them intentional or did you just forget you had them? Had you used them more what, if any, difference do you think it would have made?

I understand about the T-birds. I love them to death but most of the time build point limits severely restrict me getting any out. I didn't even use one in last years RCON tourney. When you can have a Talon AND a Starhawk VI for less than a T-bird it's kind of a no-brainer, especially in a tournament.

Congratulations on winning the tournament and great job on the tactics. ::):

As for the airstrikes, was not using them intentional or did you just forget you had them? Had you used them more what, if any, difference do you think it would have made?

Not using the airstrikes was intentional. The Talons with FIST were busy jamming and TL. I mainly bought the extra airstrike to fill points and in case I was not using ECM/EST, I would have something for the Talons to do.

Finally managed to play a game with my wife today. I must say that if I were a fan of the Terrans I'd be really pissed off about the Starhawk VI. Even with a supporting EST unit it doesn't have much of a punch. I tell you what though, with and ECM Pod equipped unit the dang things are very difficult to hit, even if you've got an EST lock on it.

Finally managed to play a game with my wife today. I must say that if I were a fan of the Terrans I'd be really pissed off about the Starhawk VI. Even with a supporting EST unit it doesn't have much of a punch.

Oh, I am. <_<

The Hawk6 was immasculated. The best all-around anti-CAV CAV in the game has become a "ho-hum" CAV.

Finally managed to play a game with my wife today. I must say that if I were a fan of the Terrans I'd be really pissed off about the Starhawk VI. Even with a supporting EST unit it doesn't have much of a punch.

Oh, I am. <_<

The Hawk6 was immasculated. The best all-around anti-CAV CAV in the game has become a "ho-hum" CAV.

I have to agree, now my 2 favorite Cavs are basically sidelined, the T-bird because it is too expensive and too damn slow, and the Hawk6 because it is not worth its own points anymore.

Argh, I type out a response and the stupid computer ate it. :grr:

Anyway, If it had even Piercing/2 with it's current RAV I'd be a little more leary of it, but for now it'll be on my secondary target list after ECM/EST units and units with Piercing or Shredder. What it does have is survivability. It took me four activations to down two of them without ECM or repairing.

One thing that I missed during a first test game and that Mad Pat had to point out to us, is that Terrans do get the strikes but you still have to have someone take an action to activate them.

The two CAVs that Terran players really seem to be complaining about are the Thunderbird and the Starhawk 5. I'm not arguing that they haven't been changed, I'm going to argue that what they are now is a well balanced unit for the current rules.

T-Bird - I've heard that its A) too expensive and B) too slow. So let me ask you; if they upped the Mov from 6 to 9 to make it the fastest Super-Heavy again, would you guys be willing to pay the near 700 points it cost? If not, why raise the Mov?

Or would you prefer to drop some of its SA's or other stats to balance it out? What would you drop? Its Chain Lock Pod? FRS down to /2? Maybe ditch the Shielding or drop its AOE to /2?

Truth be told, CAV 2 T-bird compares almost exactly to the CAV 1 T-bird, the only real differences being the slower speed and the addition of the CFP, both of which fit its newer role.

Same deal with the Hawk. You want the Mov increased by 1 or 2? Add the Assault SA. Give the Charvel's Piercing/2. So what are you up to now? 450 points? 500? How many of them would you field at that cost? I'm not saying they wouldn't be worth it, but would you pay it?

Wow, I'd actually never looked at it before, but it seems like the Ronin is the model that you guys all want them to change the Starhawk VI into. 7 DTs, Assault, +7 RAV vs hard targets and stays in double digit DV until its 3rd DT. Now I see why they did what they did to the Hawk, they were making sure you didn't have two models with almost the same stats.

Actually no. I really did just look at the Ronin's stats for the first time while typing that.

And just for the record, I want to say that I think some of my favorite models got changed too, but I'm willing to let it slide for a better overall game. The Tiger isn't all I'd like it to be and the Jaguar (which I thought should have stayed a Ritt-only model) really got the shaft.