The United Terran Federation

Spartan6

What type of units do the terrans need, what kind of holes are you guys having to fill in with open units?

Not sure of need, but they possibly could use the following:

Gunship/Recon (currently using Longbow/Dragonfly), Vehicle/Transport (currently using Centipede/Tsukai), Vehicle/Fire Support, Gunship/Attack (currently using the Merlin in this role, and occassionaly the Tsuseki).

CAVs are pretty well covered for the Terrans, unless people wanted a dual-role/mid-point cost one (something between a Talon and the Starhawk VI role/point-wise). In this range, I'll field one of the following: Cougar, Dictator '60, Knight, or Starhawk V.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 big holes in our TO&E in my opinion, a hover tank, a fire support tank (like Outek listed) and a medium cav.

I find myself including Despots, Chieftains and either a Challenger or Archer in practically every list.

I would like to see an IFM version of the Ryoshi, or its equivalent.

There is also the GGC version of the Ronin that was part of the original fluff for the model, if it were dropped a damage track, given a little more speed and

kept the IFMs we would have a viable alternative to the Hawk VI.

As far as the medium cav goes, I would like to see an upgraded Archer since the only other energy weapon cavs are the T-bird and T-hawk and are both expensive points wise. Give the Archer RUGGED and make the guns PIERCING/4 and it would probably come in at 380-385pts but still be much cheaper than the T-hawk.

For the Ronin variant, maybe drop the DV to 12, keep the Shielding and Rugged SAs, give the guns Shredder/3 for soft killing power, and increase MV 1 point to MV9, it would still be a good section mate for the Hawk VI, or for an upgraded Archer.

Add an Attack class Hover tank and IMHO the Terrans would not need anything else, we would have a good selection of Cavs from light to SuperHeavy, and the same with Vehicles.

For the Recon Gunship Outek suggested, something as simple as a Harpy with its DFMs swapped for an electronics suite including CFP, FIST,EST and/or ECM would be perfect, the basic speed is good enough for a Recon model as is the DV. The LBG leaves it with respectable firepower. 135-140pts would probably be about right.

More gunships? The Terrans are the kings of gunships.

Tsuiseki, Kikyu, Harpy, Merlin, Condor, they have more between Faction and Open Market than any other faction.

I think the purpose of Pat's question is to fill holes with FACTION models that are being filled with OPEN models now.

I agree the Terrans can have more Air than anyone else, that is our "hook", the Ritterlich have their "warrior creed", Adon electronics, the Rach sheer brutality and aggression, the Malvernians have fanaticism and the Templars have a shared calling or brotherhood.

The Terrans have, not better, but more specialized, air and artillery.

Hey everyone, I've just picked up the game, and after buying a few Open Market models, I've taken the plunge and picked my faction - Terran Federation.

2 questions.

1) Is there a list of Legions out there so I dont step on someone's toes? I dont want to show up one day with my 58th Wild Cards and meet another guy playing the 58th Wild Cards...lol. (Mind you, I've not actually picked a Legion). I'm leaning toward Dark Horse Brigade (after my best friend's unit in the USMC).

2) This is the more crunchy issue. I'd like to know how to expand my list.

- I own the following, forming 1 section. Rhino (section leader), Sabertooth (AA), Dictator '60 (Gen. Purpose), and Talon (FIST and stuff).

I also have some armored infantry. And plan to add a Spectre or some other Fire Support mech to the first section.

I find the idea of Combined Arms exciting, and think this game does it better than many others. I'll probably go for Artillery Doctrine with, hopefully a good mix of Mech's, Tanks, Infantry, Gunships etc.

Thanks!

The Phos

P.S. I game with Blue Thunder at Krystal Keep.

P.P.S. is there a decent tracked/wheeled APC? Something like a Bradely or BMP? the flying ones seem a little risky.

Hey everyone, I've just picked up the game, and after buying a few Open Market models, I've taken the plunge and picked my faction - Terran Federation.

2 questions.

1) Is there a list of Legions out there so I dont step on someone's toes? I dont want to show up one day with my 58th Wild Cards and meet another guy playing the 58th Wild Cards...lol. (Mind you, I've not actually picked a Legion). I'm leaning toward Dark Horse Brigade (after my best friend's unit in the USMC).

2) This is the more crunchy issue. I'd like to know how to expand my list.

- I own the following, forming 1 section. Rhino (section leader), Sabertooth (AA), Dictator '60 (Gen. Purpose), and Talon (FIST and stuff).

I also have some armored infantry. And plan to add a Spectre or some other Fire Support mech to the first section.

I find the idea of Combined Arms exciting, and think this game does it better than many others. I'll probably go for Artillery Doctrine with, hopefully a good mix of Mech's, Tanks, Infantry, Gunships etc.

Thanks!

The Phos

P.S. I game with Blue Thunder at Krystal Keep.

P.P.S. is there a decent tracked/wheeled APC? Something like a Bradely or BMP? the flying ones seem a little risky.

Welcome to CAV and to the only faction that really matters, everyone else is just a target. :)

Welcome aboard. The United Federal Forces are always looking for new recruits. :blues:

"Space: Above and Beyond". As far as the Legions that are being 'used' (the numbers anyway), most people have them in their sig lines (the ones they are using). However, most of the people on here don't mind 'their' Legion being used by other people, as long as they have been asked (for example, I know Moezilla has been asked about the UTMC), and as a Legion is very large, the sub-units can vary.

As for expanding your force, it's dependent on how much and how fast. Here are some of my suggestions (Faction Specific):

- Regent (Fire Support): Has AA (anti-gunship) and counter-battery (Anti-IA). Its weapons are decent against any type of target and has good electronics.

- Starhawk VI (Attack): Good against any type of target.

- Wolf (Attack): Good against hard targets and assaulting infantry, and can take a decent pounding.

- Thunderbird (Fire Support): This is the top of the line (IMO). Among the best and most powerful IA platform, with very good DA weaponry. Has almost all the electronic gadgets a Terran could want. Has a very high intimidation factor.

- Merlin (Gunship): Although a transport, it is a very effective attack craft in its own right.

If you're going to be at the mega-battle on the 8th, I'll see you there. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

There is the Tsukai and the Centipede.

What type of units do the terrans need, what kind of holes are you guys having to fill in with open units?

We don't seem to have a really good soft target CAV. The Starhawk VI isn't bad, but it is a bit of an over kill and somewhat costly for just a soft target role. The Wolf tank has good soft capabilities, but then it isn't a CAV. I fight Rach with my force, so I need a little extra close combat/soft target punch. I'm using a Knight and Flight sections for this now, but haven't really played it enough yet to see how well it works. A M-T or SyRam soft target killing CAV would be great. But then I am not that experienced yet, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

TS

Don't forget the Harpy's if you're looking for some soft target killers. Using the Air Superiority Doctrine, you can field 2 air sections for every Primary section. That allows you to throw in a section of say two Tsuiseki's with another section of 2 Harpy's, giving you a balance of hard and soft killers.

Don't forget the Harpy's if you're looking for some soft target killers. Using the Air Superiority Doctrine, you can field 2 air sections for every Primary section. That allows you to throw in a section of say two Tsuiseki's with another section of 2 Harpy's, giving you a balance of hard and soft killers.

That is exactly what I have in my task force. ::D:

Don't forget that the Vanquisher, the premier squishy-squashing model (in my mind anyway), is an open model.

True, and had I understood that about the Vanquisher before I bought the Knight, I'd have opted for the Vanquisher. However, MadPat was asking what holes we were filling with open market models. I felt this was one that the Terrans were lacking. Now, you COULD wipe out infantry with a Vanquisher I suppose :rock: , but that lacks the fashion sense and style that M-T would bring tot he table :blues: .

::P:

TS