Surgery and recovery :)

Nikmal

Well I went into surgery the 19th of Sep. The surgery was a Drastic means of loosing wegiht. (Gastric Bypass). I did not make this decision with out alot of life long things in mind. That yes it was life altering.. and yes I would have to eat a certain way for the rest of it! As a few members of this board can affirm I am severely overwieght.. so much so that I can barely get around :( I am glad to report I am out of the hospital and in an extended care facilllity for rehab to get my strength back and for them to watch me to say "Hey you feeling ok" :)

Now I am a chef and I love to eat like the rest of you.. so this was one very very hard decision to make :) I finally got it done and am enjoying the results thus far. I have lost 30+ pds in a week and a half now.. will I keep expecting those drastic results... not as much.. but I should loose to about 250 and 300 pds by this time in a year to a year and a half if I stick to way I am supposed to eat.. and considering my determination now.. Yes I will :)

Thanks all :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gastric Bypass is a very drastic and risky surgery with a lot of potential complications. That you're already in the rehab hospital and continuing to do well is excellent news. Best of luck on your continued recovery!!!

Take care and be safe. That you've made the committment to continue with a lifestyle change post surgery is heartening. Good luck!!! Keep at it and keep your spirits up!

Congrats on your success!

Surgery is no fun. I've had enough surgery in the past two years that I don't want to see another hospital for a long time.

My advice is to just keep your spirits up, you'll do alright! :lol:

I have an Aunt who went through this. She went from a size 32 down to a size 14. She used to have to turn sideways to get through slightly narrower doors. She went through it because her Doctor told her that if she didn't get the weight off, she wasn't going to live another ten years. She so happens to be a very religious Italian woman and I do believe the Doctor instilled the fear of G-d in her that day. She looks awesome now and she says it's amazing how good she feels.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! It has been a tought time of it at times. Especially with some cramping and gas... eesh the gas is the worst. I always am or was feeling like I had to burrp.. and only to find out I was not eating enough.. isn't that a hoot :)

yea my meal portions are about 2 ounces now :) so I have to supplement my meals with alot of protiens and such understandably I also have to eat at least every 2-3 hours or so. I am also constantly sipping water to keep from getting dehydrated. No big gulps any more hehe. Things are progressing well. though I do still have to do some relearning on a few things.. thanks everyone again!!!!!!!!

That was a pretty big descision to make. Hope you continue to be happy with it. It's tough to change a lifestyle, especially when it affects things you like, but in the end changes like this are for the better. Stay well and keep us up on your progress. ::):

Yea I guess I can do that too :)

Here is where I am starting from.. Just as a point of referance so to speak.

I started out at 560 pds on thursday the 15th. I was put on a clear liquid diet for the weekened before surgery.. which was at Monday the 19th at 7:30 am. When I was wieghed at the Hospital I wieghed in at 535. NOw I have not been wieghed since then. I was released from the hospital on Thursday the 22nd and was supposed to go in to an extended care facility for a week to rehab and to rebuild my strenght and such. Which I did go into. When I got there.. the bed did not raise at high enough of an angle for me to be comfortable and so I had to sleeep on a couch the first night. (I need to sleep almost sitting up because I get panic atttacks lying down on my back.) Besides which the doctor prefers I am sleeping almost sitting up as well for reasons of relieving the stress on my stomach. They did finally get me a bed the next day.. but I was in pain most of the night and into the next day because of some yogurt they gave me was flavored with a suger substitue.. which caused my stomach grief (Not allowed suger or suger subs at all for the first few weeks) they did finally give me a bed that I could sleep in and I did so (took a nap) . I was still uncomfortable with the place over all. Friday I decided to leave.. talked to my Primary care doc.. and he said I could. but prefered I stayed in for the obvious reasons. I explained I would be more comfortable at home with my wife and such.. as we were both missing each other too. I was released with alot of griping from the facility.. boy did i have to fight to get out of there hehe. I got home and my wife catered to everything I needed. :) Well I woke up saturday morning and noticed that my stomach was in pain near one of my incisions. So I took one of te pain patches they gave me and let it got at that.. only to feel it get worse as the day progressed. I am thinking to myself.. great.. now my doc is going to say... "See.. I told you SO! :)"

I ended up going to the Emergency Room at the hospital I had my surgery at. (I had talked it over with my wife and even though it was not that painful... I could not talk to my surgical doctor.. and I was in pain.. as my doctor told me to call her or go to the ER if I needed to even though it might not be that big a deal.. I did so.) It turned out to be an infection in my stomach. I was prescribed to take some antibiotics and to see her on Monday.. now I am just waiting for her to get out of surgery so I can.

Just so you know what I have to eat and such.. I can eat yogurt plain.. egg whites.. Applesauce.. apple juice.. Pureed chicken from a can or pureed tuna from a can. I can only eat 2-3 ounces at a time and need to stop when I feel full, or boy do I pay for it with cramping and such. Hard to beleive one can get full off of less thentw ounces of food eh.. but I actually do :)

I eat every 2-3 hours.. and need to drink a protien mixed drink and water all day long. I also take a one a day vitimen (chewable) I have to go in this week for my vitimen B12 shot to.. which I will have to do once a month for basically the rest of my life.

I will be attending my first mothly support group this october too. which should be kind of cool.

When I feel up to it I might even include a before picture if anyone wants to see it??

Sorry to be so long winded and in the future.. I will not be nearly so ok :)

-jon

Hang in there Jon!! And keep us updated on your progress. Hope everything works out for the best for you. It takes a lot of guts to admit to yourself that your current condition was not what you wanted in your life AND then to actually do something about it. Kudos to you!! I'll be thinking about you!

I remember you saying you are a Chef Nikmal. I'm thinking that in order to help yourself though this you might want to start creating recipes for foods for people going through exactly what you are, or for those people who are on restricted diets. You could have a whole restaurant catering to such things. You might even make some good money. ::D:

I remember you saying you are a Chef Nikmal. I'm thinking that in order to help yourself though this you might want to start creating recipes for foods for people going through exactly what you are, or for those people who are on restricted diets. You could have a whole restaurant catering to such things. You might even make some good money. ::D:

I actually did not think of that.. that is an awesome idea!! I did think of making some recipes of my own though. :) I was already thinking of some recipes for pureed chicken beleive it or not.. sounds wierd eh? :)

I actually did not think of that.. that is an awesome idea!! I did think of making some recipes of my own though. :) I was already thinking of some recipes for pureed chicken beleive it or not.. sounds wierd eh? :)

I say you should run with it Nikmal. It might even help your recovery to be helping others who have your same condition. Go for it! Be gutsy and try something new. ::D: So many people want to diet but find when they go out to eat it's hard to stick with their diet. Your restauraunt could be a haven for them where they can get food they can eat and still enjoy going out to eat. ::D:

That would be pretty awesome.... I'm on a diet and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find meals at some restuarants to eat.... most of the servings are double or more of a serving size!

My thoughts exactly. With me since I have a yeast allergy and a slight allergy to wheat I try to avoid both as much as possible. Finding a restaurant that can serve foods with both those needs in mind is like trying to find a gold needle at the bottom of the Ocean. A small amount of wheat I can tolerate. It's the yeast that will knock me out of commission the next day after I injest it. a lot more people have wheat allergies these days, it's something to consider.

You could devise a whole variety of recipes that could be served under different categories at that restaurant. Categories such as low-carb, low-fat, low sodium, yeast-free, wheat/gluten-free, lactose free. It would seriously be filling a niche market.