Giant Eagle

fieldarchy

Hey Everybody,

So I have had the Warlord Giant Eagle sitting in my box of miniatures for a while and haven't done anything with it. I pulled it out on friday to start prepping it to be painted, you know the drill: removing the flash, gluing to base, washing, priming.

So I had glued it to its base a while ago and just had it sitting on my dresser next to my not yet painted griffon and poorly done dragon. It has been sitting there for months and been fine. I picked it up and started cleaning it with soap, water and a toothbrush and the eagle totally came apart from the base. I mean the part of the eagle that set in the slot in the base broke off of the Eagle's tail. Since this has happened I obviously can just glue it back together. How should I go about remounting it so I can actually paint it?

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of the tail where the base-mount-slot thingy broke off and try to pin it into a cork base. I fear that if I do that it won't be sturdy enough to hold the eagle. The thing is heavy!

Any bright ideas are welcome, just FYI, I don't have a lot of tools to work with nor do I have a lot of space or money to work with to remedy this problem.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing you can do is to change the base so that the eagle has a large log or rock to stand on, and therfore the torque is on the feet and ankles, not the tail.

Hmmm . . . I was thinking about that but I am not very good at sculpting and I don't know how I would go about that without breaking the feet off. They are just glued at the ankles.

Have any ideas on how to do this?

Pin it. Use heavier gauge wire than you use for normal pin jobs, set it up about two inches. Paint the wire black and it's flying instead of dragging its tail feathers! Shouldn't look too bad. I've done it a few times and depending on the model it pretty much goes unnoticed. Set the pin into a block of pewter (like a base) and glue that to the larger base to make a nice firm connection. It will not be invisible obviously, but it's a model after all, and people will get the idea...

Here are some GW examples I've done plus a Reaper that is very much a work in progress... The GW models have very large rods that are guarenteed never to break or bend unless they maybe get run over. For the Slaan Mage-Priest this is good since he's quite the block of pewter, but it was probably overkill for the little teradon. The wings show a good solid wire size...

post-1903-1127747963_thumb.jpg

If you don't want to sculpt a log or rocks, you could take a model from another army (just please don't use Reven since I am making the suggestion :poke: ) and very firmly affix this to the base. Run your pinning through the figure and into the eagle's talons. You can also use the tail as a 3rd anchor point. Basically same idea as Frosch, but using something other than a rock or log that you can avoid sculpting.

There's no reason you can't have the base include a shredded pair of Bondslaves, or Chattel or something.

The Same thing happened to me.. except the tail on mine did not break.. I cut it off thinking it was part of the sprue for some reason.. man was I ticked at myself.. but I did fix it though. What I did was to take three pins.. of a fairly decent gage brass rod. and drilled three holes into the tale and made a tri-pod of sorts for it. I then made a base out of sculpy.. inserted the eagle and find that the position of the eagle is MUCH better then the one that was originally posed with the base. I love it! I have not got it painted yet of course but I can tell you the brass rod goes into the back of the tail as the tail sort of sweeps forward. Plus the rod does not detract from the actual mini hardly at all. I know it can not be hidden well.. but it should not have to be. I will say this it is ALOT sturdier with the Rod instead of the original piece that is for sure.

The Same thing happened to me.. except the tail on mine did not break.. I cut it off thinking it was part of the sprue for some reason.. man was I ticked at myself.. but I did fix it though. What I did was to take three pins.. of a fairly decent gage brass rod. and drilled three holes into the tale and made a tri-pod of sorts for it. I then made a base out of sculpy.. inserted the eagle and find that the position of the eagle is MUCH better then the one that was originally posed with the base. I love it! I have not got it painted yet of course but I can tell you the brass rod goes into the back of the tail as the tail sort of sweeps forward. Plus the rod does not detract from the actual mini hardly at all. I know it can not be hidden well.. but it should not have to be. I will say this it is ALOT sturdier with the Rod instead of the original piece that is for sure.

Nikmal, do you have a picture of what you did? This sounds pretty much like the idea I had, I have just never pinned anything before and was a little leary of drilling a hole in the eagle. I was thinking of building a cork base (ya know, a couple layers of cork glued together) and then inserting the "pin" into the cork after it was attacked to the tail of the eagle.

Nikmal, do you have a picture of what you did? This sounds pretty much like the idea I had, I have just never pinned anything before and was a little leary of drilling a hole in the eagle. I was thinking of building a cork base (ya know, a couple layers of cork glued together) and then inserting the "pin" into the cork after it was attacked to the tail of the eagle.

Give me a little bit.. I will try and get one for you tomorrow sometime ok :) Just keep in mind when you see the paint job I am not near done hehe :) and the sculpy is NOT baked :)

Give me a little bit.. I will try and get one for you tomorrow sometime ok :) Just keep in mind when you see the paint job I am not near done hehe :) and the sculpy is NOT baked :)

Okie Dokie. Don't worry I won't judge the paint job, I realized you said it wasn't done yet.