How to make snow?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The brand name is Woodland Scenics. They make a wide range of flocking and static grass, and yes, this includes snow. It runs @ $8 for a can of this stuff (I forgot how much the net weight is). Whatever you do, stay away from the stuff sold by the Evil Empire, as they use the same material as Woodland Scenics, and charge 3 times as much for a tiny amount.

Hehe... I'd assume that the 'Evil Empire' would be Citadel/Games Workshop... Although I could be wrong, I've heard them refered to as such in the past.

As for a description, Woodland Scenics makes terrain and accesories for model railroad builders... Things like little trees, fake grass, etc... Most model railroad stores you walk into will have a big f'n rack of flock somewhere in it... That's probably woodland scenics.

If I remember correctly, thier snow product is just called "Snow" or "Soft Snow" or something like that. It's a type of flock (like fake turf, basically finely chopped foam). Check thier website, I think you can actually order online.

You can buy "snow" from ceramic stores and some craft stores. I have three "types" of snow in a bottle that I use. One is by Duncan Paints and can be found at ceramic stores. It is a fairly smooth snow once it dries. The "freshly fallen" snow by Delta can be bought at craft stores. You will find it in the paint area were all the Delta paints/Apple Barrel paints are at. Anyway Freshly fallen is  also a "smooth" snow. I used it on a  Water Elemental figure because it dried looking like "foam". "Decorative snow" by Delta, is lumpy and looks like "churned" up snow when dry. It also does well as frothy foam. If you wish to see the two miniatures I am refering to, they are on my web page under "elemental" I have a white dragon miniature with the Duncan snow, but no picture of it at this time.

Lady Tam

http://www.geocities.com/flying_heart_production/

No, I prefer to use my food processor for food.  :D Uh seriously though I don't know if it would stay "white". The paper may take ona gray cast. Have you done this? Inquiring minds want to know and shall be waiting with bated breath for your reply! :p  

And thank you for the compliment. I strive to keep imporoving which is why I wish to learn more about "wash" techniques because I think some of our Posters here on the list to Esquisite work.

Lady Tam

Welp, the experiment is done.

Don't try this at home.

First, I took a sheet of bright white paper, cut it into 1/4th inch squares. Dumped those into my processor. Turned it on. The problem is, the blades move around so fast, that the air in there spins around. The paper is so light, it just whirled around the bowl, and didn't get chopped up. I took those out, and put them into my tiny spice processor, and got a little better results. The main problem is, it didn't turn into a fine, grainy powder, suitable for base material, it just turned into paperdust, and long, stringy rags of paper.

Long story short: It didn't work.

Oh, well. Tomorrow's another day.

--lstormhammer