Undead Skin Triad

Vaitalla

• Reaper User

Okie, lookin' at doing an Undead Skin triad but what I need to know is--what color is it? I can't do my Undead Skin recipe with this because my recipe uses grey, green, pink, and white, and most people would look at that and go "Huh?". :;):

So what color is Undead Skin? Greenish? Yellowish? Bluish? Opinions, please!

--Anne, gleefully opening a can of worms

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"So what color is Undead Skin? Greenish? Yellowish? Bluish?"

Yes. ::):

Depends on the level of decomposition and what exactly is decomposing. Skin tends to go from a blue to a yellowish-green to green to chunks as it decomposes. Internal organs sort of skip the bluish phase and go straight to green/brown, like the colors of spoiling hamburger. Eyes get cloudy white and then go to crusty brown. When you add in environmental effects like weather, insects and other carrion eaters the decomposition process can speed up dramatically or slow way down. Skin goes from pinkish-blue to jerky brown in a desert. In a damp climate you can get all manner of colors due to molds and other spores. Did you know that hair and finger/toenails continue to grow after death for quite a while?

The manner of death matters too. A body that bleeds out will decompose much slower than one that doesn't.

Ohhhh..you mean .. oh, well... I've always thought zombies should be greenish and vampires bluish.

• Reaper User

Okie, so maybe I should rephrase--yes, I know that they *can* be almost *any* color. But which, in a triad, assuming you get only one triad, would you find most useful? :) Or should I do three different skintones and let you guys figure out how to shadow and highlight 'em? ::D:

--Anne

Ohh please can we have two.

a vampire type undead with a blue-ish tinge. and a walking corpsified triad of yellow-ish green.

OHH Please. Pretty pretty please.

I would prefer yellow-ish green if we only get one.

I have found that the blue-ish for vampire types is easier to make than the decomposing colors.

I agree with the pink though, I use that in my dead guys too.

"Here lies my beautiful Zoe. Well she is much less beautiful now that she's all corpse-ified and gross." From Firefly

I think you can get a bit of the bluish cast skins with some of the existing paints - Snow Shadow for example.

Were you also wanting a standard triad with Shadow, Normal, Highlight or a themed Triad like the Clear Brights, or Off-Whites, etc.

I'm having a hard time thinking of what colors I would want, since there's so much variety, and so much would be layering around things like wounds, eyes, etc, that it would really vary significantly. I'm also having a hard time thinking of a color that I would use sooooo often, I would rather have a bottle of it rather than custom mixing it on my palette. And a color that I could potentially use for something other than just painting undead flesh.

I love a multitasker.

If I had to throw some stuff out, I would think some

Pale yellow w/ a hint of green, I'm thinking of Bile.

Pink mixed in w/ an earthy grey, I'm thinking of the color of organs and stuff that have been stored in a specimen jar.

Flesh tones mixed in w/ some earthy grey and green tint, I'm thinking of rotted flesh.

Anything else I'd probably use an existing color, or a custom blend, but that's just me.

I think the yellow to green range of undead flesh is the kind I would want a triad for. If I am going to make bluish skin I have learned to tint that. THe yellow I find leaves me lacking and when I try to paint rotting flesh green it turns out to much like Kermit. So I suppose a triad that is along a yellow green fairly pale-yellow green for highlight and yellow-green for mid level, and a green-yellow for shadow. Hope this is descriptive enough.