Sign in to follow this  
Vaitalla

Undead Skin Triad

Did you know that hair and finger/toenails continue to grow after death for quite a while?

No, they don't.

http://www.snopes.com/science/nailgrow.asp

Assuming Snopes.com is authoritative, there you go. Since I don't think the matter can be tested with dynamite or dodgy science, I doubt we'll see it on Mythbusters any time soon.

Did you know that hair and finger/toenails continue to grow after death for quite a while?

No, they don't.

Ishil is right, that's urban legend. But let's not highjack the thread with Fun Corpse Facts. ::D:

--Anne

The concensus so far seems to be what I'd like to see as well; a blueish "Cyanosis" triad for Vampires etc... and a pale yellow/grey/greenish for Zombies etc... So that's good.

What more can I add here, let's see...

I think that by looking over some of the great minis that have been painted over at CMON would give me some idea that I'm not thinking of right now, but their site seems to be down atm. Here's a link to a recent thread with some really cool undead skin by Eric J...

"little zo"

Well, maybe this isn't the best example, because it looks like he just used more of a normal "living" skintone and bruised it up alot with some glazes and stuff. But it still looks fantastic and very convincing for a recently dead zombie type.

Here's a couple of links to undead types that I've painted myself and a brief bit about the color and how it might work in a triad.

Tharian

This guy's skin was done solely with the Bone triad. Very effective for undead IMHO.

Vandrian

This guy was done with just grey and white tinted with some blues and greens. Came out ultra pale in the photo...a bit too pale actually.

Osric

This one was done with a really pale ochre greenish tint. I like it but my camera could NOT get a good pic that day...looks a little warmer in RL.

Scavvies

These guys aren't undead per se, but they are on the verge of it...living diseased rotting filth that they are. A good mix of different takes of skin that is really "off". From left to right I used a Sombre Grey/ Green Grey for the far left, for the middle guy I used a light ochre green and for the far right I used a blueish jade grey with highlights of yellow ochre...alot of variance here.

Vlad

For Vlad I used Sombre Grey. Love that for Vamp skin.

Jehenna

For Jenny I used some craft paint, long time ago so I don't remember what but looks like French Grey Blue as I used to use that alot when I first started painting.

Well, these are some examples from my bag of tricks that go to demonstrate just how much variance you can have trying to render one type of skin. Trying to pin down an "official" mix is hard. Hope this helps in some way at least.

While greens are common for undead, I think the most defining colors for undead skin are regular flesh tones, and grey. Everything on top of this can be achieved with glazes and adding other colors to the shadow or highlights. The flesh tones give it verisimilitude. You know what you are seeing was once alive. The greys give it the well aged look. After that greens, purples, pinks, oranges, browns, etc, can be in different combinations. You can add some green to the shadows, and some pink to the highlights for greater contrast.

So for the triad I think what we need is a fleshy grey (or a greyish flesh) for the base. For the shade, cup your hand over your arm so as to block the light. Determine the color of the shaded area. I think that would make a goof shade color. The highlight could have a little less grey than the base.

Then we could add other colors or glazes to push it where we want it to go. This triad would also make a good choice for regular skin in shadowy conditions, like for instance the face of a model with a brimmed hat.

It could also make good dwarf flesh.

I think a yellow-green would be a nice choice the jaundiced-and-rotting look, but for those undead without liver disease, I guess I might suggest more of a grey-green.

greenish flesh would be great color, similar to the one in the old citadel line (fliptop not dryin out paint in a matter or hours once you've open the bottle)

I like the idea of a rottin triad & a more lively triad, but as Qwyk said, the blues can be made by existing triads I think.

Randy M

Hah! Rabbit, you guys just want me to add more skintones to the new Mug Shots gallery... ::P:

But I suppose that would be one way to do it. I favor a yellow-green-grey-brown mix on the Undead stuff (if I'm not doing my green-pink mother-of-pearl vampire skin), with the midtone being somewhere around GW Rotting Flesh (maybe a tad less green, a tad more ochre-y?). I'm in accordance that the bluish skintones are easily mixed with the current range. We'll see what I can cook up...but if you guys want a Gallery update then you have to let me finish this Christmas Sophie, darn it!! No more Mug Shots 'till then!! :lol:

--Anne :)

p.s. you *do* realize that I had a list of at least four more dark elf skintones to put up, don't you? ::D:

As the tissue rots, it makes it *appear* like they are growing...(now there's a thought :wacko: ).

I would prefer something in a grey family.......greens are a bit passe'.... ::D:

I know not if you have finished your dead, but I thought I would post this for future reference. I found this on Brushthralls. It's a step-by-step on how to paint dead flesh and I really liked it. Haven't tried it yet though.

dead flesh

What exactly is a triad?

Reaper's master paints are formulated in groups of three for convenience. A Shade, A Mid-tone, and a Highlight. Makes it very easy to identify colors that work well together. The flipside is that all the paints are sold seperately, so you aren't constrained to buying all three paint bottles at the same time.

Rgds,

No, they don't.

I also vote on a yellowish green Triad for undead.

That is the biggest myth involving the dead...it's actually the flesh receding and not the nails growing.