Axis and Allies

Spartan6

Even though I can't stand Wk I got sucked into buying the starter and a couple boosters for the new Axis and Allies tabletop game. The miniatures are pretty nice, the tanks look good and the pre-painting on them is tolerable. The rules are pretty simple and you get some maps to play on.

What struck me as odd was the mechanics of it. Each model, infantry, tank, jeep etc. comes with a data card that details it's defensive value, attack value versus tanks, attack value versus infantry and any special abilities that model might have. Sound familiar? :blink:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Borrowed straight from their D&D and Star Wars minis system?

Even though I can't stand Wk I got sucked into buying the starter and a couple boosters for the new Axis and Allies tabletop game. The miniatures are pretty nice, the tanks look good and the pre-painting on them is tolerable. The rules are pretty simple and you get some maps to play on.

What struck me as odd was the mechanics of it. Each model, infantry, tank, jeep etc. comes with a data card that details it's defensive value, attack value versus tanks, attack value versus infantry and any special abilities that model might have. Sound familiar? :blink:

• Reaper User
Even though I can't stand Wk

this is actually made by wizards of the coast to very different companies :P i bought a starter pack today havent read thru it yet though

the card mechanic was one they used for the D&D and star wars mini games the D&D was out before warlord but a good thought :P

Played it at Gencon as a demo and didn't like it much, although the figures are EXCELLENT. Played it in our room that night with my roomie and really enjoyed it, despite snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with my SS Panzergrenadiers.

Game mechanics seem simple, with 'simultaneous' shooting. Infantry seemed a little vulnerable though, they should be cheaper so you can have more or have a reduced strength step instead of 'fine'/'dead'.

The distribution of figures in the boosters seems very good too, with always 1 rare and very few duplicates of major pieces in the 4 I have.

Yeah, the scale issue put the nail in the coffin for me for this game. As if PREPAINTED collectable WWII stuff wasn't bad enough. I don't like to consider my gaming minis to be nothing more than glorified counters, so yes, scale DOES count! It's a pretty cool feeling to take a step back and look at the table, and it suddenly becomes a diorama of a battle unfiolding....

Damon.

I like it. Fun and simple while allowing tactical complexity. Not for the napoleonics crowd, but for the casual gamers it is quite a hoot.

Infantry is weak, but they can proove devilishly hard to destroy if they are in cover.

Armies are a bit limited at the moment, but overall the game is a lot of fun. I run a Triple-Sherman US army at 100 points which allows for 30 odd points of jeeps and infantry.

Scale seems to be a problem in the pieces I saw at hobbytown. all are nicely sculpted, but the sizes are just wrong: A KV-85 the same size as a Sherman; a M-18 Buick Hellcat that was BIGGER than the Shermans and Pzkw IVs.....

Too right there ! My FLGS was trying to say they could be substituted in FOW . No way . :rolleyes:

Scale seems to be a problem in the pieces I saw at hobbytown. all are nicely sculpted, but the sizes are just wrong: A KV-85 the same size as a Sherman; a M-18 Buick Hellcat that was BIGGER than the Shermans and Pzkw IVs.....

No no no! It's just that the Hellcat was NEARER to you than the shermans and panzers ;)

"No Dougal, *these* are small...*those* are far!"

No no no! It's just that the Hellcat was NEARER to you than the shermans and panzers ;)

"No Dougal, *these* are small...*those* are far!"

As they say its all just a matter of perspective!

• Reaper User

i dont really see the slight scale issues as a plm if scale is such a big deal thats what historicals are for, this isnt really going to appeal to ppl who are fanatical about things being exact, its just a simple and pretty fun game for those of us who could care less if the tank is 2mm smaller than it should be lol ::P:

That's true, its not being marketed to historical gamers as replacements or anything like that :blink: just a good game in its own right.

However, for the most part the differences in scale between the vehicles is a lot more than 2mm ::o:

If a Hellcat is as big as a Sherman or a PzKfw IV that's about the same as a Sherman being as big as a King Tiger. :rolleyes:

i dont really see the slight scale issues as a plm if scale is such a big deal thats what historicals are for, this isnt really going to appeal to ppl who are fanatical about things being exact, its just a simple and pretty fun game for those of us who could care less if the tank is 2mm smaller than it should be lol ::P:

That shouldn't be an excuse for shoddy research, workmanship, or laziness...

Damon.

i have to agree with my older more educated comrades on this one. a wargame need to at least pay homage to the idea of scale...

but i did like the mini's i saw...i didn't see the ones mentioned next to each other...

this is post count 420 for me...

time to go hippie hunting wit' dah GWAR crew!