Basement Elf

Froggy the Great

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That ad has been in Dungeon magazine. I showed it to Mrs. Hex because I thought it was funny. She gave me the "why did I marry a geek?" look.

Hey, I know that look!!!

That is a beautiful ad. I can half imagine someone getting very offended by it, and complaining to their mom, but not having the initiative to do anything else about it because they just opened a bag of Cheetos and Dragonball Z is on Cartoon Network now. ::D:

I think the funniest thing is that it's hosted by Wizards of the Coast...

Bear with me... I'm a little dense :wacko: but...

Why is it funny that an ad for Dungeons & Dragons, which is a brand owned by Wizards of the Coast (aka Hasbro), would be hosted on the Wizards of the Coast website? I know I'm probably missing something here, but I'm usually pretty good with spotting "funny" ^_^ and this just seems more... umm... "obvious" than funny...

(I do think it's a great ad, though)

I think the funniest thing is that it's hosted by Wizards of the Coast...

Bear with me... I'm a little dense :wacko: but...

Why is it funny that an ad for Dungeons & Dragons, which is a brand owned by Wizards of the Coast (aka Hasbro), would be hosted on the Wizards of the Coast website? I know I'm probably missing something here, but I'm usually pretty good with spotting "funny" ^_^ and this just seems more... umm... "obvious" than funny...

(I do think it's a great ad, though)

It is 'obvious', but it's also playing on a very negative stereotype of gamers.

Alone. In a basement. Pretending to be an Elf.

I find the fact that they are playing up the negative stereotype funny.

Although, I guess it should annoy the crap out of me. Instead of playing up the solitary geek angle they could be promoting the game in a more positive light...

Hmm.... I think they are putting role-playing in a more positive light. I fully agree that table-top gaming is way better than MMORPGs for many other reasons than just it's more fun. It's social for one and that's exactly what the ad said. Looks good to me! At least the guy looks average as opposed to some sort of Napolean Dynamite character... Granted, it could have been less obnoxious in the phrasing about pretending to be an elf.

Since I don't play many video games anymore, I had to think about the message. I would rather see a group sitting around a table playing the game with an abondon compuer in the background with a fantasy game on the screen. You could use the same or a similar message, but the image would be more inspiring.

I think the reason for the ad is to combat computer rpgs, yah they are fun but wouldn't it be better if your were with freinds around a table pretending to the be that elf?? (ie D&D paper & pencil vs mmorpgs)

even thou WOTC does have computer games, their meat & potatoes is table top gaming & ccgs of course but for this conversation.

they've started running a new one but it's not as interesting as that one thou.

RandyM