Go See Serenity!

Nanite

I liked the movie for the same reason I liked the book and I hated the end for the same reason I hated the end of the book. It just doesn't make sense. Great story right up to the end. I wanted this to be one of the best movies I've seen. It almost was. Up until the end. Although I did feel the Opperative in the movie did a heck of a job with what he had to work with. Still........ There's a term for that kind of ending. I don't remember what it is because I wasn't an english major but it's considered weak and that's a shame because it was a weak ending to a very good book/movie.

When I read the book about a week ago I read it straight through and farily quickly which isn't like me. Normally I muddle through farily slowly to make sure I don't miss anything. I go back an read over parts if they don't make sense. The book and story flowed so well I didn't do that until the end. I think I went back over that three times.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? What book? You mean the three part comic? Anyway, I can't understand how anyone could see that ending as "weak" (I think the word you're looking for is anticlimactic). Could you elaborate?

There was a book as well which I think was just a screenplay adaptation.

I don't really want to elaborate because I don't want to ruin it for anyone else. However I didn't find it so much anticlimatic as unrealistic. And by unrealistic I felt it didn't fit into the reality created by the story. I didn't dislike the movie or the book. I haven't seen the comic. I just disliked the ending. Not being able to see how anyone could dislike the ending is pretty far fetched. Art is subjective after all. I will be buying this when it comes out on DVD though so I didn't hate it. I can enjoy something even if I find fault with part of it. Why does everyone have to be a fanatic?

Overall it was an OK movie. I would have expected something a bit more daring, with it but it is apparent Joss wants another franchise. I thought the first part of the film flowed (although It had some inconsistency with the show). The middle worked. The end, meh.....

It is unfortunate that I feel this way because I had onyl recently watched the show and and liked what Joss had begun. I think it would have become a great show if given a second season, but I can see why the network execs. canceled it. Unfortunately given a movie setting, the direction the movie takes seems inconsistent/forced with the direction the show had, I'm not saying it couldn't have evolved into it the grand scale the movie was in, but it seemed forced to be there because it was a movie and therefore had to be "larger than the show".

Cool, now I just have to convince my s/o to start enjoying Sci-Fi so I can have someone to go see it with. Hate going to the movies by myself, but really dont' want to miss this on the big screen.

Ah well, more popcorn for me. Glad to hear it's so good, I've been anticipating this.

I'm in the same boat. I have an idea, why don't you hop on a plane to Chicago and we can see the movie.

I never saw Firefly, will the movie stand on its own?

Saw it last night...

Loved it personally... Jayne & Mal had lots of funny lines...

The Reaver ships were super cool to a 40K Space Ork fan...

Bad guy was cool... especially his introduction...

Liked how mean Mal was for the first half.

Did not like the Reaver "Welcome to the Zombie Flick" mystery. It is a mystery that should have stayed in place, Reavers were much more threatening when you did not know why they were crazy.

But it was good. Highly recommended.

I'm finding that the ending and the explanation of certain things all followed very well from small clues we were given...they don't just come out of thin air, but builds up to the revealing of Miranda and what happened there through both the series and the film. Haven't read the comics yet, but hope to soon. I find it believeable and explains much of what we had heard or seen in the past. It's just many layers and Whedon reveals them like a pro. Had me guessing, yet in the right direction so I didn't feel stupid or cheated. I could write a huge essay analysis of this (being an English Major and writer), but really, if some of you had problems in the ending, what specifically is the trouble? Is it a difference between those that know the series well and those that don't?

I can enjoy something even if I find fault with part of it. Why does everyone have to be a fanatic?

I was just curious. Wasn't trying to push any buttons, this time. I found fault with a few parts, and still think it's the best movie I've seen in years. Even fanatics didn't love the whole thing.

I'm not a fanatic.

Ok now that that is out there.

Oh My Gawd! I loved this movie. Personally I thought the who thing made sense. --Yes even the ending--

And you get to see a new level of Mal, and Jayne for that matter.

Plus the reaver thing makes the RPG so much easier. You can do runs and what-not, but it would be hard to get into government intrigue with just the book (Serenity the game) and the TV show to base it on. THe whole reaver thing makes the govn't thing work better.

I cried, twice.

OK, just watched the first episode of the TV series as I was overseas when it started. I like the concept of the show, but may have to watch more to be sold on it.

Which first episode of the TV series? The first episode as Wheldon wanted it to be shown, or the first episode that was shown on TV (which was the one decreed by the execs)? The series works better if you watch what was supposed to be the pilot episode. The whole "Wild West in Space" thing actually does make some sense (and isn't so annoying) once you start from the beginning and get more of the background.

I hated the series when I saw portions of a few episodes in the middle. Bought the DVD series on recommendations and fell in love then.

I loved the movie. I love the shades of gray in almost all of the characters.

Ron

I mean "The Train Job." Since most pilots are unaired, I don't normally refer to them as 'the first episode.'

Fox, in their wisdom, did show "Serenity" (the original two hour pilot) - as the last bit of Firefly to grace the small screen on broadcast TV.

The least two fav episodes are, in order, The Train Job and Bushwhacked. Guess which were the first two shown by Fox? Even these episodes had some seriously great moments, though.

Been checking the numbers on the movie -- only pulled in about 7.6 million for Friday and Saturday. Not nearly what it needed to for a sequel. DVD sales will be strong, I'm sure, but I'd rather the movie break even while in theater.