washes--do they flow better on a glossy surface or

haldir

matt surface

Earlier this week & cheated & spray a couple box set Reaper dragons with Tamiya sprays, nice colors but they are glossy as all can be right now (since tamiya's main spray line is 90% or better gloss out of the can), anyways. I'm gonna try to start the painting on them, hopefully will really kick my painting habit back into action---why can't I get out of this slump!!!!! :angry: ), but was curious do washes flow better on a glossy surface or a matte surface?? Just curious, figured if they flowed better I'd wait till I dulled the mini do the shading & such.

thanks for any tips..

RM

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint in general won't adhere very well to a glossy surface.. It will also be easier to "brush off" the excess wash on surfaces where you don't want it. I'd guess the ink is more likely to settle in the recesses with such high gloss, but be careful about pooling still.

/ali

There may be differences, but it's the paint medium's characteristics that will make the paint flow into cracks and off of raised areas more than the type of paint/sealer that was there before.

I'm not saying the gloss won't have as much tooth, I'm just saying I know more about the need for the paint to behave vs. the surface characteristics of gloss....

• Reaper User

As Michael implied, gloss does not have a tooth to it (otherwise it wouldn't be shiny!) and will thus have problems holding paint in place, resulting in a lot of blotchiness. You are far better off using Dullcote, which will enable the wash to act normally, and then using a glosscoat over that if you want it to be shiny.

--Anne