For the Baseball Junkies

Qwyksilver

Okay, obviously, being a Red Sox fan, my bias is slightly skewed, and I am saying YES. Even more so since the other primary candidate is A-Rod.

We all also know that MVP is primarily awarded based on Offense. So why not a DH? I think the arguement of "he doesn't play the field" is just a bunch of utter BS.

I also hate that MVP tends to ignore Pitchers. So what if they have their own award - Cy Young. MVP is Most Valuable Player. PERIOD. Defensive players get their Golden Gloves and Offensive players get their Silver Sluggers. What's the difference?

I look at value = annual salary. Ortiz CLEARLY has the advantage here.

I look at value = performance. This is a wash Offensively if we're looking purely at the stats. Defensively, it's a given for A-Rod by virtue of the position.

I look at value = importance to team success. How would each team fare in the absence of the player? Ortiz' clutch hitting, especially over the past 2 months is the sole reason the games this weekend mean anything. Would there be much of a difference in the Yankee's performance if they just had a decent, reliable 3rd baseman in place of A-Rod?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as Ahole doesn't get it, I'm fine with it. DH is suppose to bat & Big Poppy does that job really well.

thing with a pitcher he's not a everyday player, you see him what once every 3 or 4 starts depending on the rotation. Now there are some pitchers that yah you could say are MVP cause they have the knack to stop a slump or what not (think Greg Maddux when he was with the braves a few years ago, team would lose a couple then he would start & the team would win a few games...Clemens is anther one)

Can't say much for the Yankmees, since what Georgie doesn't like he goes & buys it no matter the cost. Love it when the celler teams beat the Yanks.

Even thou I'm a Braves fan & they have a high payroll, they do have limits unlike the yanks thou, they ahve something the yanks don't & that is one helluva farm system.

anyways, should DH be a mvp, oh hell yah

now if Boston would have just won that division after leading 3-4 games late..................

Randy M

My initial reaction when this came up a few weeks ago and Ortiz was whinging that he wouldn't get MVP because he was a DH was to say "Learn to play in the field, ya big goob." I don't believe in the DH, and never will. Hell, why not have two seperate lineups for each side? One to play in the field, and one to hit. Don't just single out one position.

I have changed my mind since then. If a Designated Hitter is truly the one player that a team could not be successful without, then he deserves consideration for the MVP award. I still hate the DH, though.

This isn't a debate about whether the DH should be in baseball.

The fact of the matter, for good or ill, is that it is a position in the American League. Therefore it should be considered just like any other position. Why isn't it?

Ortiz can play the field and is not a half bad first baseman. But since there is the DH position, there is no need for him to play the field. He does play 1st whenever there has been interleague play and there is no DH in the game.

As far as pitchers. Even if they don't play every day, they still have a huge impact on the success of the team. When you have a lock down Ace on your staff that you know will kill any losing streak and can shut down the opposing batters every 5th day, that's huge. And what about the relievers. It kills me to say it, but why shouldn't Mariano Rivera be considered for the MVP almost every year. The Yankees ride his arm every season come late August/September.

Any Bunny, since you are a Yankees fan (btw, grats on Division. I hope we get to take 4 straight against you in the ALCS this year too :devil:) Would you pick A-Rod or Ortiz.

Can't say much for the Yankmees, since what Georgie doesn't like he goes & buys it no matter the cost. Love it when the celler teams beat the Yanks.

This is the one thing that I can't really blame the Yankees or George Stienbrenner on. The situation with the payroll differences is solely MLB's fault and not the Yankees. It is a rules problem with MLB. Is it George's fault that the owners of the Pittsburg Pirates don't spend the amount of money he does? To put it in perspective, consider at the next Reapercon, the folks at Reaper said they were going to hold a Warlord tournament and to bring whatever you wanted to play with in the tournament, no point limit. If I brought a 50,000 pt. army and you only brought a 500 pt. army, whose fault is it? It is really the same situation in baseball. MLB needs a salary cap if it is going to keep all of its teams. Unfortunately, the powers that be in Baseball are either too arrogant or stupid to realize this.

Rant off,

William

:blues:

P.S. btw in my example, it would be Reapers fault, not that they would ever do anything as idiotic as that, just an example.

Player SPLIT G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG

Ortiz - Season 159 600 118 179 40 1 47 147 1 .298 .395 .603

A-Rod- Season 162 605 124 194 29 1 48 130 21 .321 .421 .610

Not a whole lot to differentiate the players at all. A-Rod hit for average but Ortiz drove more in.

With the Bo-Sox getting into the play-offs as well I personally would be unable to choose between them without bias.

Also a Yankees fan, so a little biased as well. Looking at the stats though, pretty much a dead heat. Trying to look at it from a non-biased perspective I'd give it to A-rod because he matches Ortiz in stats and plays the field as well. So not only is he hitting the ball all over the place, he's fielding the ball too.

What about the fact that A-Rod's contract is 7 times that of Ortiz?

How would the Yankees have fared if A-Rod was not on the team vs how the Sox would have fared if Ortiz was not there?

I will not be crushed if A-Rod gets the MVP, he is a phenomenal player. It just irks me that someone can have as phenomenal a season and such clutch hitting as Ortiz, and he will likely not even be ranked in the top 3 for MVP votes soley based on the nature of his position, which is a valid position in the AL.

I feel the same way for pitchers as well. They too should be considered for the award.

Since the MVP is supposed to be awarded to the player that the league deems was the most valuable to his individual team's success, then hell yes a DH should be eligible to receive it. I also agree that a pitcher should also be eligible if it is decided that without that pitcher the team would have had absolutely no shot at achieving what they managed to acheive.

for the yankee fans out there I apologize, yes I'm a yankee hater, just seem to me george can't fix anything without spending alot of cash to do it.

besides to me no player is worth multi milion dollars a year, just a kid's game, but what irks me the most when is when the players(all sports) whine & complain they aren't gettin enough. Now that is what kills sports for me..

Also anther good debate is teh NL Cy young, Carpenter or Dtrain? alot of people think it'll go tot he wrong person for the wrong reason (ie Carpenter due to his team is in the playoffs) any thoughts to that one??

Randy M

I can't help but feel sentimental and give Roger the Cy Young. For his age, he has pitched phenomenal, hell, he's pitched better than some guys nearly half his age. I'd be surprised if he is back for another season. I think it would be a fitting tribute to one of the more dominant pitchers of the past 20 years. If he gets it, it will be more as a legacy than for this specific season, but still, this season was impressive.