Half-dragon on dino V2

Elouchard

Hi all,

I figured the Hunter figure would look good with a different color scheme for ebay so I tried it with an orange/sienna for the ceratosaur and pthalo blue for the rider. The whole piece was primed black, then zenith primed white and then brushed with Ti white to finish it off. I probably should have spen t more time on the underpainting part but maybe next time. I used a bunch of glazes and washes of burnt sienna, GW chestnut ink + varnish, and mars black to get the orange color, and highlights with yellows and Adikolor clay. The black stripes are actually a translucent black + green, then with some white mixed in for the highlights.

The sword is an alternate weapon as is the rock base, stuck on a warhammer 50mm square. I did the bird like a Philippine eagle instead of the harpy eagle from before. A little more brown with a blue beak. Let me know if you like it better than the other version.

thanks,

Eric

www.dragonbloodminis.com

hunter1.jpg

hunter2.jpg

hunter4.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both versions are stunning and to die for. If you ask me, if you have two painted versions, show off both. Different people may like and be attracted to different color schemes.

I actually prefer the red one. Part of it could be because the red is in a more dramatic angle shot, while the blue one is viewed from further off and side-views. (Those pics are good to demonstrate what the complete mini looks like though.)

The focal point of the blue, imo, is now the dino. The rider sort of blends in more, and the sword isn't quite visible at first glance. It IS a very cool dino though, so that may be your goal.

The red has more of a focal point on the red rider as a character, while the very well-painted dino is an accompaniment. Again, depends on what you're aiming for.

Well, I definately like the Ceratosaur better from this one, but the rider from the first one lol. They'd make a great pair. Although I do see what you're doing by contrasting the rider to the dino and all.

Love these glazed reptiles. Painting scales is such a pain, you've made it look easy with the method you've developed.

It's interesting people's preference for colors. I think I like the red half-dragon better and the other ceratosaur is overall a bit easier on the eyes, with clearer detail, but not by much. I almost went with a green rider, and maybe that would look good, with an olive ceratosaur and a jade green rider. Maybe next time. I like the contrast of the bright color but it is not as realistic as a more camoflaged rider.

For those who did not see before, here is the other version.

@ deep_sashelas the red figure is definitely the focal point of each peice, that's a good observation. That's how I photographed them also. I have one more version that I will do in all greens I think so that will be in between these two. We'll see how it turns out.

hunter1.jpg

I like the rider in the original version a bit better.. I like the dino in both.. <G> I guess the red rider is a bit easier on the eyes or something.. Can't really put my finger on it. Both paint jobs are absolutely mindbogglingly awesome, though.

/ali

These are all fantastic. I like the green rider best of the riders. The variation in the skin colors is really amazing. I keep going back to drool over the colors. *heh* I like the brown falcon in the most recent pic too. I think the brown and green play off each other well.

As far as the dino goes, I like the red one best, but that's taking each part of the scene independantly of each other. The green rider wouldn't necessarily work on the red dino, unless you had him pulling a sleigh and wearing a fuzzy hat. *grin*

Jess

I did one more actually, in green with steel armor. Just messing around with color choices.

All right. There's *no way* you can call these figures 'just messing around.' I would give a redundant organ to be able to churn out paint jobs like these.

I think each paint job has a different 'set' to the eyes. There's just some kind of expression difference on each one. My personal favorite is the red one, followed by the green.

Awesome work, as always.