A little concept work

Elouchard

Great work! The mount looks a bit wild eyed, I think a more sinister look would be more fitting and characterful, if not anatomically accurate. And I would love to see the design on the mount's shoulderpad enhanced a bit if you transfer it onto canvas. Excellent job with the saddle and the barding.

I was doing some erasing on the face so his eye lost definition. Its pretty easy to make him angry by changing the eyebrow angle and making him squint a little. The sculpt so far has him looking pretty angry.

kalath_green2.jpg

Eric

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow. Someone who can draw ceratopsian feet right. I can never get them to come out good. Same with the beak.

Anatomy-wise, you seem to have used the eyebrow horns of it's cousin Triceratops. Chasmosaurus had smaller horns that just curved upwards. But that's cool. Looks more threatening now.

Thanks! You got the tri mod. The frill of the chasmosaur looked cooler to me, but the horn length is pure triceratops. The size at 30mm scale is in between the two, but closer to a tri. It comes in at about 28 feet long in scale.

Eric

How could I not get it? I'm the world's biggest dinosaur-nerd. And back home I've got the Tamiya models of both Chasmosaurus and Triceratops.

Great work! The mount looks a bit wild eyed, I think a more sinister look would be more fitting and characterful, if not anatomically accurate. And I would love to see the design on the mount's shoulderpad enhanced a bit if you transfer it onto canvas. Excellent job with the saddle and the barding.

Hi again,

I had a concept drawing of a triceratops rider a while ago that I didn't really like, even though all the aspects were there. It was the pose that annoyed me but I didn't want to erase the pencil drawing and re-do things. So I had the hi-res scan and took it into photoshop and moved and stretched different parts the way I wanted them to fit. The main functions were 'free transform' and 'distort'. I had to cut peices individually and make layers so that helped fix seams, and the cutting was the hardest part as my mouse is not nearly as accurate as a stylus. The main changes were scaling the front larger than the back and shifting the leg position. The head needed a big change in the mouth and position so it looked like it is tossing an enemy in the air with its horns and bellowing. The head of the rider was rotated so he was looking down instead of straight. This made him look like he was fighting instead of showing off his axe. Overall the changes make the piece have more action. The base that was drawn for a different version was added and matched up with the feet.

The last step was to cut out the image and put into a gradient background (sounds familiar). Then a lighting effect filter was applied to make make it look a little more like sunlight coming down. Finally, I wanted to try the dodge and burn tool like I read comic book artists use. These are simply brightness/gamma brushes, so the detail is kept but things are darkened or lightened. It took a little pracice but I added some highlights and shadows on various bits, mainly the armor and legs.

Thats about it and I guess the next step is deciding whether or not to paint the full thing on canvas with human barabarians fighting the tri-rider (or getting killed by it - whatever). The drawing now is at least publishable for advertising but doing a painting would be fun if I actually could complete it.

Eric

www.dragonbloodminis.com

kalath_remake.jpg