Thinning problems

Ok so Ive now expanded my color range of MSP's and I'm having problems with them looking chalky. For base coats I'm using a 2:1 ratio of paint to solution (solution is 25% distilled water,40%future, and 35% Plaid extender) ive just recently started using the future and I did have problems with the chalkiness before hand. Is my solution wrong?? is my ratio wrong?? My highlight and shadow ratio is 1:5 paint to solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even before I switched to MSP, I used a mix with WAY more water than gunk (like 10 parts water 1 part future floor wax), and it's been said that with MSP especially water works best. I also found that future didn't work very nicely with MSP and started using golden flow release.

I have an empty vallejo bottle. When it gets almost empty, I put a drop of golden flow release and a drop of folk art extender and then I fill the rest with distilled water. It's not very scientific. :)

I just thought of another thing.. Since you're having this problem with new paints, maybe they just need to be shaken more? Sometimes I've had troubles with chalkiness if I don't shake it enough beforehand.

/ali

I would have to agree that part of your problem is the Future in your mix and not enough water. The future probably is just not mixing well with the plaid extender. If you are starting to mix up gunk for thinning then its best to use products designed for what your doing. I use a 20/20/60 mix but I'm also in a very dry climate.

Shake those paints well! Jubilee hit that one on the head.

I wouldn't recommend using Future with the MSP's either. Switch over to either the products like the flow improver from Reaper for the MSP's or the Liquitex and Golden brands as they are formulated for paint, while Future is formulated for floors. :) There's also wax in that stuff that can turn your white paints yellow over the years.

Regarding the chalkiness, are you using purified water or regular tap water?

Wow!!didnt expect that many responses!! Thanks all. So I'll dump my "gunk" and try a different ratio. I am a pretty slow painter so I really need the extender in my mix other wise the paint dries on my pallete. Does 80% distilled water 20% extender so like a good place to start or should I use even less extender?

Don't forget to add a bit of flow improver to the mix as well. Has a nice effect of breaking the surface tension of your paint and making it easier to get the paint off the brush. Just a drop or two of concentrate for a Vallejo bottle should suffice.