Working with kneadtite

sdnelson

Now that it's available through the Reaper on-line store, this may be worth discussing.  I currently use kneadtite primarily for building up my bases for a mini.  What I've noticed is that I'm frequently leaving behind fingerprints or generally boogering it up because it'd rather stick to me or the instruments I'm using than the base I'm trying to stick it to.

The question is, since I'm nowhere near a chemistry major, will a little oil on the intruments keep them from sticking to the kneadtite and not negatively effect the kneadtite (e.g. - prevent it from drying, etc.)?

What does everyone use to work with the kneadtite.  I hear the sculptors use dental tools.  Any other suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spit works better than water.... Period. :)

But, ifn you're not a spit fan, water works just fine. I usually keep an extra dish of it on the table when I'm using 'green stuff'. I've talked to some folks who use a water/dishsoap type mix.... they say it makes the knedatite 'slick', but I've never needed to.. I rarely use the stuff....

Might want to ask your local sculptor.

After reading an interview with Sandra Garrity, I learned she uses either water or spit, normally spit.

"Q: Which tools do you mainly use ?

A: I mainly use a number 11 exacto blade (with the edge dulled), various dental tools and pointy tools such as needles, and a spoon shaped tool that I made from a brass rod. The majority of my tools are homemade and I make more tools from time to fill specialized needs that come up."

"Q: Which are the general steps when you sculpt a miniature ?

A: I start with an armature (Wire) and build up the figure in layers, allowing the layers to cure before going on to the next layer. I moisten the tools with water or spit (usually spit) to keep the putty from sticking to the tools."

The full interview can be found Here

Sandra Garrity - spit, just lick the sculpting tool every few passes on the model

Bobby Jackson - uses vaseline on his tools except you have to make sure its on your model as well (this will sound odd but with green and vaseline you have to make sure the lubricant is all over the place or it won't stick... can't explain it just has to be seen to be believed).

Werner Klocke - uses water, rewets his tools after every pass on the model.  

With tools

1) MAKE SURE THEY ARE POLISHED (note the emphasis) use a sanding wheel, a Dremel tool and some polishing rouge. The closer you get to mirror polish the better.

2) Most of us start with a tooth cleaning dental tool, a razor blade (for making lines), a needle/pin for poking things, and various other odds and ends.

Your cooker

Put a high powered spotlight on an extension cord and affix a big coffee can around the spotlight. When you get done with your green put it under the cooker to speed up curing time.  Poke some holes near the top for a little venting... don't want to burn down your house. (be careful with your cooker, it gets.... really hot. Don't put it on anything flammable.)

Be patient

Work on a little bit, let it cure (hence the cooker), when it's solid work on some more. Do too much at one time and you'll probably mess it up... much to your frustration. Trust me. ((shivers from bad memories))

With Green

When you get ready to sculpt, once your green gets a little old, make sure you cut the center from the ribbon out. You don't want a little lump of solid in your nice soft green stuff. Bobby Jackson has 2 containers of green. One is only for the blue side, one is only for the yellow side. He mixes when needed.

I'm not a sculptor... I just dabble. ;)

Why thnk you! That was mosy informative. I use a carbon base epoxy called Gapoxio. IT is two that mix to become one (but it don't make green, looks like silly putty) It's wonderful stuff. I let it dry over night as I am in no hurry, so cooking isn't really necessary for me. I use this to fill in holes, do my bases. on my model horses etc.

lady Tam

Chaz Elliot, a miniature sculpting god uses nose oil. ( i met him at Gencon, watched him sculpt, it was a total guru experience, other sculptors say the same about him )

Take your tool as you sculpt, and wipe it on your nose. It picks up a thin layer of the body's natural oil. And noses being oily, are a continous source of this. Jewelers use nose oil to lubricate parts when assembling the mechanics in old watches.

It REALLY works. It's not too much, or too little.

-Daniel

Among other things, I've been known to use nose oil to take down the head on carbonated drinks (like coke)--just the ones I'm going to drink. †Don't be spreading your nose oil over other peoples drinks or their liable to throw down. ;)

Pallbearer

Oh...and Eewwww!

:O