Newish to Ebay.. got some questions..

Jubilee

Alright..

last night I put up two miniatures. I put them both starting at 9.99 with a buy-it-now of 15.00. I was REALLY surprised when one of them sold after 45 minutes to the buy it now. The other one just sold this afternoon with buy it now.

First, it's a cool feeling, but now I wonder if I'm hurting myself in the long run. The minis were older ones that I didn't care as much about making money off of (I think they aren't very great), and I'm mostly doing it to gain some ebay presence & positive feedback so I can make some real money from my newer work.. So, if it sells in less than 24 hours or in 45 minutes - does that hurt my ebay presence? I also featured them on CMON to up my "noticeability."

Does it mean I'm underselling myself? Do people generally use buy-it-now for instant gratification, or to get something they think would otherwise cost more than that? Do people pay more for buy-it-now than they would on auction for the security of knowing it won't be sniped at the last minute?

Thanks,

/ali

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Buy it Now when I want it, no questions asked. If the immediate price is good then there's no reason to wait.

I don't sell on eBay so I don't know how it would affect your presence as a seller. But if they look at your completed auctions people can see what you sell and how much they go for.

If this happens with every auction then either you've got a devoted following or you're underpricing yourself. In either case you might want to try pushing your Buy it Now price up a bit to see if it makes a difference.

For the most part if you are just establishing your presence on ebay to get the feedback, then it doesn't matter if they are on for 45 minutes or 7 days, you want to generate lots of completed transactions that both parties are happy with. If you are looking for exposure and lots of people looking then your "buy it nows" are to low. If you really want exposure and don't care what the final price is then don't even bother with the buy it now pricing.

With the auctions over no one else is going to see your listings until you put more pieces up. Obviously, at least 2 people thought that your miniatures were worth at least $15. My experience, from both ebay and as an auctioneer, is that it is better to set your starting bid low and let people go nuts over it and bid it up. A high price makes people hesitant (unless you already have a great reputation both on ebay as a seller or as a painter) to bid and that usually means that you won't see much movement in price. However, on ebay that does tend to attract lookers who will be curious to see if what your selling is really worth the price. So in general I would go low and let the market determine your final price.

Oh yea, and if you decide you must part with those Basti, let me know. ::D:

Yah, don't do buy-it-now if you will be disappointed by making the sale at that price. I've found that 10 days vs. 7 days vs. 5 days doesn't usually make a big difference unless you've got something that has struck a fancy with alot of folks.

Something that helps sales on ebay is asking folks if they want to hear about your future figure auctions... and the whole advertising on a few sites (CMON, TMP, Bartertown - is it still around?) I've never felt that e-bay got me much exposure although I've got a friend who did one auction & then got a commission offer about 2 or 3 months later based on that auction. Soooo... take it for what it's worth.

Most people don't see anything until it's high in the sort order (which is posted in chronological order). Me, I browse by date & price (always curious to see what's garnering the higher bids & who starts their figs at "high" prices).

Okee, bedtime for bonzo... g'night - sorry about the ramble!!!

I didn't mean to imply I was disappointed by the price the models went for.. Honestly, I'm not even sure I would have paid $15 for the models in question! <G> I guess I was wondering if it was over too soon to get any meaningful exposure - Maybe mostly I was worried that I'd dumped a credit into them at CMON and they didn't run very long (I ought to ask my two buyers if they found it via CMON though..).

I have actually gotten a comission once because someone had once contacted me trying to buy a limited edition figure I'd bought multiples of in an auction and then he remembered me over a year later. Talk about random. *laugh*

Someone just contact me about painting one of the Dark Sword set of minis.. Dunno if I should accept it, or what I should charge, but that's for another thread..

/ali

I typically stay away from the buy it now, I haven't auctioned anything lately, but I think it costs extra to run a "Buy It Now", not much, but every penny counts, at least for me. As for the going price, just set a reserve if you have a minimun price you willing to let it go for.

I didn't mean to imply I was disappointed by the price the models went for.. Honestly, I'm not even sure I would have paid $15 for the models in question!

It's funny sometimes how that works out, I've had mini's that I really worked hard on and felt like should get a good price sell for pennies, and then others that I didn't really spend much time on go high. I guess it just depends on what the buyer is looking for.

John Lee

I would be careful about trying to build up your reputation with your older peices. After all, people will start to associate your name with the lower quality pieces you are currently auctioning and may not give you a second look after you start posting your newer and high quality pieces.

Good point. I've got a wildly variable level of quality that I put out depending on the circumstance. Some folks I paint for "need it now" and the output quality is good, but not going to get top dollar. I've stopped associating my name with these because it affects my high-quality stuff....

What else, whether or not you auction it, always remember to get good photos of your best stuff.... I've been lax with that in the past & won't make that mistake any more :blink:

I would be careful about trying to build up your reputation with your older peices. After all, people will start to associate your name with the lower quality pieces you are currently auctioning and may not give you a second look after you start posting your newer and high quality pieces.

Hm. Good point I hadn't thought of. Well, good thing there are only a few I considered "lower quality" and they aren't truly bad, I just don't like them much. <G>

I would be careful about trying to build up your reputation with your older peices. After all' date=' people will start to associate your name with the lower quality pieces you are currently auctioning and may not give you a second look after you start posting your newer and high quality pieces.[/quote']

The statement is true. However, if you gradually selling higher quality on Ebay (not the other way around), people will start noticing your growth/improvement and they will bid higher. This happened to me.

My starting price varies from model to model. If the quality is low, I start with low price (usually $9.99 - $14.99). For higher quality piece, I start from mid price ($24.99 - 34.99). I haven't had lots of experience on selling stuff on Ebay, but advertisement along with good pictures really helps if you want to build credibility/existence. My 3rd auction was a Warmachine figure, Skarre. Who'd thought it went for $96! For an Ebay newbie, that's pretty awesome! (at least for me ::P: )

So that's my share on selling minis on Ebay from newbie to newbie -_-

Cheers,

--PM