Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

Tears of the Goddess

Still taking in the sights and sounds of the festival, Mycaelis makes his way through the throngs heading for the weapons tents. Seeing Cruidha heading in the same direction he picks up his pace and hails to her. "Looks like we have met a bit earlier than originally intended. It also seems that we have the same ideas. As I am not very familiar with big city dealings, would you mind if I joined you? Who knows maybe two of us can work out a better deal for weapons than just one?"

"Aye Myca (she pronounces this nickname MeeKah) that seems a good idea," she says with a smile. "I am in need of a small shield and a shaft for a hunting spear, I always like to carry an extra." She seems a bit on edge but it's hard for you to tell as you haven't known her that long.

At the opening to a tent selling spearhead, arrowheads and axeheads she stops. There is not much traffic going in or out of the tent at the moment. She looks you in the eye briefly and says, "I got an odd coin in trade. I was buyind some grain for the trip and I paid with an Aquilonian Gold Luna. I expected change in silver and got the silver and this gold coin for one of the silver pieces. I thought the trader had made a mistake. I don't like to be cheated and so I don't try to cheat others (this she says almost as a challenge) but he said that I could have the coin as if it were a silver Nemedian dilat."

She hands you a gold coin roughly the size of one of your own gold coins. It is more perfectly round than any of yours and the images are worn smooth as if with long years of use. You have not seen a coin like this before. On one side is an image of a circle made by a coiling snake biting it's own tail, there are three runes or writing symbols in the center of the coil. On the other side is a man's face, bold arrogant, and very detailed. The artistry of the coin is superior to that of any coin you have had in your possession.

"It seems a normal enough coin at first glance and I thought the trader might be trying to proposition me, but he said it was found in a bag of grain brought in from east of here on the border. It may be bad luck he admitted. So far I have not been able to get anyone to accept it in trade."

She smiles ruefully and takes the coin back. "I have some need of some silver coins if you don't mind, I'd trade this coin for five silvers and then when we've made some money off our adventure I'll buy it back for six silver coins."

"I've always had a fond fascination for the coin of different lands," Mycaelis replies. "I would be happy to trade you for your coin. As for weapons, I am in desperate need of a good battleaxe. This sword is not in bad condition, but an axe gives a much more satisfying result when it comes to cleaving skulls!"

He trades the coins for hers and deposits it into a pouch for later perusal then heads into the weapons tent replacing his smile with a stern scowl.

Cruidha smiles and winks as she moves to the far side of the tent, there are a few hardwood staves for spear shafts and a barrel with ax handles as well. You notice that the merchants eyes follow the pretty girl but he talks to you, "Young sir, did I overhear that you are interested in an axe? A warrior's weapon? I certainly have the very best here." He grandly indicates a table with a variety of war ax and hatchet heads. Some are the heavy Vanir axes twin bladed others are Cimmerian with a single axe face. There are two unusual designs and they have metal handles wrapped in leather.

Finally the merchant stops staring at Cruidha and says, "Shall we trade, no but first let me give you a free bit of advice. I saw the coin you had, there is a man in town who may buy such things. He is called Fridion and lives in the Hadrthan Court. If he pays well perhaps you will offer me a finders's fee? But enough of that, which ax suits you fancy young sir?"

"I do have this fine sword to offer in trade. It is a solid blade, but not suited to the style of fighting in which I have been trained." Mycaelis says presenting the sword to the shop owner. He peruses the shop owners selection carefully. Picking up one of the unsual looking axes and testing its weight and balance. "And of course, the young lady is interested in a new weapon as well."

"Ah my friend," says the vendor, "You have a discerning eye. That weapon you hold and the other full metal axe are of Akbitanan make, superior steel and workmanship. I will take this sword and twenty silver pieces in trade for either axe."

I have been trying to think up a way to give you some info on the prices of things. I will post some info to the Gathering later but for now: Akbitanan weapons are indeed superior, like Damascus steel or the steel of Japanese kitanas. There is a distinct pattern to the steel which is present in these axes. Your sword cost 200 silver pieces, there are some semi precious stones on the sheath worth a silver or two as well. The average axe, even the big Vanir axe would cost about twenty silver, including the handle and having the axehead fitted to the handle. I am taking the prices from the game book, except for the axe which is not listed as the bladesmiths of Akbitana prefer swords and knives.

"Ah, but look at the fine craftsmanship of this blade!!" Mycaelis says displaying the jewels so that they twinkle in the light. "I will gladly trade it for your fine axe, but I think 5 additional silvers is more than ample compensation, I also think that the lovely young lady over there is eager to make a purchase."

"Very well my young friend, your sword and five silvers it is."

With your business complete you watch as Cruidha makes an even better deal. The man is obviously distracted by your attractive partner and she manages to get a matched pair of throwing knives and a dagger for three silver pieces.

As you leave Cruidha waves at the obviously flustered weapons merchant. As you walk along she leans into you and laughs. "One benefit of being a woman and not bad to look at is that these dealers in weapons and horses are just not prepared for it. They rarely see a pretty girl and so are sometimes off their guard."

You both stop under a tree to properly place your new weapons. After strapping the throwing knives to her thigh and putting the dagger in her boot top, Cruidha says, "Do you think we should look up this Fridion in Haderthan Court or should we collect our horses and get out of town?"

"I am of the opinion that any information that we can gather before setting out would be of benefit." Mycaelis responds thoughtfully. "So, unless you think that we should be on our way, I feel finding him might be well worth our while."

"Very well then, let's look up this Fridion."

She looks around and fixes here gaze on a boy tossing stones in a clay jar. "You there, boy. Do you know how to find the house of a man called Fridion?"

"Aye that I do, " relies the boy, "For a copper coin I'll guide you there."

In twenty minutes you are standing outside a home in a better section of town. Mainly merchant homes with some well to do crafts peoples homes as well. They are mainly well kept and well equiped homes with a guard or house servant at each door. The house of Fridion is a bit different. The main house is set in an unkempt garden. There is a low stone wall like many of the other homes but it is crumbling in places. The path to the front door is not overgrown and the gate is open so nothing hinders your entrance to the property.

Cruidha takes one look and walks down the path toward the door.

Your option is to follow her lead or ...

Following Cruidha's lead, Mycaelis also proceeds down the path. The unkept state of the property making him a bit uneasy, he rests his palm upon the pommel of his sturdy new axe.

The path is clear of any vegatation, even a weed. But the garden is a chaotic welter of large and small plants. An odd symetry exists, as if there are sections to garden. There are flowers on many of the palnts, in keeping with the spring season. Cruidha has reached the flagstoned patio near the door to Fridion's home and you are perhaps ten steps away when you notice a patch of strange flowers. They are pale almost colorless flowers perched on thick jade green stalks. There are no leaves to these flowers and most startling is that you can see bones at the bases of these plants.

At that moment the door opens and a short, heavyset man steps out. "Good day to you," he says in a pleasant tone. "Can I help you?"

"Good day to you, sir." Mycaelis replies, a bit uneasy after sighting the bones. "You may indeed be able to help us if indeed you are the respected and wise Fridion of whom we have been told."

"Wise Fridion I am, respected...not so much," he smiles and gestures for you to follow. His home is comfortable and he has three servants that you see. Perhaps more as the property is large. There are many plants inside the house as well and some gardens internal to the home. You walk by all this as Fridion and Cruidha share small talk. If you have some in character questions feel free.

You end up in a courtyard, open to the sun and without any plants at all. A small fountain rests in the center of a circle of sand perhaps twelve feet in diameter at one end of the court and there are chairs at the other. Once seated and having refreshemnts set on a table the talk turns to business.

"People rarely seek me out for the pleasure of my company," Fridion states, "Therefore I assume that there is some business to conduct. " He concludes with a raised eyebrow.

Cruidha hesitates, though she has carried the conversation and small talk so far. Then with a glance at you she says, "We have a coin that is a bit unusual. We would like to know more about it and were directed to you by a weapons merchant." Again she looks at you for support...

Producing the coin with a clumsy attempt at a flourish and almost dropping it in the process. Mycaelis smiles sheepishly at the older man. "What do you make of this, wise one?"