sldrdude

B2B and Sliding Over

I think I saw some discussion about how one is supposed to properly "slide" over when in base contact.

I saw something, somewhere, but now I can't find it. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

Specifically I am looking for the "can't move at all if enemy model is on opposite sides" if it exists.

Also, I wondered if you had to roll the Dis check to disengage each individual models (it came up in conversation).

Thanks.

Doug.

I don't have the book in front of me to point out specific page numbers. But, yes, you do have to make a discipline check to disengage from every enemy model that is in base-to-base contact with you. There is also an area that mentions you are allowed a facing change when an enemy model comes into base-to-base contact with you. When a second model comes in, you may make a second facing change. If you get charged by a third, you're done. You can't adjust any more. I think this is what you are asking. If not... :wacko:

Wild Bill :blues:

Oh, we have the facing chages down pat.

Hmmmm....what do I mean by sliding?

Say I have a Templar Knight that is halfway on the front side of OL Warrior.

"K" is Knight, "X" is blank space, "W" is warrior

KKKKK

KKKKK

KKKKK

XXXWWWW

XXXWWWW

XXXWWWW

For whatever reason I CAN'T get another knight around to tag the open space on the warrior. So I want to move the knight over some.

XXXXXKKKKK

XXXXXKKKKK

XXXXXKKKKK

XXXWWWW

XXXWWWW

XXXWWWW

Hmmm...that's an interesting situation. I have run into that before, where a guy is only on half the base of another model. But, that's usually by choice. Like I had two of my models charge one of his, only to have one of mine die in defensive strikes while I wiff... :grr:

Anyways, during the Non Combat Action section of the rulebook, it talks about facing changes and different types of movements you can make. I'm pretty sure it states something about "sliding" like you want. I don't normally do something like that, though I can see a case for it. It keeps them from charging two guys into YOU!

The rulebook does not cover this situation directly. This has come up once or twice since the game's launch though. The ruling has always been the following:

The rulebook states that ANY base-2-base contact with an NME model immediately ends your movement. If you were in contact with the NME model (even if only part of your bases are touching), if you were to give him a movement action, the movement action would instantly end, since you are immediately in B2B contact.

Therefore, you cannot 'slide' models around.

Did that make any sort of sense?

NME model

<snip>

You stink Gus. And I need more coffee. :lol:

It actually took me a minute to fogure out what the hell an NME model was.

Non Moving Entity.... nope

Near Model encounter ... nope

Blah Blah enemy... SON OF A !!!

:lol:

The rulebook does not cover this situation directly. This has come up once or twice since the game's launch though. The ruling has always been the following:

The rulebook states that ANY base-2-base contact with an NME model immediately ends your movement. If you were in contact with the NME model (even if only part of your bases are touching), if you were to give him a movement action, the movement action would instantly end, since you are immediately in B2B contact.

Therefore, you cannot 'slide' models around.

Excellent. We are doing it right then (after we did it wrong a few times, stupid pre-warlord games ruleset).

It also lends reinforcment to the "if model on opposite sides, can't break from" thing. I will assume that this is correct.

I was involved in one of the earlier discussions. The ruling was that "sliding" was not allowed. although I don't recall if it was an "official" ruling or not. I think so, but I'm not sure. It sticks in my mind because I was allowing "sliding" up until then.

WildBill's statement that you have to make a discipline check to break from each enemy throws me. I thought the ruling was that only one check was necessary........

Castlebuilder

I don't have my rulebook with me at work because they actually **gasp!** expect me to work!! The nerve! ::o::lol:

I'm almost positive that either in the section of the rulebook talking about discipline checks the ruling states each individual model OR it was stated in one of the errata somewhere. I'll to look at my book with my errata when I get home tonight.

Page 61 talks about the attacker and defender adjust. What I understand is that sliding is a movement and the adjust only allow a pivot. New B2B can be made, but old can't be broken. The only ones who could "slide" are breakers and they are under the same ruling for their movement as the adjusts.

Page 61 talks about the attacker and defender adjust. What I understand is that sliding is a movement and the adjust only allow a pivot. New B2B can be made, but old can't be broken. The only ones who could "slide" are breakers and they are under the same ruling for their movement as the adjusts.

In that case new B2B isn't possible with square bases at all, unless the model makes the dis check and then backs off and charges again (thus reinforcing the no slide logic). Pivoting to catch another base will make it to where the corner of the attacking model is all that touches the original, making it both a disengagment action and also a non-melee position. Perhaps Cav bases, maybe.