ReaperCon Painting Contest

Vaitalla

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How 'bout:

Small = 1 human sized character model or smaller (dwarves, halflings, etc)

Mounted = any model riding another model

Medium = Giants, Ogres, Golems and other similarly sized models

Large = Dragon and other really big stuff

For basing, if the length of the longest part of the base exceeds the longest part of the miniature (be it height, width, or length) the model either goes into the next higher category or a catch-all category

This sounds the best to me.

Another way to keep things 'matched' might be weight categories. More figures = more weight. Most basing is fairly lightweight so it's negligible.

What if I put a familiar on a 6"*6" foam base? Not gonna weight very much, and yet with a base that big you wouldn't want it in the standard category.

You could try displacement. Have a dunk tank handy, submerge the mini and measure how much water it displaces. Just make sure warn the painters to seal their minis very well!

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

On a different note, will there be a CAV faction category?

If you limit small category to 2" bases with a maximum of 2" height "excluding limbs, appendages, weapons, banners, or other protruding parts", I think that will cover it. Anything larger goes in large category. Add in a clause that eventhough entries may be within these limits, judges reserve the right to move figures to other categories as they see fit. People will deal with it if their hunched over ogre ends up in large category instead of small, or their orc standing on a giant rock ends up in small instead of large.

ps. Large is also usually a weaker category in most contests, and as such encouraging mounted and winged models to be enterred in Large category may also be a good idea.

• Reaper User
If you limit small category to 2" bases with a maximum of 2" height "excluding limbs, appendages, weapons, banners, or other protruding parts", I think that will cover it. Anything larger goes in large category. Add in a clause that eventhough entries may be within these limits, judges reserve the right to move figures to other categories as they see fit. People will deal with it if their hunched over ogre ends up in large category instead of small, or their orc standing on a giant rock ends up in small instead of large.

ps. Large is also usually a weaker category in most contests, and as such encouraging mounted and winged models to be enterred in Large category may also be a good idea.

Yeah, Mengu, I agree, that was what I was thinking--I ran around measuring the minis in my cases on Friday to try to see what fell into the smaller category and what was shoved into the larger category using those criteria, and the biggest thing that could fit in the small category was the Hill Troll, so that's about right to my way of thinking. :;):

Re: number of categories, that will stay the same as it was for last year, except that I am adding a staff category, and may be downgrading the children's category--see below. The categories from last year were: Dark Heaven Small, Dark Heaven Large, Warlord Small, Warlord Large, Warlord Unit, Best CAV entry, Open (for dioramas, dueling-models scenes, and very large entries such as the box set dragons, among other things), young painters, and Masters (open to staff painters, Reaper staff, and past Best-in-Show winners).

Re: the children's category, the children would have to come to the Con to enter--*if* I keep the category. To be honest, I may very well retire the category until people start bringing their kids to the Con, because last year's competitors were all what I would consider ringers--kids who turned out to be the nieces and nephews of one of the employees whose parent encouraged them to paint up something at the Paint 'n' Take at the last minute to get the prizes. I consider that to be beyond annoying; it is partially because of that that I made the provision about there having to be five entries or a category would be combined with a larger one. I could also keep the category and make the prizes more "fun" and less "trophy". Or have an informal kids' contest out at the Paint 'n' Take, with fun prizes. Still debating it as we speak.

Re: Categories in general: Having judged many, many painting contests in my life at this point, size is the best call as opposed to weight. There are plenty of tall, very skinny models which really would need to go into Large but don't weigh much, and equally many short, squat models which weigh so much they'd be tossed into Large. You'd still have to draw a line somewhere, and it would be even harder to draw one in weight than in height. Plus, Sculpey weighs a bit, so Sculpey bases might catapult a mini into a higher category just as a foam base might result in the opposite for marginal models. Finally, as judges, we're trying to compare the execution of techniques across similar surfaces from mini to mini, so the height-width-depth measurements matter a lot more in making sure minis are competing against their peers.

Re: a "tiny" category for familiars and such, my fear is that it would become a "throwaway" category because familars are very fast to paint. Also, the trophies we're looking at getting for this are expensive, and I need to keep the number of categories as small as possible. Essentially, as Mengu says, we need to strengthen the weaker existing categories, which spinning off yet more categories won't do.

Re: putting a cat familiar on a cliff to get into the Large category: let them try! ::D: Even if we (the judges) kept it in the Large category, which I doubt, the model would lose so many points from poor Composition that it would end up having less of a chance than it would in Small. I have a judging criteria list, which we mostly keep informal but which I have designed a scoring sheet for should we need it. The criteria are four and go like this in order of priority: 1) Technical Merit (smoothness of blending, overall execution); 2) Attention to Detail (all the little bits painted and highlighted to the same standard of the rest of the mini, did you remove all the mold lines and flash, is any putty-work or conversion clean, is the model based cleanly); 3) Composition (both in color choice and how you grouped them, and spatially if you used interesting basing, re-posed, or converted; models with a big base or extreme conversion stand to really lose points in this category if the change detracts or distracts from the model instead of enhancing it, a la the cat on the cliff); 4) Extra Basing, Detail Work (eyes and edging, for example), Freehand, Special Effects (NMM, lighting effects). Category four is unusual in that if a model has none of the above it gets a default score in the category which is equivalent to the average of its scores in the three previous categories. Thus, an extremely clean, beautifully executed paint job, though simple, will still win over something with tons of fancy scrollwork, if its technical merit is higher than the model's with all the freehand. This is to reflect that achieving near-perfect color transitions and clean detail often takes as much if not more time and effort than, say, throwing a galaxy onto the back of a cape. ::):

Just so y'all know, I will be officially posting the Judging Criteria when we post the Competition Rules and Categories, which will most likely happen after we cross the line into 2006. ::):

--Anne

Re: the children's category, the children would have to come to the Con to enter--*if* I keep the category. To be honest, I may very well retire the category until people start bringing their kids to the Con, because last year's competitors were all what I would consider ringers--kids who turned out to be the nieces and nephews of one of the employees whose parent encouraged them to paint up something at the Paint 'n' Take at the last minute to get the prizes. I consider that to be beyond annoying; it is partially because of that that I made the provision about there having to be five entries or a category would be combined with a larger one. I could also keep the category and make the prizes more "fun" and less "trophy". Or have an informal kids' contest out at the Paint 'n' Take, with fun prizes. Still debating it as we speak.

I know its a tough subject to pull off either way. My personal problem is not with Reaper, but rather with my child. He loves to paint, which is a great thing. But, he also requires pretty much constant attention while he is painting. Both from the "hey daddy, look at this..." to the "uh-oh... I spilled....."

I can almost never get anything done painting wise when he is painting with me (will be rectified over time as he gets bigger). I surely wont be able to leave the room and go play in a tourney game while he is painting.

Bringing Jr. for me is more than bringing him, its making the decision to allow him to have fun over me having fun. There is a time and place for that, but to me, selfishly, ReaperCon is for me.

So, as much as I would love for there to be a children category for those that do bring kids. I can say that I will not be bringing my young'en along anytime soon.

• Reaper User

Just as an aside, the Young Painters category was originally meant for older kids, not as a real youngsters category. It's more in the tradition of the Youngbloods category at Games Workshop Golden Demons, which typically draws kids from ages 10-14--i.e. they have enough attention span to paint a decent model and to somewhat police themselves at a Con. Usually. Sometimes. Ahh, heck, parents, you get the idea! :lol:

Also, remembered that I forgot to address yet another issue raised by a previous poster: No, there are no level splits in the categories; i.e. there will be no "Beginner", "Intermediate", or "Advanced" sectioning off. This is because (draw fire as this may), I just plain don't believe in it. You are entering a competition. It is national-level, sometimes international as our out-of-country peeps can make it. :;): Thus, you should expect to have to work hard and refine your talents to win a first or take a Best-in-Show. I already remove an awful lot of talent from the pool in limiting our staff painters, who are international level for sure, from competing in normal categories; they can only compete in the Masters. The previous Best-in-Show winners compete only in the Masters (got your entry started yet, Mengu? ::D: ). This is as far as I'm willing to go toward making it a little easier to win! The idea is to encourage you to push yourselves as painters and to take the things you learn in this and other forums, the classes at the RAC, and ReaperCon itself and apply them, or to just plain see what you can do when you focus on the competition and spend time painting a model to the best of your ability.

--Anne ::):

I know its a tough subject to pull off either way. My personal problem is not with Reaper, but rather with my child. He loves to paint, which is a great thing. But, he also requires pretty much constant attention while he is painting. Both from the "hey daddy, look at this..." to the "uh-oh... I spilled....."

I can almost never get anything done painting wise when he is painting with me (will be rectified over time as he gets bigger). I surely wont be able to leave the room and go play in a tourney game while he is painting.

Bringing Jr. for me is more than bringing him, its making the decision to allow him to have fun over me having fun. There is a time and place for that, but to me, selfishly, ReaperCon is for me.

So, as much as I would love for there to be a children category for those that do bring kids. I can say that I will not be bringing my young'en along anytime soon.

(got your entry started yet, Mengu? ::D: ).

You haven't cast it in metal yet :;):

This is as far as I'm willing to go toward making it a little easier to win!

Easier, tee hee...

The idea is to encourage you to push yourselves as painters and to take the things you learn in this and other forums, the classes at the RAC, and ReaperCon itself and apply them, or to just plain see what you can do when you focus on the competition and spend time painting a model to the best of your ability.

Joking aside, I also firmly believe this, and appreciate the chance to compete aginst the staff painters. I would encourage painters of all levels to paint something for the contest, because win or lose, entering contests is the best and quickest way to improve your skills.

Category four is unusual in that if a model has none of the above it gets a default score in the category which is equivalent to the average of its scores in the three previous categories. Thus, an extremely clean, beautifully executed paint job, though simple, will still win over something with tons of fancy scrollwork, if its technical merit is higher than the model's with all the freehand. This is to reflect that achieving near-perfect color transitions and clean detail often takes as much if not more time and effort than, say, throwing a galaxy onto the back of a cape. ::):

--Anne

As someone who doesn't do much freehand I want to give you a big hug for this if I'm able to make it to the Con. Granted my blends aren't that great right now, but its nice to know I have a chance. ::D:

I love contests because they get me off my lazy butt and paintin, and also to try new things.

For sizing options could the judges just use some form of Monster manual? Like humans no matter what weapon they are wielding go into the small same with Ocs, goblins and the like while Trolls, Minotaurs go into the large? With the fact that Reaper is first and foremost a Gamers company I would think that someone is a GM who knows his or her monster sizes.