more pics of my terrain

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks ive got a long way to go i plan on making many more scenes.the next ones ive been thinking of are a castle built into a moutain , a swamp(im already doing cypress trees),and a frost moutain type area with snow moutains ect. it will prob be a life project since ill add on to each scene as i go but its great fun

i started with plastic card then glued the seams ,then i used liquid rubber and polyurathain to seal it, then painted it with enamel paint then clear coated it. im still working on it ive got a couple leaks but the cool thing is if i do get leaks i can work on it below so i dont have to restart it all just re seal if neaded it should last forever since its all plastic. thank god for the construction exp

It's plain to see you have the Bug. I got started on my older borther's rail road scenes (one of which was 8 ft by 14 ft). I can't stop either.

From a scenery standpoint I like all your stuff. From a miniatures game-play standpoint I think the uneven terrain may make some styles of play difficult: moving 6 inches or 15 inches or whatnot. Standing up a mini so it won't fall over, that sort of thing.

I used to use the railroad scenery techniques on all my stuff, but now I've adapted some of the tricks I learned from looking at the Warhammer type scenery (see White Dwarf magazine etc.). For minis it is good to have flat trails, flat shelves or benches on hills and lots of flat places for minis to stand on.

But that's just me and my Mini-centric world.

The trees you've done are great. The mountain that looks like it butts up against the wall is a good idea, too-- it is off to the side where it shapes the playing field and gives a good "feel" for the terrain the players are facing.

Keep posting some pix. In a few weeks I'm going to try to shoot some more of my stuff and post it.

good gaming,

i started with plastic card then glued the seams ,then i used liquid rubber and polyurathain to seal it, then painted it with enamel paint then clear coated it. im still working on it ive got a couple leaks but the cool thing is if i do get leaks i can work on it below so i dont have to restart it all just re seal if neaded it should last forever since its all plastic. thank god for the construction exp

Very cool setup.

If you (or someone you know) have access to a HVLP spray gun, you can hit it with a couple light coats of flat acrylic clear coat. Two or three coats will make it as water proof as you could get it and keep it fish friendly once dry (a lot of the other clear coats continue to outgas once dry...and may lead to floating fish ::o: ).

Now if you wanted to get really crazy (I have done a few on a much smaller scale) you can use live moss, live plants (most grocery stores and greenhouses have el cheapo bonsai that can be pressed into service - as well as plants like bromelaids and baby's tears that make impressive undergrowth) and really have something nifty. Using fiberglass matte and urethane resin (sealed with potable water tank epoxy) will provide a singular seamless base that can be worked with just like plaster cloth with model RR setups. I has a half dozen poison dart frogs who lived in one for many years done that way.