The recent Quality of Reaper Minis

I have bought a great deal of Reaper minis as of late and I have seen a lot of miscast issues. I have been buying from you guys for a long time, but latest batch of minis were poor.

Now I can deal with mold lines and flash, that is to be expected, but many of these minis were offset with mold lines everywhere. Granted most of the poor casts were Warlords which seem to somehow sub par to most Reaper sculpts.

Am I the only one who has seen sculpt problems like this?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"ve seen a few fill-problems where the metal did not flow properly into the entire mold, but the sculpts have suffered no recent loss in quality IMO. They are every bit as well-designed as DHL line.

If anything, it could be a problem with aligning the two parts of the mold, not to be blamed on poor sculpting.

Incidentally, out of approximately 500 Warlord models purchased by this household, we have only had two that did not completely fill, and only one that was "not right" enough to bother asking for a replacement.

I have bought a great deal of Reaper minis as of late and I have seen a lot of miscast issues. I have been buying from you guys for a long time, but latest batch of minis were poor.

Now I can deal with mold lines and flash, that is to be expected, but many of these minis were offset with mold lines everywhere. Granted most of the poor casts were Warlords which seem to somehow sub par to most Reaper sculpts.

Am I the only one who has seen sculpt problems like this?

I agree with you. In recent weeks I have found myself thinking the same thing - that compared to a few months ago, casting problems have been getting worse. ::(:

Sounds like Spike isn't noticing any problems. I hope others chime in!

There was some discussion recently concerning the quality of some CAV mini's. Mold lines and shifting with them was explained to me as a problem with the molds that apparently is being addressed. Something to do with two different kinds of rubber that expand at different rates or something. I really wasn't interested in the "why's" of it, what I was impressed with was how receptive Reaper was to listening and addressing the issue.

In the last three years or so out of literally hundreds of mini's that have passed through my hands as purchases and give-aways I've encountered exactly one miniature that was miscast and needed replaced. The product was replaced free of charge after only one phone call. In another similiar incident a friend bought a starter box that was packaged without bases. I sent an e-mail and within five minutes recieved a reply e-mail asking if the bases should be shipped to him or me. No questions. No "prove it". No "send it back". Just a company committed to customer satisfaction.

I recently bought a fairly large amount of Warlord mini's and I didn't find any fault with them at all. I don't think the sculpts are sub-par in any way. I happen to think that the Warlord mini's are some of the coolest that Reaper makes. How can you not like the Guardian Angel or the Dark Maiden?

I'm sure that if you're dissatisfied in any way with a Reaper product they'll make good on it somehow. I've never met a more open and caring group of people than those that work at Reaper.

I have been noticing a HUGE amount of packing errors, peices missing or 2 left arms ect... and even a few packs where there were multiple of same pose yet missing another. These have all been taken care of for me (except I recenty got a warlord dwarf 2 handed axe pack missing an axe, but I am awaiting the next problem to complain to save reaper shipping hehe)

I think they must be hiring some new peeps and need to crack down the whip some :)

In the past year I had five figures out of 150-200 (mostly Warlord) where the molds were misaligned so badly that the mini was not usable. Reaper kindly sent replacements out quickly. There have been several other figs that required so much cleanup that I had to sacrifice detail, which I chose over waiting for replacements. In addition there have been at least a dozen figs that I didn't purchase because they looked bad in the blisters.

My post is to help Reaper understand the scope of this problem and not just a complaint.

Thanks

I picked up a Warlord pack of Beastmen at a store in Birmingham, Al, only to get back to the hotel and find that the heads were missing. They replaced it the next day, but I had to make the trip. The replacement had one really mis-aligned body that was unusable. Other than that most of my purchases have been fine

John Lee

Hmm. This appears to be recent, as I've not bought any Reaper for a month or two and haven't got any miscasts - at all- either. Honestly, Reaper are the only line I've bought where I have had ZERO miscasts, and I buy everything via mailorder.

I've got $5.00 on a change of rubber compound, either supplier or type, because previously Reaper have had an EXCELLENT reputation regarding casting and quality control. Also, if Warlord is running hot, they may be having problems keeping up supply? That could put a lot more pressure on production.

I've got $5.00 on a change of rubber compound, either supplier or type, because previously Reaper have had an EXCELLENT reputation regarding casting and quality control. Also, if Warlord is running hot, they may be having problems keeping up supply? That could put a lot more pressure on production.

Hmmm.... I'm thinking it's probably more likely a people problem. I seem to remember a few weeks back that ReaperBryan wasn't online much because he had been pulled back from the front office into the back to do production work. I can't imagine that they would have done that if they didn't have some sort of strange turnover issue - like a bunch of people quitting at once, or something - and desparately needed someone who knew what they were doing back there pronto. If they had to quickly hire a bunch of new people in production molds, casting, or quality control, it could explain something like this.

But, personally, I haven't had any minis that were miscast enough to return, and the vast majority of the ones I've bought have had no visible mold line at all, so I'm guessing (and hoping) that this is just a bump in the road which can happen to any company, and unless the problem persists, I'd focus more on how the company handles the issues rather than the fact that there were issues. Despite that contract with the devil, the Reaper peeps are still human, after all. ::):

And in my experience, Reaper is awesome about righting any problems that do happen.

There have always been miscasts, shifts, and mispackaged minis. In my experience miscasts happens about 1 in 50 miniatures or so I buy, mispackaged minis are about 1 in 30, and shifts about 1 in 15. That's only counting shifts annoying enough that I won't work on the miniature. So about 1 in 10 miniatures I get has a problem. The 10% discount I get at my FLGS covers that. If I must have a miniature replaced, I've hardly ever had problems with replacement miniatures, or parts.

Having said all that, I would be happier if the tolerance on mold shifts was lower.

really the only thing I've noticed in recent releases that I've gotten, have been alot more noticeable mold lines on the minis, espcially on the outter areas of the arms, but other then that no really misaligned minis or anything like that. I did have a WL slitthassa or whatever spelled ( snakeman with the 2 ended polearm), one was looked like a squiggle (the lower half), so I emailed Bryan & he promptly sent out a replacement for it, & when I get to Reapercon 06 next year, that one I have will return back into the pot to begain life anew as anther mini.

Randy M

I don't know if it's "new", recurs in batches, or afflicts specific minis.

I had a Helena that was badly aligned and did quite a bit of repair on her to make it work. That was a few years ago (the first mini exchange in fact). I was going to buy a new one locally to replace her, but EVERY one of them I saw in stores was mis-aligned. I've also seen a recent one that was bady aligned as well.

I am currently working on a Hyrekia with a mis-aligned hand. I "made" it work though, because I didn't want to bother with waiting for a replacement.

The Hill Giant I picked up at Gen Con will need some tricky filing to make work as well.

I give Reaper the benefit of the doubt, since the good outweighs the bad. Still should be looked into, since someone new to the hobby may not be as forgiving.

This is coming from someone that has done alot of casting in her time.

Mold lines are the devil.

No matter how careful you are if you use a rubber mold you will eventually get mold lines, on say a production of 5 pieces I expect to get 2 or 3. And if you have been using mold rubber X for 5 years and they no longer make it so you say have to change to mold rubber Y, it can take months to figure out the new rubber's quirks.

Considering the number of miniatures they produce every day I am supprised at how small or non-existant the mold lines are.

Now this isn't saying I've never gotten one with a funky mold line that took a Dremel to fix or in one case a partly un-filled sword (it was free I didn't really care). But I'm lucky I've never had a totally mis-aligned mini or missing pieces. I did get an extra Kong-To hand once.

But considering how great Reaper is about fixing these glaring issues I'm still willing to buy, and if I get a really icky model deal with it from there.