The recent Quality of Reaper Minis

Buy them and return them? I mean, if the FLGS is too..... cognitively different.... to return miscasts (mold lines dont count unless they're exceptionally offensive) then SOMEONE's gotta help them out.....

For the record, my only serious miscasts have been from two OTHER companies, but both were solved with filing and filler in pretty short order.

However it wouldn't be only the FLGS where faulty returns went straight back on the shelf. After buying the same faulty appliance twice at a retail chain, me dear mum put a note on it saying "DO NOT BUY ME! I AM BROKEN!!". Sure enough, it went back on the shelf...... with the note still on it.......

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have noticed many recent minis with defects.

I recently bought the newest Female Antipalidin , and after getting it home noticed the hrooendous misalignment. Okay, the misalignment isnt really that bad, but it destroys the detail of the hair, as it runs diagonal through the head, and hits like every hair. I am more skilled thn most in the department of filing and filling, and not too bad a slouch in terms of sculpting small parts, but there is no way to fix that hair (it is not onl y misalogned, the back half is raised noticably so that it gives an odd stepped look to her head. I am so angry with myself at being so overjoyed to see it on the shelf (drove to my flgs the day it was delivered) that i didn' t check the alignment while still in the store.

Now it sits face down, replaced into the package, and I am too disgusted to look at it-such a beautiful sculpt totally boogered. Yet I am reluctant to contact Bryan and the crew because all things being equal, the miscast really isnt that bad. and I opened it, so I cant return it. And I cant afford to just buy a new one (new baby, fiancee not working). And I feel a little guilty because I already had one mini replaced (laast year) that was badly miscast-I feel like I will be abusing the system if I ask for another replacement.

Maybe I could ship it to reaper on my dime and they would send me a replacement-worse comes to worse they could melt and recast it (at least they wouldn't lose out on the tin). better to be out the 1.50 shipping then pay 4 bucks to get a new one, and have this one sittin on the shelf.

So she lays facedown on my shelf, her scarred visage forever hidden from the light of day. :down:

On a lighter note, I noticed later that the other in the FLGS was even worse, and at a different FLGS the only on there was also miscast, but not as bad as mine.

I have yet to see a cast of this mini that wasn't noticeably shifted.

If there is one out there, I'd like to know

If you have a miniature that needs to be replaced, even if it was made under license in the UK, you are more than welcome to contact [email protected] for a free replacement as part of our warranty. If you can include in the message a complete description of the problem/defect (shift lines, missing component, not fully formed parts, etc), the part number, and the order # if you purchase dit form our online store, as well as a complete shipping address, we will happily take care of the problem and send you free of charge a replacement part.

Now I'm really impressed.

I too have noticed many recent minis with defects.

Now it sits face down, replaced into the package, and I am too disgusted to look at it-such a beautiful sculpt totally boogered. Yet I am reluctant to contact Bryan and the crew because all things being equal, the miscast really isnt that bad. and I opened it, so I cant return it. And I cant afford to just buy a new one (new baby, fiancee not working). And I feel a little guilty because I already had one mini replaced (laast year) that was badly miscast-I feel like I will be abusing the system if I ask for another replacement.

Maybe I could ship it to reaper on my dime and they would send me a replacement-worse comes to worse they could melt and recast it (at least they wouldn't lose out on the tin). better to be out the 1.50 shipping then pay 4 bucks to get a new one, and have this one sittin on the shelf.

I'll second what Ladystorm said and add...DON'T FEEL GUILTY for their miscast! They are willing to fix the error even if you bought it at the FLGS and it's opened at no expense to you (and trust me, like someone else said you don't have to send your deformed one to them). You just have to send them the information that Bryan requested a few posts back and give them a chance to fix it for you. Believe me they're eager and willing to! You're not abusing the system, you're helping them right a problem...

debby

Not only does it get you a new model, but it helps keep Reaper aware when there's a problem with a specific model - if there are complaints, they know to check the mold & fix it. If there are no complaints, there's no reason to check or fix anything.

I have noticed more extreme mold lines & misaligned models in the 2900s than the earlier numbers, but so far I haven't come across anything that seemed unfixable or out of the ordinary. Since I buy far more reaper than anything else, it's hard to really say whether it's a problem with reaper or just a question of percentages. ;)

Just as another data point, in the last couple of weeks I've bought around 4500 points of Warlord Dwarfs and 20 or so Dark Heaven figures. I've had no miscasts. My Freja and a couple of my dwarf crossbowmen had a little bit bigger mold line that would be ideal, but everything else was near perfect.

loyd

• Artists
Buy them and return them? I mean, if the FLGS is too..... cognitively different.... to return miscasts (mold lines dont count unless they're exceptionally offensive) then SOMEONE's gotta help them out.....

I work at one of my LGSes, and our policy is not to even try to return items. Almost everything we purchase is from a distributor (middle man), not directly from manufacturers. We have recently switched distributors, but I haven't heard of any change in policy. When I originally asked about it, I was told that because every manufacturer has a different policy and procedure about how to do returns, it's just more hassle than it's worth. If someone returns a faulty product or we notice one on the shelves, we slap a pretty big discount on it, and usually a note about what's wrong with it if that's not immediately apparent. We usually do a small discount even if the only problem is the packaging of the product (markedly dented, frayed, pages of a book a little miscut, etc.), but it doesn't really affect use of the product. By the time a product reaches our store it's been shipped at least two times and possibly more, and occasional damage happens. (Occasional damage also happens in-store, like when a former co-worker made a big pile of items behind the desk that I fell over while trying to get something further back for a customer...) People are really persnickety about that sort of thing, so we just don't even try. Board games and such that people return because of missing pieces often go into our tiny storage area, kept to be used as spare parts if someone else comes in with a problem or having lost a piece.

In short, we eat the loss on damaged stuff. I'm happy to report we haven't had a lot of problems with Reaper products. (And not too many problems generally.) There were a couple of paints from the problem run of LtP #2 that I exchanged at the store before I knew about Reaper's good customer service (and before I worked there). We've got a Lorielle Silverrain on the sale rack currently. I think the tip of her bow got stuck in the glued part of the blister and the weight of the rest of the mini broke it off. Easy enough for those comfortable doing so to do a weapon swap on her, and it could probably be glued/GSed easily, too. I've debated buying her myself and asking Reaper for a replacement, but this is one of the few figs I've actually already painted, so I don't really need her. :-> A couple of months back we had a weirder one, a DH figure (I can look up which one if Reaper folks would find that useful to know) that was all cracked and crazed throughout the metal, like the metal had gone all brittle or something.

Most of our customers buy minis for RPG games, and don't spend a lot of time doing prep. I don't think moderate, or even more significant mould lines would be something they'd return a mini for. For myself, I do find Reaper minis a little more prone to mould lines than some other lines I've seen, and I've got some Reaper minis with misalignments that I considered pretty annoying. I hadn't thought about that as something meriting product replacement, though. My assumption has always been that Reaper minis have more than I've seen in some lines because they're produced in larger numbers, so more wear on the moulds, less time to check every mini for minor details in QA and so on. I just wish the Reaper metal mix was a smidge softer so all that filing could go a little faster. :->

(Weirdest damaged product so far - I noticed a blobby d20 in a dice set. What makes it interesting is it seems to me like it wasn't mismoulded or melted during the moulding process, as it went on to have the numbers painted on. Then half of it got melted, with the metallic numbering paint creating streaks through the die. It's really funky. We sold the normal dice out of the set as singles and I snagged this one as a sort of good luck charm.)

In short, we eat the loss on damaged stuff.

No reason to do that, ever.

It doesn't matter that you normally buy from a distributor.

We - support - our - retailers. Period.

Customer service includes our retailers too ya know ::):

Monday, you should contact [email protected] and talk to Jay and she'll get your info as well as an exchange authorization if necessary.

I would dare say it's the best program in the industry. Try it out, you'll be surprised.

• Artists
I would dare say it's the best program in the industry. Try it out, you'll be surprised.

Nope, I wouldn't be surprised, because I already think Reaper is a super company staffed by wonderful folks! ::D: (I've had a chance to talk to Jay on my own time, and completely agree that she's really nice to talk to.) I know my boss thinks really well of Reaper, too, and he paints loads of Reaper figs. If 'twere up to me, I'd take you up on the offer, but I'm just a lowly peon. I'll try to mention it to someone who isn't, next time I get a chance. Though I don't think we've had more than $20 worth of problem product from Reaper in the last two years, if that. I also plan to ask if I can add our store to your b2b website so we can get more than one Casketworks. Our new distributor is really very good for the most part, but they only sent us one of the latest CW which we have to use as a store copy, they're killing me. ;-> I just mentioned cause it's not necessarily a case of a store being 'cognitively different' (weird or lazy, maybe ;->).

Sergeant Crunch - I paint so darned slowly that I figured I should keep away from doing the same fig more than once. ::):