The recent Quality of Reaper Minis

I must admit are the poorest in the way of design fit. I know the fig you're talking about when you talk about the arms not fitting the sockets, he makes me think of someone trying to run with a sword and shield and clap at the same time. I ended up putting the arms between the rubber coated handels of a pair of pliers and gently pressed them together until they fit close enough for the shield to hide most of the gap. If it wasn't for the shield I would have had to use greenstuff to fill it in. I really can't say that I've had much in the way of the mold lines being off or there being that much excess flashing other then some dangling off the edges. The feather detail on mine came out nice and clear so no problem there. Crusoe is right that some of the heads fit the bodies better than others. All in all though the reptus figs rock.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through 8 blisters of Goblin Warriors last night. 2 of them had really bad mold lines on the figures (all three) and about half of the arm/weapon sprues were badly misaligned (most are probably salvagable, but this is going to add a ton of time for prep work). There was quite a bit of flash as well, although not excessive. In addition, in 2 of the blisters the data card was glued to the blister pack.

I still have 5 more blisters to go through. 2 blisters were bought at Gen Con, but the remaining 11 were ordered direct just 2 weeks ago.

just looked at my carnotaurus mini today closer, while the mold lines are nonexistant on it, it's hands are pretty much nubs, so I may or may not get that one fixed, looks ok untill you really zero in on it then it's bad.

Also lately I've been gettin a rash of bad quality as well, where I wasn't other then a nasty flash line or metal bits that were easily removed & such.

among the recent have been missing a dropper tip in a MSP empy 3 pack, bad metal fill on the ankle of one of Viridus's legs (recent cast too according to the date stamped on the box), Sir Damon's shield not in the pack, various data cards glued to the blister, no biggee there, just replace those at Rcon next year. Also been gettin alot more significant mold lines as well, enough that they really need alot of filing down to even be workable.

not complainin just kinda funny how things started to build up & as you can see most has been recent releases as well. Older stuff I get is fine for the most part.

RM

I just got an order of MSP from my vendor and found one had leaked from under the cap (have to make sure the paint is still good) and three of them had their caps put on off-kilter.

Nothing major but I wanted to make Reaper aware.

• Reaper User
I just got an order of MSP from my vendor and found one had leaked from under the cap (have to make sure the paint is still good) and three of them had their caps put on off-kilter.

Nothing major but I wanted to make Reaper aware.

On that leaking from under the cap thing, are you sure it was a recent leak? Sometimes, since we fill these manually, there's a paint dribble that doesn't get caught and cleaned off before capping. ::):

--Anne

I've always had problems with Reaper and mold and flash problems as well as misaligned molds. I figured it was par for the course. If something was horribly misaligned to the point that I'd lost half the mini from filing, then I'd return it. I don't expect perfection, but that is part of the reason I haven't finished many minis. I spend most of my time filing and fixing and filling in with putty. I get it primed, then find something else and end up having to start all over again. I spent one day, about 8+ hours, working on about five minis, and none of them are quite done yet with the mold line removal.

The worst one, I think, is the moose I got from Jason Wiebe at RCon '05. Mold lines are extremely hard to reach in some places and are quite bad, and the inside parts of the legs look like the molds were cast from an unfinished green. I'm extremely happy and grateful to have this particular piece, but it's going to take me some work to get it up to my retentive standards where it's acceptable to be painted (basically, I like my minis to be so completely clean they can be used as masters).

I've also got a DH 2605: Ulthalokh that was horribly misaligned. I did some work on it to try and repair it, but I think it's going to have to be replaced. While I managed to get the grooves in the armor fixed, you can see the unnatural slant from one side to the other. This was a much older mini, and before I knew about Reaper's replacement policy.

The Marty I have has a lot of pitting in the body. I showed it to Bryan over RCon '05, and he made several attempts to recast a body for me, but they all turned out worse than the one I had. I'm going to try fixing it with greenstuff, but we'll see how that goes.

Strangely, the old RP's and Grenadier minis I have (some ancient and made of lead) don't have nearly the problems with mold lines and misalignments. Have casting techniques changed that much in 25+ years, or is it something to do with the change in the metal alloys used these days?

You know, I notice the same thing on my older minis. I can only assume casting methods have improved over the years, so it's probably volume issues on todays minis.

And I want a Moose too...

Update on the Goblin Warriors. Based on the bases (sorry) I hadn't got to the Gen Con ones in my prep work before. They were about the same quality (good bodies, bad arm/weapons). Bad mold lines on the bodies in 2 of the other blisters though (which makes 4 out of 11 recent casts). I don't know if I just noticed because I plan to use more of the swords, but the sword sprues seem to be worse than the axe/mace sprues (I stuck myself with the exacto so I didn't finish prepping them).

On that leaking from under the cap thing, are you sure it was a recent leak? Sometimes, since we fill these manually, there's a paint dribble that doesn't get caught and cleaned off before capping. ::):

--Anne

No, it was crusty under the cap too. I can deal with a dribble or a bit. It happens. This one is way beyond that. I'll keep you informed.

And I saw where the paints are born. It's awe-inspiring to see box after box after box of paints... Right there where you can touch them...