Holidays Ranting.

lstormhammer

I agree with the holiday music-it drives me INSANE!!!! Now, I can tolerate Ella Fitzgerald wishes you a Swingin' christmas once or twice a year or my mom playing carols on the piano on Christmas eve, but anything else is overkill (and makes me want to smash the speakers). As for shopping, I stay out of stores from the day after Thanksgiving till the end of the year. I make my gifts and work on them throughout the year, so there are just a few loose ends that need to be tied up and I'm done. We have a very LONG list because both my husband and I have families small enough to have to get EVERYONE something, but large enough for that to get REALLY expensive. We're also quite capable of making gifts folks enjoy. Fudge and cookies are always favorites (no, I haven't baked them yet).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine me..last night at Hobbytown... ATTEMPTING to run a two-thousand points orc army whilst being forced to endure Feliz Navidad on the PA system.

Just be grateful it wasn't "Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland," the Eurythmics version...I HATE that one, if it's never played again, it'll be too soon.

I began my holiday shopping last January during the post holiday clearance sales and plugged away all year so my gift shopping is finished, has been since October.

You would make my mother proud. She feels that if you're not done by September your pushing it.

If I never hear Feliz Navidad again It will be too soon. I used to work in a mall, 11 hour shifts of too loud Christmas music, all 25 minutes of it played in a loop. ARRG!

When I get my store open I'll play chamber music, nice soft and un-offensive. Maybe a little Bing Crosby.

As much as I dislike most Christmas music there's nothing that gets me into the "Spirit" than Bing Crosby and Perry Como. but not on repeat, maybe once a day or so while baking.

As far as presents: The ladies on my list are getting homemade bathsalts and the guys are getting minis. My brother is getting magic cards. The only ones I'm having problems with are my fiancee and his parents.

--Luckily since we're trying to save for a wedding, everyone will understand dirt-cheap presents.

One tradition I can't do without is the 'Christmas Pickle' ...Anyone else know this tradition?

One tradition I can't do without is the 'Christmas Pickle' ...Anyone else know this tradition?

of course.

A pickle is used as decoration on the Christmas tree seems odd at first, but it is an old German tradition. When decorating the Christmas tree, it is traditional to hang the pickle last, hidden among the branches. The first child on Christmas Day to find the Christmas pickle receives a special blessing for the year and an extra gift!

our extra gift is always one of those chocolate oranges, the kind you whack on the table to get it to fracture into the segments, that way the whole family can share in the winnings.

'Christmas Pickle'

????

I'm almost scared to hear the explanation on that... :blink:

This is a family forum silly. ::P:

The Christmas pickle is a German Tradition (At least according to great grampa Schneider). You have this pretty glass (it might have been real at one time) pickle ornament and on Chrismas Eve when Santa shows up he hides the pickle ( :blink: stop giggling) somewhere on the Chrismas tree. It can't be in anything so its one of those hiding in plain sight things. When the kid-litts get up in the morning whoever finds the pickle first gets and extra gift.

In our house (with 3 kids) it was whoever finds it gets to open the 1st present.

My 1st Christmas away from home my mom had sent me off with our old pickle to cary on the tradition. The person at the house that found the pickle 1st snagged it as she was picking it and it crashed onto the tile. She felt so bad because she was convinced she'd never be able to find one to replace it. Turns out she did after Chrismas at the Bon Marche (now Macy's).

I can't be the only one with wierd family traditions.

just a update on my wonderful holiday order--

just got home from work, but here how my Sunday night/Monday morning at work was--

I ordered 162 cases for the freezer, my ($($((#@@!!! manager (he's 3rd in line for being a boss at my store) that doesn't know squat but thinks he does tacked on enough to make it 382 cases!!!!!! Anything over 250 is way out of line since our main freezer holding area in the back room can't handle that much crap all at once, doesn't help that the meat dept & bakery part time share that freezer as well.

needless to say I'm very PO'ed right now & will be goin in & talking to the 2nd in charge manager today (she hates him as much as I do if not worse)

guy doesn't know anything but power, more power the better off he thinks he feels, without power he is nothing.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ugh..and the torture continues.

Yesterday at Hobbytown (not blaming the store manager..he's doing what he was told to do) was playing Xmas music ALL BLOODY MORNING.

The most gawd-awful song ever recorded HAS to be Liza Minelli's version of Jingle Bells. It makes me want to smash things and maim people...honestly.

On a happier side, the in-laws invited both of us to a T-day dinner this year..which I'm excited about. Steve's mom is an ACE cook...especially with the mac-and-cheese and her killer Eagle-Brand condensed milk "Rocky Road" cookies..... *drools*

Imagine me..last night at Hobbytown... ATTEMPTING to run a two-thousand points orc army whilst being forced to endure Feliz Navidad on the PA system.

Ugh. Sounds like hell :poke:

You know, though. I've become a bit of a hermit in the last few years. I don't shop unless I have to (except online), I work from home a fair amount of the time, and I adamantly will not go to a mall or big box store from Halloween through New Year's unless it's a dire emergency, and then I go when they first open on a Tuesday morning or at some other odd time. I also don't watch TV (not even a little).

Since shutting out most of the commercial noise surrounding it, I find that I actually like Christmas again. Because I'm not constantly exposed to them, most Christmas songs don't perturb me the way they used to. In my little world, the whole "Christmas Spirit" thing is cool again because I'm not letting it be coopted by Hallmark, Target, or Mattel.

It's been an interesting experiment. Life is so much better without all the advertisements, product placements, cross-promotions and various crap. Christmas isn't the problem; it's the corporate takeover of Christmas that's the problem.

It's been an interesting experiment. Life is so much better without all the advertisements, product placements, cross-promotions and various crap. Christmas isn't the problem; it's the corporate takeover of Christmas that's the problem.

AMEN BROTHER!