Holidays Ranting.

lstormhammer

It's been an interesting experiment. Life is so much better without all the advertisements, product placements, cross-promotions and various crap. Christmas isn't the problem; it's the corporate takeover of Christmas that's the problem.

AMEN BROTHER!

Hey Hallmark, Give us our Holiday's back!!!!

Speaking of holidays. I can't wait for turkey-day. Cuz we're actually having turkey this year. My fiancee's parents do Ham on THanksgiving...Can you believe that! But his mom is planning on a small ham and a small turkey. So its the best of both worlds.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most gawd-awful song ever recorded HAS to be Liza Minelli's version of Jingle Bells. It makes me want to smash things and maim people...honestly.

I don't know I think it's Ben Bereen's "Is that you Sannee Clause??!!!" good lord was a horrible song, but yes ole Liza does cause you to commit bloody murder upon hearin that version, ughhh.. thank god for my ipod & store being closed at nights ::D:

Randy M

There's only two holiday songs I really care a darn for.

One is Ricki Lee Jones with the Chieftains singing O Holy Night, and the other is David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing Little Drummer Boy.

Though there's a redneck Twelve Days of Christmas song that gets play around here that's funny (and true). I'll see if I can Google up the lyrics later on.

Uggh, Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer is more overplayed around here than some of the classics...

We still haven't started playing Christmas music on WBER yet, but some of the highlights are...

Suzy Snowflake - Soul Coughing (our most requested Christmas song almost every year)

The Christians And The Pagans - Dar Williams (right up there on the requests)

Hanukka Song (I, II, AND III) - Adam Sandler (of course)

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings - Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLachlan

Twas The Night Before Christmas - Rollins Band (more spoken word with sound effects than an actual song)

I'm sure there's others that get lots of requests, those stick out in my mind from last year though...

It's not that the old standbys done by Crosby, Elvis, and Sinatra are bad, per se, they're just way overplayed alongside the 5000 other singers who do the same songs, only worse. By that point, if anyone comes up with a new and original holiday song, nobody wants to hear it because it's yet another Christmas song aaargh gotta kill kill kill.

That said, Carol of the Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra is really really good.

The only Christmas music I can tolerate any more can be distilled down to: Mannheim Steamroller, Bob & Doug McKenzie's version of the 12 Days of Christmas, and Cheech & Chong's "Santa and His Old Lady." Not that I don't like Bing and rest of the crooners beltin' out the holiday hits, but they get played over and over and over and over and over and over in every store you go into. One time I thought two different stores were running off the same audio feed.

I've always like Enya's Silent Night & Bob Seager's Little Drummer Boy, also the T-SO can really put out of some killer tunes as well, but then again I like symponies anyways (mainly soundtrack type classic music like John Williams & such)

I've always like Enya's Silent Night & Bob Seager's Little Drummer Boy, also the T-SO can really put out of some killer tunes as well, but then again I like symponies anyways (mainly soundtrack type classic music like John Williams & such)

You know... Little Drummer Boy is the one Christmas Carol that never, ever bothered me, even when I was constantly exposed to Christmas music.