need advice

Almathea Toes

So I've been playing in a vampires dark ages game for about 18 months. In the last month the Gm decides he's uncomfortable with our power level.(this despite the fact someone gets torpored in any fight that ever happens, and that NPC's just boss us around always, everyone, because they are always way more poweful than us.) So, the GM has us all drop into torpor for a 100 years, arbitrarily moves us up an age bracket(now everything costs more xp to purchase, and most of us saren't even in the age bracket that this is suppose to happen) and takes all of our stuff and status. Basically, 18 months worth of roleplaying down the drain. Okay, so I have a ton of xp on my sheet, big deal, everything and everyone of any importance can simply kill the group outright. Everything of mine except one ghoul, that I've found now belongs to someone where I'm going to have to do something ridiculous to get it back. THis includes an item I got from a 3 point merit. I already had to do ridiculous stuff to get all the stuff in the first place. I just can't see how I'm better off than the three guys who made brand new characters. I'm very, very frustrated with the game. The GM instists everything is fine.

My boyfriend has advised me to, if not permanently leave, at least take a break, so I don't do something dumb and get my character killed on a whim. THe only problem is if I leave that's it. I'm the one who plays chauffer for everyone, including the GM. I feel guilty about tanking the game, and it's the only time I get to see some of my friends, and I like seeing them, even when the game is driving me nuts.

I just don't know what to do. Should I leave? :unsure: I'm inclined to give it several more sessions, to see if things get better.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it isn't fun, why bother anymore.

when repeated attempts to address the issues of malcontentment our group was facing with our GM over similar issues failed we made significant changes.

we removed the GM from the game, changed locations to avoid conflicts and embarked on a new campaign. we lost one player in the process but have since added two new ones and recaptured two others who left before our changes.

if communicating with the GM doesn't work, I recommend a break. It is a good time of year to take a break, with the approaching holiday season and all. And it could motivate the others to find alternate transportation sources. Don't feel like you ruin the game if you don't play, you do them a favor with transportation.

Try GMing a while yourself, or let one of the others GM.

Although, I do have to say after playing Vampire for quite a few years, there's only so much you can do before it gets rather stale.

Fight the hunters, did that, fight the lupine, been there done that wore the t-shirt out, Camarilla vs. Sabbat, woa boy have I been there, from both sides.

So my true advice is to probably switch to a new game, that allow you to develop far more interesting and less restrictive plotlines.

Every long term campaign has troubles like this.

It is difficult to tell from your posr, did the GM just decide to do this, or did you guys have any say over what happened? If you haven't yet, I think it's important to talk to the GM in plain language and tell him that this change in the campaigne is upsetting you and making the game less fun.

My long term group (we've been playing once or twice a week since 3rd edition came out.. like 5 years now I think) has recently started to make a concious effort to talk about these meta-gaming issue. It's been a little rough, but overall the gaming is more fun.

The only other comment I'll offer is the gamer's mantra: No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Hob

if it isn't fun, why bother anymore.

I totally agree.

If you find yourself not having any fun or it is obvious too you that he is taking things away because you are successful it won't improve. Yea it sucks but it would be a worth while change to a different game. (Alternate RPG or board game)

• Super Administrators
Yea it sucks but it would be a worth while change to a different game. (Alternate RPG or board game)

May I suggest

warlord_logo.gif

?

:;):

I've had to leave and/or reorganize groups before. It was somewhat painful to do at the time, but it all worked out for the best.

kit

Next session have everyone discuss the issues. If everybody doesn't get a warm fuzzy then take a break.

I totally agree with this statement. Just before the session starts.. say that we need to discuss how the game is going. Bring up your issues and that you are contemplatinig taking a break/quit because of those issues.. and that you want to resolve them because you enjoy the comrraderie so much. Give the others time to pipe up as well about it. The DM should have discussed it with the group instead of just jumping into the situation you are in now. As a DM it is his right to do so.. but it is also the DM's responsibilty to make sure the players are having fun.. not just him/her. If the players are not having fun.. no more players.. harsh lesson.. if he learns from it.. instead of just doing that over and over. Communication is a good thing as long as it is constructive and not a type of conversation that someone is getting fingers pointed at them and being blamed for things.. anotherwords.. when bringing this up to the DM make sure when you do that you tell him nicely that this game is going to end for you because you do not feel like it is fair for the players for this reason.... make sense?

I'll admit I am the GM most of the time. It sounds to me that the GM in your game has been a little heavy handed. Somtimes I feel like doing things like that, but I know its no fun for players.

I'd talk to the GM about it. Explain why you feel this way (that post was good ::D: ) and discuss it. If he wont yield, then the only option may be to leave.

The game is supposed to be fun for all, players and GM alike.

Since its almost like starting again, you could suggest a change for a while. A new game or new system, if only for a while. I once made a rule for the Shadowrun system. Anyone who bought the rulebook had to be GM for at least one session, to show them what it is like.

Mybe your GM has been doing it so long he's forgotten what its like to be a player. :huh:

Group I used to be in always had at least two systems going and we'd alternate each week which game we played as well as who was the GM. On D&D weekends my friend was DM, on Shadowrun weekends I was GM. Probably a good thing our "Problem Gamer" wasn't a GM for our games. (I think every group has one.) Anyway, that kept things fresh, gave the guy running the game time to prep, and most importantly time to see it from the other side of the screen. This might be a strategy your group might want to try.

I usually end up as GM for our games(Conan, Heroes Unlimited, D&D). I always try to make it fun for all involved...I try to make it the kind of game I would like to be in. I come up with everything, but I usually try to get a bit of input from those playing as to what they'd like in a game, or what their character's goals are. Then I can work them into the game(if they're within reason). My friends have always enjoyed the games I've run, and I would feel bad if they weren't having fun. Like others above stated already, if you're not having fun, why waste time playing that game when you can find something else that you will enjoy?

Whatever you decide, good luck! :B):