Coolest D&D Campaign Module?

VelveteenRabbit

Ok, due to time constraints I will no longer be able to devote half my waking hours to keeping a cool game going and was wondering if anyone has any good experiences with the longer campaign modules that are out there.

I tried running the World's Largest Dungeon but have quickly decided that it's so completely devoid in plot that I can hardly get into it let alone get my players to invest much energy into it. I like a good blend of action to role-playing and really like games that are well balanced for power levels as well...

Reccomendations?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we just finished "Of Sound Mind" by Kevin Kulp. it is a 3.0 offering but was not too difficult to upgrade to 3.5. and having Kulp as an occasional gaming buddy it was neat to get additional insight and suggestions regarding the module that helped it flow even more smoothly.

the last party we had ran through an updated "Hall of the Fire Giant King".

I played with a group that went through Temple of Elemental Evil. It was quite the wild ride and the DM gave the villians interesting personalities. It's also a very dangerous module as alot of the action takes place far away from cities...spell casters have to rest to regain spells. Not the easiest thing to do in hostile territory.

About a year later, Lady Tam ran the module, and let me play even though I let her know that I've played in that one. Different group, different charecter, however, I still had fun and didn't meta game. Besides, I failed all my Will saves against fear and ran away from about everything.

Temple of Elemental Evil is also one of my favourite "classic" campaigns. If you're interested in something my "current", I suggest you look at The Shackled City which is a compilation of adventures that ran in Dungeon Magazine over a period of ~16 months. This campaign is designed to take characters right from 1st level to 20th+.

AJC

yah the shackled city "Dungeon Mag" was a pretty good read, it would be a neat campaign to go through, the current run Age of Worms looks like a good one as well.

best one I've ever ran through, hmmm playerwise, Temple of EE was a fun one, DM even thou it was vastly out of order, the Grand Conjunction for Ravenloft was a pretty decent set of modules.

been so long since I DM/played in a game I'd take anything right about now, ha ha

Randy M

Ok, due to time constraints I will no longer be able to devote half my waking hours to keeping a cool game going and was wondering if anyone has any good experiences with the longer campaign modules that are out there.

Well... I don't have much recent experience... my exposure was mostly to "old school" D&D/AD&D. The first long-term campaign I ever played was the Slavers (A series) modules of AD&D. I have very fond memories of them, though since it's been around 25 years since I play them, I have to quantify that by saying a much, much younger me liked them a lot. I don't know how hard they would be to convert to D20, tho'.

I am running The Shackled City at the moment.. and i must say it is one of the better mods I have ran that is a campaign style adventure. Though I did like the Original Temple of Elemental Evil.. and the Underdark box set :) The Worlds Largest Dungeon if I ever get it I will use as a Referance book to stick parts of the dungeon in my campaign world, in random areas. I did not see much of a plot in it either. Another good light hearted campaign style adventure though is the Castle Greyhawk! It is hilarious and it is meant to be taken very lightly.. so if your style of gaming is not one of lighthearttedness.. it is not a good one to play.. but a FUN read though. I especially like the Original Star Trek Crew in there.. Bones (skeleton), Spock (Drow Elf), Kirk and Checkov.. which I forget what he was.. but the interaction between them is hilarious.. not to mention Mordenkanions Movie set with an ancient red dragon stuck up star on the set :)

well I digress.. I will probably think of more at a later time, like Dungeon land and Land byond the mirror

The best module I enjoyed playing with as GM was B10 - Night's Dark Terror. A great outdoor adventure designed around levels 2-4 with a well defined plot, lots of character interaction as well as combat. It is out of print but if you happen to run across it somewhere, get it.

One that I played in was a module by Judges' Guild called the Caverns of Thracia. It was for both low and high level but it was very deadly with a lot of plot and dungeon twists. Not only mulileveled but even some areas on each level were not at the same elevations. Extremely difficult to map. Highly recommended if you come across it.

rm

I enjoyed running a few of the Greyhawk Adventures especially the Giant series, they have been updated I believe. But the best are out of the Dungeon Magazine recently. I've been able to find these magazines at Half Price Books (used), at Borders, at Barnes and Noble and full price or sometimes in the bargain bin at the FLGS. My favorite adventure is for early Advanced D&D, I have it stored away at the moment and can't remember the title. The concept is for a group of adventurer's to explore a crashed spaceship. It was the starting point for Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World.

Heh, you're referring to Expedition to Barrier Peaks. It's the first AD&D game that I ever played and it burned me on AD&D, I decided I wanted my games to be straight fantasy and wouldn't do any AD&D for years because of it. Played basic until I was about 13 or so before I realized that one module was not par for the course...

Good advice though. Think I'll pick up a copy of Shackled City! Sounds like a worthy investment.

Thanks all!

Shackle City is now in one giant hardback book by Paizo (see their website for more info) price is 50 thou, thought I'd warn yah on that one. the book has extra stuff that wasn't in the dungeon run, but for the most part the mag & the book are the same adventure.

I started gettin Dungeon magazine 1 issue before 1st part, (which kind of ticks me off!!!) but I want to get the older 3e Dungeon issues anyways so I'll just look for it while browsin ebay or other discount places.

Shackle City is now in one giant hardback book by Paizo (see their website for more info) price is 50 thou, thought I'd warn yah on that one. the book has extra stuff that wasn't in the dungeon run, but for the most part the mag & the book are the same adventure.

I started gettin Dungeon magazine 1 issue before 1st part, (which kind of ticks me off!!!) but I want to get the older 3e Dungeon issues anyways so I'll just look for it while browsin ebay or other discount places.

Owning both the book and all the Dungeon Magazines for the Shackled City.. I prefer the book the be honest for one it has an extra adventure.. and it has tons of extras not to mention all the DM referance material AND the players referance material in one convenient area. Besides if you do NOT have all the magazines for some reason.. it is ALOT cheaper to buy the book then all the back issues of the magazines too.. Not to mention the book holds up better then individual magazines. So I would highly recommend the book and the campaign style of the adventure itself too :)

-j

We're playing our way through the Shackled City right now. We're only just between the second and third adventures, and so far it's been great fun. I'm playing a gnome ranger, which is a challenging combination to work out, but it's still loads of fun.

I've been gaming with our DM for along time, as a fellow player and a victim, so I know he has alot of experience. He really likes the campaign, and talks up the well-rounded NPC's, clever dungeon design, and good storyline. He picked up the inidividual Dungeon issues all along the first Adventure Path, and we ordered the hardcover book for him at Origins. Sounds like the book corrects alot of errors from the individual issues, makes a few small changes here and there, adds alot of background story material and a whole new adventure early in the story arc.

So, for a complete, published campaign, I recommend the Shackled City.