Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

For fun or profit

Hello Everyone,

We begin the second adventure using GURPS Traveller, Second edition, by Steve Jackson Games and GURPS Lite character generation rules also by Steve Jackson Games.  For those who have access to other GURPS products (basic rules, other Traveller books and etc.) feel free to use them and just PM me with questions.  The games and elements mentioned above are in use for fun and are used in the manner specified by the publisher Steve Jackson Games.

OK, that takes care of the legalese.

I am currently working on a backup computer.  The new computer's modem went blewie.  This may slow down my posting, but we had planned for me to post and allow three to five days for your replies.  This translates to my updates on Sunday or Monday, your replies coming in until Friday and then I get Saturday and Sunday to make the rolls and adjust the adventure.  If we move faster than that it will be fine but a few of you have mentioned that with other commitments the relaxed week long schedule would be great.  And for individual issues there is always the ooc chat or PM.

:D

And so another day dawns on Darenget.  You awaken in your comfortable room in the berthing for Hanger A3I4 on the Fomori Landing Field.  You have been on this planet for a week, you ship has been removed to a local shipyard for repairs and refitting.  That procedure will be finished in another week.  You know that four of you are hard pressed to run a Starship and you have been interviewing crew.

There is an exNavy Chief Petty Officer named Wallace who would fit in nicely.  He has been by twice.  Amongst the group that you rescued there are three who would like to hire on.  Jerps (M), Kirl(M) and Calista(F) are all from a world in the Imperium and are versed in moving cargo, maintenance, pilot watches and simple engineering.  They are human but their skin is grey green, a genetic manipulation to withstand acidic atmospheres caused this change. 

There are some interesting things in terms of jobs:

1.  A posting in the local trade news has a cargo of medicine to be carried to Alcarac for delivery to the Marine Base there, this is a battle line position.

2.  An archaeological expidition would like to hire a 200 ton trader or other vessel for one year to go to a scouted system outside Federation Space and at the end of the dig go on to Stellos System in the Imperium.

3.  A cargo of alcoholic beverages for delivery to the Navy Base at ViLo Huth.  Also a frontline position.

4.  There is a rumor, as there is in many places where spacers gather, that a map program to treasures untold is available from someone in the port.  For passage off world only!  In this case, you have met the woman-a musician in a local Club who has a map to gems from a high gravity world.  Two days ago, the market value for gems of that sort went skyrocketing.  The military wants them for some reason.

:D JASE, happily ensconced in a local AI-Robotic Body (with a backup good to four days ago in file on NICK's hand held computer) has been inventorying the gear that remains in the ship bay in three 4x3x10 meter container boxes.  This is all the personal gear and general equipment and tools.  Much of the equipment on the BULVIES belonged to MiLady Amie and was on loan for your contract.  

Also, you have had bids on the two fighter craft parked in the hanger.  When the Free Trader is returned you will have to buy a ships boat or other small craft.  That was not part of the original deal.  And there is the computer work to officially change the name of the BULVIES.

intercomm: "Attention, attention. This is your captain speaking! (chuckle). Milady the Inestimable Sira has been declared Director of Personel Selection and will be interviewing, debriefing and brainwashing into unswerving loyalty all applicants for careers with the So-Far-We-Just-Call-It-The-Bulvies Corporation. I hate that job anyway.

Please note that our health package now covers aparent resurection! Where else but SFWJCITB Inc?

Nick, Employee of the Month, please report to the captain that he may bathe in the warm light of your presence, and consult vis-a-vis possible routes to the glorious future. We are delighted to report that the ship is currently free of rats, roaches, lice, and demonic possession. Good day."

Nick stiffles a giggle at the announcement and proceeds to the Captain.

"Thank you, sir.  I have been working on processing the ship's name change, we have to actually submit the new name now if we wish to continue.  Our next course is something I have been wondering about myself.  Where to next?"

As she stands there, cocking her head to one side, to await his response, the giggle escapes.  And develops into a hearty laugh.  She has to sit down.

Joshua strikes a chest-outwards pose. "I expect MATURITY AND POISE from the crew of the Illustrious Bullvies Or Something! Desist, lest I revoke your amazing and very expensive priviledges as Employee of the Month!"

"Get you a coffee? As to destination, we need quite a large sum of money to keep our lady here afloat, it's more a matter of how we choose to make it and what we're willing to risk in the process."

He indicates Nick's virtual star-charts. "We may even have the opportunity to expand on your mapping, there, which bears thinking about, and then there's logistics of jumps and so-on, I thought we might go over some of our options...."

Nick just smiles.

"Yes sir, I would like a coffee, but please let me get them, you do want one too?"  At his postive response she fixes two mugs of the beverage.

"How to make our money, hmm, I don't have many moral quandries with the options currently facing us.  I prefer to not be hunted as a lawbreaker, but if we must bend some rules to make ends meet I would not object.  The two frontline deliveries if could be combined, might just make the inherant danger profitable.  The dig sounds rather long term, we might want to consider if we want to commit that long to them.  The gem hunt, that Lady we met with, well, she is not telling us all, we are walking into another blind trip with her, just like we did with this one."

She sips some of her mug before continuing, "I think I would prefer to build some positive reputation and the deliveries to the front would do that.  If they are combinable that would be perfect, one trip two cargos. Otherwise, I suggest the medicine would be my suggested cargo, support the military in a humane mission.  Good Karma builder."

"Just some early thoughts on the available jobs, I do bow to your judgement and respect your decisions.  What do Sira and Arn suggest?  And about Arn, Sir, you had expressed concern about his loyalties.  I respectfully support his loyalties to us, he does appear to be totally with us.  However, only time will tell, and I reserve the right to commit a formal opinion until such time as they have been tested."

"Need more coffee, Sir?"

"With your permission, sir." and at his approval, Nick opens the door to Arn.

"Coffee?  I was just refilling our cups, how do you take it?"

Sira enters a few moments later. She hands over a data disc to Joshua "Here are the people I asked to hire on. Three of them are from that crew we rescued, Jerps, Kirl and Clalista. the fourth is an ex navy petty officer, Wallace. I think they will all work out quite well. They have been assigned rooms and told they can start moving in as soon as they want." She turns to leave, spies Arn and smiles. Looking him from head to toe and then back up, she smiles even broader and winks. "Looking good, Arn." The she heads towards the door. Pauseing, looks back. "Ill be back in a little bit. I got some business to take care of." and she heads out.

LT

Arn nods to Nick as he enters, removing his cover out of military courtesy. He is again dressed in his black bodysuit and blue over-tunic. His boots are the same, wonderfully broken in but almost glowing in their shine. At Nick's question, he says “Black, please.” and politely waits for the beverage. When Nick returns, he thanks her, reaching out to take it. It's then when both the Captain and Nick see the burnished metal and vulcanized rubber pads of his mechanical hand, the pipes and tubes seem to have replaced his arm, as well. This is no sleek and stylish model of prosthetic, but very efficient, possibly armored, as well. A hand that could crush doors takes the ceramic cup delicately, thanking Nick for the beverage. After a sip, he says “Quite good, thank you.”

Turning to the Captain, he says. “Sir. Do you still have an opening aboard the ship?”

--lstormhammer

Sira pauses, tilts her head as if thinking, then turns back into the room. "Nothing that can't be taken care of later. And she walks back and takes a seat. "Besides the new crew, what are we talking about?"

LT

"If I may sir?"  and continues at his approval.

"I have the ship's name change started, it is time for a new name to be submitted."

"We were also discussing the future endeavors of our business.  Which of the offered options we have looks most profitable in terms of funds and lives.  We were about to address the crew situation, or, Sir, that was next on my list anyway, when the pair of you arrived."

"Ah, well on the topic of crew, while I am thinking about it. That Wallace, whose info I gave you. I highly recomend him. He really knows his stuff, and he has been very persistant." here Sira smiles, after all he had already been by twice. "He's ex-navy, he and Arn should hit it off just fab." Here she cracks a teasing smile at Arn. "Any other pertinent stuff is there in his file."

LT

Joshua leans back, lacing his fingers behind his (alledgedly prematurely) grey head, and grins broadly. His feet find something around desk-height to prop on, as he murmurs:

"So efficient. I hardly need to do a thing."

He sits forward agian, restlessly. Coffee sloshes alarmingly at the gesture, as he waves his mug in a broad salute.

"Arn, I saved you a cigar. Welcome back. Oh, yes, I have a cigar each to celebrate the unh.... "successful" completion of our previous mission. But I prefer to contemplate the future! I suggest we rename our illustrious ship the "Wanderlust" and go integrate our new crew. Then we begin the exciting business of getting supplies into a military zone without getting our hindquarter shot off."

"Okay, on second thoughts, we go meet our new crew, and THEN we rename and sally forth, or something in that vein..."

"On third thoughts, maybe I should finish this coffee before I spill it down my front..."

Arn listens to the Captain, remaining standing. Something about military courtesies again. At the offer of the cigar, Arn politly declines.

"So I'll assume I'm needed here, in that case the gear I already stowed away in my former room won't have to move. Captain? May I reccomend while we're in port to have an Armory created? Someplace other than my own office, that is. It should be a simple process, find a room with limited access, including ventilation, add a secure access door, and store the weaponry there."

Arn pulls out a small datareader, and glances at his notes. "You seem to be in a relaxed state, sir. So the rest of these items shall wait. I'll make a copy and queue them to your computer."

Arn finishes the coffee and looks at Sira. "Navy, hmm? Shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep their rum ration supplied."

...was that a joke from Arn?

--lstormhammer