Giant Foo Dog 2487

Redfeild

Being a fan of all things asian I picked this one up.

I'm not painting this yet but I do have some questions.

What exactly is a Foo Dog?

Are they always giant?

Is this figure suposed to be a kind of statue? It kind of looks like some thing you would see out side a chinees resteraunt.

What color is it suposed to be painted?

Are there pictures I can reference?

Will there ever be normal sized Foo Dogs?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Foo Dogs are guardian spirits in Chinese mythology - originally used in and around Buddhist temples (Buddha in Chinese is Fo). They have since become popular for use outside of houses and businesses in China and Korea.

As far as coloring goes - most the pictures of paintings I have here show them to be golden colored...like a Chow. Some are a bit lighter - nearly white...though the paintings could have been faded. There is a Foo creature on the cover of the Old Oriental Adventures book if I remember correctly too.

Giant? Don't know. In the D&D system they are always pretty big.

As a side note - that mini looks more Foo Lion to me than Dog. The Foo lions were protectors of the imperial family and holdings in ancient China. They had longer tails and larger, more square mouth than the Foo dog did.

Foo Dogs are guardian spirits in Chinese mythology - originally used in and around Buddhist temples (Buddha in Chinese is Fo). They have since become popular for use outside of houses and businesses in China and Korea.

As far as coloring goes - most the pictures of paintings I have here show them to be golden colored...like a Chow. Some are a bit lighter - nearly white...though the paintings could have been faded. There is a Foo creature on the cover of the Old Oriental Adventures book if I remember correctly too.

Giant? Don't know. In the D&D system they are always pretty big.

As a side note - that mini looks more Foo Lion to me than Dog. The Foo lions were protectors of the imperial family and holdings in ancient China. They had longer tails and larger, more square mouth than the Foo dog did.

THere are actual Chinese foo dogs.. they look like a chow in coloring without the black tongue :) They are an unusual breed too from what I was able to pick up from it.

http://www.rarebreed.com/breeds/foo/foo.html

Thanks.

Looking at the different picters of the Foo Dog I could get a dozon of these guys and not paint them the same twice.

I never got the TSR Oriental Adventures book. I played an even older game called Bushido with some guys for a few months and got hooked on that. I did later get the WotC Oriental Adventures and was very dissapointed. They had a Ninja Scout Prestige Class but if you wanted to get the plain Ninja Core Class you had to buy LotFR D20. I felt riped off. It was the beganing of my disillosion with WotC.

The real life Foo Dog is adorable! I want one!

Thanks again.

I tried to get one of my players to pursue a foo dog as a familiar for his wizard but he said, naw. So now that foo dog mini serves as a lesser devil that sometimes can be counted on to give advice or guidance when the group really needs it....

I gave it a pretty simple paint job, and it can definitely take lots more detail and deserves it.

Have fun with it.

post-1987-1132514660_thumb.jpg